Cheezit Bowl Press Conferences - from Orlando Sunday

Nah. He’s a great example. How do you get to shine in games when Wiggins is getting 79 snaps and doing nothing but is apparently an Energizer Bunny in practice. I doubt the freshmans were loafing in practice anyway. Coaches need a better feel between practice heroes and gamers.
Agreed on practice vs games. With the WR, the vets had great games when they were called out, and the freshman went on the unavailable list. Hopefully the whole **** receivers room follows Harley in building their relationships with King and the QBs.

King should get tired of seeing them and the other two QBs they are around him so much.

Advertisement
Ive never understood the best players in practice playing. Of course you have studs who shine no matter what bc they’re freaks, but some guys are just gamers and are scrappy. Just bc you don’t excel going 80% against teammates in shorts shouldn’t mean anything. The only thing that matters is who shows up when the lights come on. Of course you can’t put anything past a coaching staff who wouldn’t start GR15 bc of practice lmao

practicing well absolutely matters... why would you play someone that sucks in practice??? Would you go to battle with someone that you watched freeze up all week when it was time to shoot?

I watched Huff get out there and look good but had to be told what to do on every play. Luckily it was garbage time or else how do you play a guy that doesn’t know the plays? Then People will be on here screaming about how unprepared we look!

Last edited:
Lol which record is he remotely close to?
Saw this today in a 247 article:

If Harley does take advantage of his extra year of eligibility at the college level, he will likely leave UM as one of the most produce five receivers in school history.
Harley currently has totaled 1,546 career receiving yards, 117 receptions, and nine touchdowns for his career. He is currently 1,000 yards behind the school’s all-time leader in receiving yards, Santana Moss, and needs 673 yards to top Stacy Coley and be top five in school history in receiving yards.
Harley is currently 56 receptions behind the school’s all-time receptions leader, Reggie Wayne as well.

Saw this today in a 247 article:

If Harley does take advantage of his extra year of eligibility at the college level, he will likely leave UM as one of the most produce five receivers in school history.
Harley currently has totaled 1,546 career receiving yards, 117 receptions, and nine touchdowns for his career. He is currently 1,000 yards behind the school’s all-time leader in receiving yards, Santana Moss, and needs 673 yards to top Stacy Coley and be top five in school history in receiving yards.
Harley is currently 56 receptions behind the school’s all-time receptions leader, Reggie Wayne as well.
Rooting for the kid and loved the improvement I saw this year but that is shocking to me

Lashlee thinks Mike Harley would benefit from another year at Miami. He says he has to make the best decision for himself, though.

Lashlee says N'Kosi loves Miami. He says he is set to graduate in the spring and that is a big deal for his family.
Lashlee says N'Kosi has made it clear that he wants to play, so they will have to figure out his future after the bowl game.
Congratulations to the guy; hope he finds success wherever he ends up

Advertisement
This has been an issue since Coker. Coaches without feel for decision-making don't know how to make player personnel decisions under pressure, so they resort to 'whoever practiced better.' It's not that that's irrational - it's a logical thing to resort to if you don't have any other instincts or information. But good coaches need to see past that, to have a feel for who makes plays in games. It's really a more general point because we've been seeing the consequences of this mindset for ages. Practice matters but ultimately, playmaking in games matters most. A coach has to have a feel for his players and guts to make decisions.
Crazy to me that they played Zion all of last year and put him through fire, but they won't play Smith or Restrepo more consistently

Crazy to me that they played Zion all of last year and put him through fire, but they won't play Smith or Restrepo more consistently
They didn't play Zion out of choice.

All those people who talk about how we have had more nfl draft picks on OL than Clemson, makes you wonder whether they can form any independent conclusions or they just regurgitate stats they read on troll threads. I mean, try to draw a line through their datapoints and Zion playing LT as an undersized, under-strengthed 2* true frosh last year.

practicing well absolutely matters... why would you play someone that sucks in practice??? Would you go to battle with someone that you watched freeze up all week when it was time to shoot?

I watched Huff get out there and look good but had to be told what to do on every play. Luckily it was garbage time or else how do you play a guy that doesn’t know the plays? Then People will be on here screaming about how unprepared we look!

I never said play somebody who is lost in practice or somebody who sucked. I said playing someone solely bc they had a better week in practice and not bc they are the actual better player is asinine.

