Cheezit Bowl Press Conferences - from Orlando Sunday

Advertisement
They will let Harley back if he wants to come back.
Why wouldn't they let him back? I know that he is not up there with top Miami receivers of the past, but he was clearly our best WR this year and considering non of the youngins were able to get much playing time, I don't think enough WRs are going to have the type of jump that would justify asking him to move one.

Dude completely went in the tank any time they took carries from him. He's a "me" guy. If you're going to be a me guy, you better be an absolute star, and he isn't.

He better transfer somewhere he can get 90% of the load. He ain’t getting that here and there’s no room for him to be in his feelings. This program has enough culture issues as it is

Advertisement
Lashlee said the younger receivers didn’t get as many reps because the older wideouts simply practiced better.

He did point to Xavier Restrepo, Keyshawn Smith and Mike Redding as flashing at times.
This has been an issue since Coker. Coaches without feel for decision-making don't know how to make player personnel decisions under pressure, so they resort to 'whoever practiced better.' It's not that that's irrational - it's a logical thing to resort to if you don't have any other instincts or information. But good coaches need to see past that, to have a feel for who makes plays in games. It's really a more general point because we've been seeing the consequences of this mindset for ages. Practice matters but ultimately, playmaking in games matters most. A coach has to have a feel for his players and guts to make decisions.

This has been an issue since Coker. Coaches without feel for decision-making don't know how to make player personnel decisions under pressure, so they resort to 'whoever practiced better.' It's not that that's irrational - it's a logical thing to resort to if you don't have any other instincts or information. But good coaches need to see past that, to have a feel for who makes plays in games. It's really a more general point because we've been seeing the consequences of this mindset for ages. Practice matters but ultimately, playmaking in games matters most. A coach has to have a feel for his players and guts to make decisions.
Iverson.

Our coaches have been so devoid of feel for so long I've almost become used to that "they practiced better" tome. It makes sense to dopey fans, so maybe that's why they say it. But they need to develop a better feel for guys who are capable of making football plays and not just guys who finish every rep in practice. Wiggins is one of those practice warriors. Then he eats up 75 reps per game and disappears. The only time you see him is when he's getting physically throttled by freshmans DBs.

Lashlee doesn’t seem to care if Cam leaves.

Kosi is gone and they will help him find a team.

Rivers is going to be a starter next year in the line.

They are going to let McCloud come back and play DE next year.

They will let Harley back if he wants to come back.

Bubba is thinking about going to the NFL but knows he needs to come back. I’d put him at 50/50 right now.

my assumption from those quotes today
Bingo. Justice said once Rivers gets in the lineup he isn’t coming out. Perry is 100% gone and they don’t give a **** if Cam goes. Seems like he’s a cancer in the locker room.

Ive never understood the best players in practice playing. Of course you have studs who shine no matter what bc they’re freaks, but some guys are just gamers and are scrappy. Just bc you don’t excel going 80% against teammates in shorts shouldn’t mean anything. The only thing that matters is who shows up when the lights come on. Of course you can’t put anything past a coaching staff who wouldn’t start GR15 bc of practice lmao

Advertisement
Iverson.

Our coaches have been so devoid of feel for so long I've almost become used to that "they practiced better" tome. It makes sense to dopey fans, so maybe that's why they say it. But they need to develop a better feel for guys who are capable of making football plays and not just guys who finish every rep in practice. Wiggins is one of those practice warriors. Then he eats up 75 reps per game and disappears. The only time you see him is when he's getting physically throttled by freshmans DBs.
Iverson is the classic example, and on my mind when I wrote that. Jimmy had that feel in football also. Few greats are like Reed or Jordan.

And re practice, part of the issue is we don't even hit fully or consistently in practice. Receivers, especially, making plays under game conditions is not like practice. It sounds obvious to say that but our staff never seems to indicate it grasps that. Been frustrating for so long!

Iverson is the classic example, and on my mind when I wrote that. Jimmy had that feel in football also. Few greats are like Reed or Jordan.

