Cheezit Bowl Press Conferences - from Orlando Sunday

This has been an issue since Coker. Coaches without feel for decision-making don't know how to make player personnel decisions under pressure, so they resort to 'whoever practiced better.' It's not that that's irrational - it's a logical thing to resort to if you don't have any other instincts or information. But good coaches need to see past that, to have a feel for who makes plays in games. It's really a more general point because we've been seeing the consequences of this mindset for ages. Practice matters but ultimately, playmaking in games matters most. A coach has to have a feel for his players and guts to make decisions.

I wonder if some of the whole "he practiced better" philosophy stems from an overreactive terror of entitled players. We've heard/seen for years that we have players who think they deserve playing time based on their star ranking or offer sheet or where they went to school or just a failure to recruit better players at their position. I think there's a blanket effort to sqaush that attitude in the name of "culture." Problem is, playing time should really be case by case, but I suspect coaches are too afraid to open the can of worms of "sure player X is a practice warrior, but player Y is just better." At least not until we actually recruit quality depth at every position.

Advertisement
You have the Cinderella theory of U.M. football. Hate to break it to you, but that's a fairy tale.

Sure, we've misused our talent. But if you think that's a sufficient explanation for what's gone wrong with this program, then you are living in a Disney movie.

The job of the staff is a lot bigger than finding some marginal NFL talents here or there, now and then. And finding them isn't some indication that we're doing that much well. Play enough scratch-off lottery tickets, and you'll get some winners. But overall, you're burning money.
That had nothing to do w/ your original comment, I was responding to that. And to that point, people trip over doing stuff right in practice when that leads to 40-something point losses. So practice isn't working or they're putting the wrong people in or both

That had nothing to do w/ your original comment, I was responding to that. And to that point, people trip over doing stuff right in practice when that leads to 40-something point losses. So practice isn't working or they're putting the wrong people in or both
I’ll take ‘what is both’ for $100!

One was dreaming of the Gators, the other played for the Hurricanes!

The one that played for the Hurricanes played and did pretty decent. The other got little run....

We love to attack our own
Far from attacking our own. I'm just saying he talked trash about being a team player when he was getting the carries. How do we know how Lingard would have felt if it was the reverse. Cam is showing us how he would now that he had his carries cut. I wish he would not say anything publically like that. Remains me when Pope was popping off on social media, yet he's done absolutely NOTHING since and he's been given chance after chance.

Far from attacking our own. I'm just saying he talked trash about being a team player when he was getting the carries. How do we know how Lingard would have felt if it was the reverse. Cam is showing us how he would now that he had his carries cut. I wish he would not say anything publically like that. Remains me when Pope was popping off on social media, yet he's done absolutely NOTHING since and he's been given chance after chance.
I don’t care how Lingard feels about anything. Cam had a nice long TD run last night.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back