Charlie Strong

Louisville went 9-4 last year and three of their loses had a combined margin of defeat of 19. He left strong with some talent to work with.

Advertisement
In 2012 Texas had the number 2 recruiting class in the country according to 247sports.

They were overrated losers.

Texas had 5 players drafted in the past two years. Only 2 of those players were picked on the first or second days.

Louisville had 14 players drafted in the past two years, including 4 first rounders and 4 second-day picks.

Strong is another overrated defensive coordinator that has to rely on a guy making 1/10 his salary to win (his offensive coordinator).

Louisville finished 2nd in scoring defense in 2013. The Gators finished 3rd in scoring defense in 2008. South Carolina finished 12th in 2001.

He left all of those defenses as top units. He will do the same at Texas if they let him.

All that talent, 1st round QB and couldn't beat UCONN, Cuse and UCF. 2 at home. Only 1 of those wins was a top 25 team, UF in the bowl game.

Don't understand the Strong hype.

This IS Texas. At some point., Strong has to produce results, at least on defense. IMHO, he'll be given one more year to get TX to the playoffs, then they'll go after Saban.

One more year to get Texas to the playoffs? If that's the case they should just save everyone the trouble and can him now. No way in **** Strong has them in the playoffs next year even if he is the goods as a coach. Half of that roster is a total dumpster fire.

In 2012 Texas had the number 2 recruiting class in the country according to 247sports.

Texas had 5 players drafted in the past two years. Only 2 of those players were picked on the first or second days.

Louisville had 14 players drafted in the past two years, including 4 first rounders and 4 second-day picks.

Strong is another overrated defensive coordinator that has to rely on a guy making 1/10 his salary to win (his offensive coordinator).

Louisville finished 2nd in scoring defense in 2013. The Gators finished 3rd in scoring defense in 2008. South Carolina finished 12th in 2001.

He left all of those defenses as top units. He will do the same at Texas if they let him.

All that talent, 1st round QB and couldn't beat UCONN, Cuse and UCF. 2 at home. Only 1 of those wins was a top 25 team, UF in the bowl game.

How can you promote stoops as a candidate but condemn strong?

if strong were to get fired this year he would be in my top 5/7 choices with Herman, Butch and some others.

I'm calling it now. Texas beats TCU.

I was going to make this prediction as well. TCU might even lose this week @ Texas Tech.

They have lost 7 projected starters from their defense this season. I don't see that defense holding on the whole season.

It's going to be every difficult for them to remain unbeaten or one loss, which they probably need to do to make it to the playoffs. It will take yeomen's work by Patterson and company to keep them undefeated by seasons end.

Advertisement
I'm calling it now. Texas beats TCU.

I was going to make this prediction as well. TCU might even lose this week @ Texas Tech.

They have lost 7 projected starters from their defense this season. I don't see that defense holding on the whole season.

It's going to be every difficult for them to remain unbeaten or one loss, which they probably need to do to make it to the playoffs. It will take yeomen's work by Patterson and company to keep them undefeated by seasons end.

Man I thought I was the only one. TCU hasn't been as impressive as they were last year. Strong's playing a young group of guys and they are improving each week. They still don't know how to win yet. However, they are talented. Young talented teams are a special group because they can get hot at any moment or they can get a taste of reality at any moment. I think they take the state back next week.

LMAO! @ these Strong haters saying, "But it's Texas!", or, "He only won because He had Teddy B!"....YEAH?!...LMAO!

Last time they won a NC before 05'?...1970!...that's 35 years between NCs!..."But it's Texas!" huh?...huh?!...LMAO!

And "He only won because He had Teddy B.!" huh?...YEAH?!...so I guess Good Ole' Mack didn't have Vince Young at QB huh?...huh?!...LMAO!

FOHWTBS!

Last edited:
LMAO! @ these Strong haters saying, "But it's Texas!", or, "He only won because He had Teddy B!"....YEAH?!...LMAO!

Last time they won a NC before 05'?...1970!...that's 35 years between NCs!..."But it's Texas!" huh?...huh?!...LMAO!

And "He only won because He had Teddy B.!" huh?...YEAH?!...so I guess Good Ole' Mack didn't have Vince Young at QB huh?...huh?!...LMAO!

FOHWTBS!

P-O-T-A-T-O

During Strong's 4 years, he played in the Big East for the 1st 3 and American Conference (Big East stepchild) in year 4.