I never said play somebody who is lost in practice or somebody who sucked. I said playing someone solely bc they had a better week in practice and not bc they are the actual better player is asinine.
It’s a hard line to walk. We all talk about culture and part of that is rewarding effort, attitude, intensity.

Obviously we all want the best players to play but if there’s situations where obvious talent isn’t taking care of what he should be, it’s hard to reward that and keep the locker room. Some guys will understand that the best players play, but many will see it as preferential treatment.

No one player is more important than the squad. This is one of the few things I will not fault Manny for trying to instill.

Advertisement
Not sure if this got posted but it sounds like more key players coming back. Hopefully Bubba and Jordan.

73E62423-56D1-4A2F-A1F2-C47225E6AF31.jpeg

Not sure if this got posted but it sounds like more key players coming back. Hopefully Bubba and Jordan.

View attachment 138991
I feel like the question will continually be asked, but what’s the achievable ceiling for this team next year, if most of the key pieces return?

I guess this will also have to include our new DC, depending on who that is?

It’s a hard line to walk. We all talk about culture and part of that is rewarding effort, attitude, intensity.

Obviously we all want the best players to play but if there’s situations where obvious talent isn’t taking care of what he should be, it’s hard to reward that and keep the locker room. Some guys will understand that the best players play, but many will see it as preferential treatment.

No one player is more important than the squad. This is one of the few things I will not fault Manny for trying to instill.
I see what you are saying but the case you’re making isn’t the one I’m against. I never said you shouldn’t have to try at practice. There’s things that need to be taken care of and punishments for other things, sure, but there is no explaining GR15 not starting the first half of the season last year. There’s a broader argument to be had about practice vs game

I feel like the question will continually be asked, but what’s the achievable ceiling for this team next year, if most of the key pieces return?

I guess this will also have to include our new DC, depending on who that is?

I still start with winning the coastal. Until we do that, I don’t care what our paper roster shows. This team needs to win the coastal and get a shot at Clemson in Charlotte. That should be goal #1 next year.

Advertisement
I see what you are saying but the case you’re making isn’t the one I’m against. I never said you shouldn’t have to try at practice. There’s things that need to be taken care of and punishments for other things, sure, but there is no explaining GR15 not starting the first half of the season last year. There’s a broader argument to be had about practice vs game
I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but my understanding was that they were easing Greg back into his amount of snaps slowly as he came back from his injury.

Even during the year he was redshirted it was obvious how much talent he had, the staff wasn’t intentionally leaving a 1st round talent off the field for no reason.

Back to the original point, I’m sure our views probably overlap a little honestly but to me, you gotta reward people for practicing well. That’s part of the meritocracy.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but my understanding was that they were easing Greg back into his amount of snaps slowly as he came back from his injury.

Even during the year he was redshirted it was obvious how much talent he had, the staff wasn’t intentionally leaving a 1st round talent off the field for no reason.

Back to the original point, I’m sure our views probably overlap a little honestly but to me, you gotta reward people for practicing well. That’s part of the meritocracy.

The goal is to win so you reward the people who play the best during games. That doesn’t mean those same guys can not practice but there has to be a balance. Rarely is someone gonna play every snap but you can’t keep someone off the field who gives you the best chance to win.

Advertisement
They didn't play Zion out of choice.

All those people who talk about how we have had more nfl draft picks on OL than Clemson, makes you wonder whether they can form any independent conclusions or they just regurgitate stats they read on troll threads. I mean, try to draw a line through their datapoints and Zion playing LT as an undersized, under-strengthed 2* true frosh last year.
Seriously misused/underdeveloped talent that can be utilized in the NFL. That's the line. Like that fine girl who was always treated wrong by her ex then finally stepped out w/ someone else and a whole diff person now. That's UM, the s****y ex-boyfriend.

Seriously misused/underdeveloped talent that can be utilized in the NFL. That's the line. Like that fine girl who was always treated wrong by her ex then finally stepped out w/ someone else and a whole diff person now. That's UM, the s****y ex-boyfriend.
You have the Cinderella theory of U.M. football. Hate to break it to you, but that's a fairy tale.

Sure, we've misused our talent. But if you think that's a sufficient explanation for what's gone wrong with this program, then you are living in a Disney movie.

The job of the staff is a lot bigger than finding some marginal NFL talents here or there, now and then. And finding them isn't some indication that we're doing that much well. Play enough scratch-off lottery tickets, and you'll get some winners. But overall, you're burning money.

Advertisement
Back