Changes I’d like to see

He is a decent athlete and a good bat, he is my choice out there. I don't give up on kids as quick as you do my man, lol.
I'm not all about the wait and see approach. When kids have their chances and don't take advantage of them or make errors/boneheaded plays it's "on to the next guy for me". He isn't swinging a good enough bat right now for me to stick up for him. Outside of his grand slam he has been abysmal at the plate. I like Thomas more in RF at the moment.

Advertisement
I'm not all about the wait and see approach. When kids have their chances and don't take advantage of them or make errors/boneheaded plays it's "on to the next guy for me". He isn't swinging a good enough bat right now for me to stick up for him. Outside of his grand slam he has been abysmal at the plate. I like Thomas more in RF at the moment.
As far as at the plate Rivera >>>>>>>> Thomas, not sure what you are watching

Yeah, I think most would tbh, because of "tradition" and the conference thing you brought up.... but when you see what guys like Counsell are doing in MLB by saying ***** tradition it brings up interesting points. You think he throws the staff game again with AMac starting??

I'd be surprised if it wasn't Keysor. And if not him than Garland. If for no other reason than to preserve a little confidence for McFarland instead of sending him out there again for 2 innings.

Advertisement
Yeah agree @Gooner#44 I'd definitely much rather have Rivera in at OF. He's a much better hitter right now and he's the superior OF. With Thomas you can definitely see the flashes, but he probably needs a season of summer ball to become a decent option. I think he'll have a big jump next year but he's just not there yet. Plus we need already have 5-6 LH bats as is in the lineup. Rivera gives better balance

Lala
Vilar
Del
Toral
Gil
Gates
Rivera
Tuero
Jenkins

Seems IMO to be the best lineup. I'd like to see Lauck get a chance at 3B or DH though if both those guys continue to struggle, because 3B and DH have got to have better production

As a manger would you ever tinker with you Fri-Sat-Sun starters to win a midweek game? Just curious. Like this week for example. VT is not a good team, UCF is a good team and in our own state. Would you ever consider throwing a weekend starter Wed and then let say Keysor start Sunday?

I used to coach a legion team a few years back and we ran it pretty by the book, a group of starters and some mid-relief guys and then we had a setup and closer (7 inning games). If we were facing say the 2-3-4 in the 6th I would throw our closer and then throw the set up kid if the closer threw over 25 pitches. Sometimes baseball coaches become robots to habit IMO and they actually miss matchup advantages. Just a thought.

Absolutely not during the regular season. In the postseason? Without a doubt. We don’t play anybody good enough in the midweek to jeopardize a weekend guy in a conference series.

If we played UF midweek like FSU does, then yes I would do it in a second. That would be a signature, move the needle win that would be worth it.

Time to get Gil out of the 5, he can not protect Toral at all batting .170 and striking out 3 times a game. He may figure it out but he has had enough time in that hole.

Advertisement
Time to get Gates out of the 5, he can not protect Toral at all batting .170 and striking out 3 times a game. He may figure it out but he has had enough time in that hole.

Gil you mean but yes, his time has come. Move him down or replace him with Lauck.

Advertisement
On the broadcast they mentioned Gil was recovering from strep throat. Maybe that's why he's been struggling? Idk hopefully he figures it out

Advertisement
Neither team threw a weekend guy according to the box score.

Big game but no one is going to blow a weekend starter for a midweek game.
I saw Pogue started, he had started a Sunday game before. I still think we should throw a weekend guy tonight and let Keysor start Sunday. But baseball coaches are creatures of habit and stay with stale patterns. It is why a guy like Counsell had so much success in MLB, he did not follow the hardfast old school baseball "rules".

I was glad to see FSU win, the Gators being undefeated was getting old to hear. I thought Velez had been a FSU weekend starter but he had not, my mistake. None the less him and Messick 3 hit them in a shutout.

Advertisement
Back