And re practice, part of the issue is we don't even hit fully or consistently in practice. Receivers, especially, making plays under game conditions is not like practice. It sounds obvious to say that but our staff never seems to indicate it grasps that. Been frustrating for so long!
Iverson got a pass b/c he was Iverson and had already proven himself so he didn't need to go hard in practice (he won the scoring title the year prior to the rant). These kids have not proven themselves at the college level so they don't get that excuse to not go hard in practice (which it doesn't sound like effort is the issue).

Now one can argue that some people make plays in games and others don't but, again - I don't think Iverson is the right analogy here. Iverson would make sense as the analogy if WRs that were highly productive in games were not playing b/c less productive players were playing in their place b/c they practiced harder.

And none of the young WRs really made any standout plays in the limited action they did get (I realize the less time, the less opportunities). Restrepo did not inspire much confidence with his opportunities as a punt returner (yes, I get that is a different position, but he did show he was undisciplined at times there). Let's also not forget that young WRs often don't see earlier playing time and I am sure it was even tougher for them this year with no spring practice.

Iverson got a pass b/c he was Iverson and had already proven himself so he didn't need to go hard in practice (he won the scoring title the year prior to the rant). These kids have not proven themselves at the college level so they don't get that excuse to not go hard in practice (which it doesn't sound like effort is the issue).

Now one can argue that some people make plays in games and others don't but, again - I don't think Iverson is the right analogy here. Iverson would make sense as the analogy if WRs that were highly productive in games were not playing b/c less productive players were playing in their place b/c they practiced harder.

And none of the young WRs really made any standout plays in the limited action they did get (I realize the less time, the less opportunities). Restrepo did not inspire much confidence with his opportunities as a punt returner (yes, I get that is a different position, but he did show he was undisciplined at times there). Let's also not forget that young WRs often don't see earlier playing time and I am sure it was even tougher for them this year with no spring practice.

I think you let the more senior guys get more snaps to start the season, then throttle up the younger guys as the older ones underperform. It's not all or nothing. What I found frustrating is that even with Harley, Wiggins and Pope all disappearing for major parts of the early games, the younger guys got very little burn. Then Covid hit and they were out. So we never got to see much of them.

Harley did get a hot hand in the final few games, and Pope and Wiggins caught a few nice balls. But I never saw a #1 out there. And there were plenty of times when we could have rotated them in. With most positions, you let them develop a couple of years. With WR, you get them on the field.

Advertisement
Lashlee said the younger receivers didn’t get as many reps because the older wideouts simply practiced better.

He did point to Xavier Restrepo, Keyshawn Smith and Mike Redding as flashing at times.
Who gives a **** how they practiced if they sucked *** in the actual game? Wiggins is the worst receiver I've ever seen at Miami.

Between these tweets and what I read from the OKST side, I can really feel the deep engagement and excitement from both sides. Should be really high quality football on Tuesday afternoon (while most fans are still at work).

But, seriously, maybe there's some personal biased mixed into this sentiment, but reading through the press quotes makes this feel like everyone has a tremendous desire to get this **** over with and take a nap. The OKST coaching quotes were hilarious: "yeah, whatever, i don't know. Obviously, he can run and is dangerous. real dangerous. yeah, things."

Advertisement
What you are describing can be boiled down to a few words: our coaches are a bunch of robots. They can crunch numbers and look at data and make a lot of arguments and decisions based upon that information, but they don't really understand what they are seeing or analyzing. Of course data is important, but you have to understand the game and nuances, and these guys just don't get it. Add to that the fact that Mandy is a poser and as inspiring as a McChicken and you have a recipe for disaster.

Nah. He’s a great example. How do you get to shine in games when Wiggins is getting 79 snaps and doing nothing but is apparently an Energizer Bunny in practice. I doubt the freshmans were loafing in practice anyway. Coaches need a better feel between practice heroes and gamers.

Remember last year how he tried to talk about lingard being a me guy, and how he would never do such a thing!
One was dreaming of the Gators, the other played for the Hurricanes!

The one that played for the Hurricanes played and did pretty decent. The other got little run....

We love to attack our own

Advertisement
Back