Changes? Base 4-3 "1 gap" is coming back

I don't know what to believe anymore. After reading the "alumni" article that was posted on here from the Sun Sentinel, I wouldn't doubt it if he just threw that defense out there for the Spring game so the ol' school guys like Sapp, Bennie, TBain, etc wouldn't get in his a$$ about the 3-4 two gap.

You know a guy like Sapp will have no issue callin' him out on the sidelines in front of everyone. I swear I haven't seen the front 7 that aggressive in awhile.
Just like a battered wife. They don't know what to believe, despite the hard evidence being inches away from their face. One day, you'll get out of the cycle and realize how ridiculous your musings were.

You have Golden's entire career of running the same scheme. He has the claim of a Top 15 defense last year. He has gone on record in the last week, defending his scheme. But yeah, I see EXACTLY how you would be confused on the status of our scheme and believe that the spring game might actually be indicative of something.

Advertisement
I don't know what to believe anymore. After reading the "alumni" article that was posted on here from the Sun Sentinel, I wouldn't doubt it if he just threw that defense out there for the Spring game so the ol' school guys like Sapp, Bennie, TBain, etc wouldn't get in his a$$ about the 3-4 two gap.

You know a guy like Sapp will have no issue callin' him out on the sidelines in front of everyone. I swear I haven't seen the front 7 that aggressive in awhile.

Kamalu mentioned it way before the spring game. Dmoney alluded to it without actually saying it. Maybe he was sworn to secrecy. I don't know.
Golden lies, but would he spend all spring having that defensive line one-gap just for show? A spring where he closed practices to fans anyway. He has two-gapped on national TV, not sure why he would use the spring game just to fool people. He will hide for the next 3-4 months anyway.

There is no way they went through a whole spring to trick the fans and alumni. However, AG and Dnfr have both said they're defend is multiple so expecting a true 1 gap D is fools gold. So we may come out and 1 gap out of any front but I fully expect for them to fall back into what's comfortable when it doesn't work.

There is no way they went through a whole spring to trick the fans and alumni. However, AG and Dnfr have both said they're defend is multiple so expecting a true 1 gap D is fools gold. So we may come out and 1 gap out of any front but I fully expect for them to fall back into what's comfortable when it doesn't work.

A real test will be during the GT game. Thats the kind of offense that Golden will definitely "read and react" more.

I wish I can find the article where Golden or someone did mention about change to the base 4-3 D. And this was before the bowl game. If I find it I'll post the link.

Al Golden being asked about the defense on depth chart being listed as 4-3 (same as usual).

Golden: "How is it listed? Cause I don't... Yeah, I don't know. That's probably a story somewhere, but not here.''

sounds like it's news to him.

Advertisement

A real test will be during the GT game. Thats the kind of offense that Golden will definitely "read and react" more.

Which is the worst thing they could do. The triple option is all about speed, misdirection and timing. You mess up their timing and they'll fumble a lot. Exactly why you don't 2 gap against them

Rubber hits the road on game days - it's one thing to have a different look in the playbook, it's another thing to be strong enough to actually trust your players to run it on Saturdays.

Advertisement
Back