Ranked Team Played in 4 year tenure
2010 - (#25) Oregon St. (L) 28-35
2011 - (#24) West Virginia (W) 38-35
2012 - (#4) Florida (W) 33-23

2013 Schedule
Ohio
Eastern Kentucky
@ Kentucky
FIU
@ Temple
Rutgers
Central Florida
@ USF
@ UCONN
Houston
Memphis
@ Cincinnati
Bowl - Miami

His SOS was never higher than 62nd of 120 and in his last year it was 107.

He is in yr 2 at Texas and year to date, his defense has given up 38 pts, 28 pts, and 45 pts to ND, Rice, and Cal.

Please explain what Strong did that was so great? Guy has been getting crushed at Texas.

Advertisement

FOHWTBS!

This is a good time to remind all posters to avoid Drugs and Alcohol.

Unless he wins, consider him dead man walking. He's already not liked by many of their BIG donors. Part of the problem is that he doesn't have a great personality, and when you're the head coach at UT they expect you to command a room.

I am not a Strong fan, BUT any chance they will swap us for Al even up? Kaaya is better QB than Teddy and Strong did okay with a good QB.

During Strong's 4 years, he played in the Big East for the 1st 3 and American Conference (Big East stepchild) in year 4.

Ranked Team Played in 4 year tenure
2010 - (#25) Oregon St. (L) 28-35
2011 - (#24) West Virginia (W) 38-35
2012 - (#4) Florida (W) 33-23

2013 Schedule
Ohio
Eastern Kentucky
@ Kentucky
FIU
@ Temple
Rutgers
Central Florida
@ USF
@ UCONN
Houston
Memphis
@ Cincinnati
Bowl - Miami

His SOS was never higher than 62nd of 120 and in his last year it was 107.

He is in yr 2 at Texas and year to date, his defense has given up 38 pts, 28 pts, and 45 pts to ND, Rice, and Cal.

Please explain what Strong did that was so great? Guy has been getting crushed at Texas.

Rice annihilated them and should have won, but they gave the game away. If he had lost to Rice he'd probably be gone already. Texas boosters are OK with losing a few games in year 2, but they need to see some progress and won't allow UT to be embarrassed during the rebuild.

Advertisement

if strong were to get fired this year he would be in my top 5/7 choices with Herman, Butch and some others.

Having the 50th ranked class at a school like Texas is a big enough indictment alone. I don't think you guys realize the impact of Charlie losing his #1 bagman Clint Hurt. There is a reason he was passed over for the UF job.

It's funny, people weren't using the strength of schedule argument when Bobby Petrino was building Louisville. Petrino lost 12 games in his first two years at Arkansas before turning it around in Year 3. Strong deserves the same kind of patience.

Strength of schedule has nothing to do with it. Strong built elite defenses in the SEC. His defenses at South Carolina changed college football and revitalized a horrible program. Texas will be no different if he gets time.

Advertisement

Gary Patterson couldn't beat teams like Cincinnati, East Carolina, SMU, BYU and Utah. It took him a decade to break through to the next level.

Does that mean he can't coach with the big boys? Of course not.

Strong built dominant defenses at his last three stops. He inherited a 4-win Louisville team and left it as a 12-win team. That's a track record. Like every coach with a track record, he deserves more than two years to build his program.

Can you explain what Nick Saban did at MSU that was so great? He was getting CUHHHHH-RUSHED!...CUHHHH-RUSHED! in the B10.
BTW...Strong is winning at the same rate Saban was early in His career, with more double digit win seasons to boot.

Young Strong > Young Saban

Last edited:

Gary Patterson couldn't beat teams like Cincinnati, East Carolina, SMU, BYU and Utah. It took him a decade to break through to the next level.

Does that mean he can't coach with the big boys? Of course not.

Strong built dominant defenses at his last three stops. He inherited a 4-win Louisville team and left it as a 12-win team. That's a track record. Like every coach with a track record, he deserves more than two years to build his program.

Charlie Strong is not on one of my top lists, but if you have to defend him, this is perhaps the best argument as Patterson wasn't an instant
hit at TCU. In fact, he was somewhat on the hot-seat for a couple of years after Franchione left.
Of course, naysayers will point out that stature wise, TCU fifteen years ago is not comparable to the UofTexas.

Having the 50th ranked class at a school like Texas is a big enough indictment alone. I don't think you guys realize the impact of Charlie losing his #1 bagman Clint Hurt. There is a reason he was passed over for the UF job.

what does that have to do with Mark stoops?

Advertisement
Back