Chase Smith out for year ?

Started a thread today about Chase potentially moving to safety (not a rumor, just throwing it out there) and someone decided to delete it.

What the heck is up with that? Show yourself.

He was buried on the LB depth chart at the time of injury and we're thin at safety.

He also hasn't added much bulk to his frame and was listed at 6'2 210.

Anyway, here's what 247 said about him as a recruit:

Easily among the most versatile players in the country and could line up at multiple positions at the next level. As a receiver, he uses his length to win jump ball battles and shows the speed to separate. Defensively, he could end up at as a safety or outside ‘backer and really flashes on that side of the ball. He can run down plays from behind, is a big hitter, shows good ball skills and is one of those kids that just always seems to be around the football. He can blitz off the edge as well as drop back in coverage and where he ends up will likely be decided by how much weight he puts on in a few years. He has a safety frame but a linebacker skill set and the closer to the line of scrimmage he plays might be the best way to maximize his enormous skill set. Projects as an impact upper tier Power 5 starter and future mid-high round NFL draft pick
"Safety frame but linebacker skill set and might need to play closer to the LOS to maximize his skill set" sticks out to me. I feel we already have this experiment going on with James Williams. Also Kaleb Spencer is another big safety. LB on the other hand if Francis or Wesley gets hurt we will be scrambling for an impact player.

Advertisement
Started a thread today about Chase potentially moving to safety (not a rumor, just throwing it out there) and someone decided to delete it.

He was buried on the LB depth chart at the time of injury and we're thin at safety.

Easily among the most versatile players in the country and could line up at multiple positions at the next level. As a receiver, he uses his length to win jump ball battles and shows the speed to separate. Defensively, he could end up at as a safety or outside ‘backer and really flashes on that side of the ball. He can run down plays from behind, is a big hitter, shows good ball skills and is one of those kids that just always seems to be around the football. He can blitz off the edge as well as drop back in coverage and where he ends up will likely be decided by how much weight he puts on in a few years. He has a safety frame but a linebacker skill set and the closer to the line of scrimmage he plays might be the best way to maximize his enormous skill set. Projects as an impact upper tier Power 5 starter and future mid-high round NFL draft pick
WTF is wrong with this board?! Every other thread gets locked or deleted now?

I feel we already have this experiment going on with James Williams

The report says Smith is a good hitter, tackler, and has LB skills. Williams hasn't been a particularly good tackler or a big hitter. Not saying he actively avoids contact, but I don't think he's been as physical as we hoped.

Advertisement
chase smith is one of the most talented athletes on defense.
1674360976242.gif

Advertisement
Full go in Fall??? Sorry, but that's way too much missed time. Football is a moving target... he's gonna get passed up if he hasn't already. Looks like weve got an Avery Huff type here.

Give me a number… top 3 talent, 5… 10.

Anything past 5 doesn’t really need to be stated because you should have be talented to play at Miami…period. He definitely has some desired measurables but to this point what has that meant. Counting some people who just left the roster I’m not sure he was top 10 in talent on this defense. Not even considering the incoming kids I say the following are more talented and that’s including what he’s shown when he plays.

LT
Kinchens
Mesidor
Bissainthe
J. Williams

Not knocking him at all just seeking some clarity on the whole “one of the most…” thing.

Advertisement
Full go in Fall??? Sorry, but that's way too much missed time. Football is a moving target... he's gonna get passed up if he hasn't already. Looks like weve got an Avery Huff type here.
If I recall, he said he had a knee injury.

I deleted that one.

I enjoy your schtick, but it’s better in replies than new threads.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back