Change in recruiting strategy?

Advertisement
We werent in the top 50 when it comes to offers. All the best recruiting schools had offered between 60 and 90 kids. You can only take 25 give or take, I get that.. but as time goes by im more and more inclined to believe this route is the most successful in our day and age. Get 30 kids to commit and grey shirt or make cuts. It is what it is. These kids dont want an honorable true to his word coach as much as they want to go to a trendy winner with up to date facilities and a chance to make it to the league.

I say you offer everyone you think is Miami caliber wherever the **** they are and recruit 2 or 3 more than you actually have room for at each position and recruit them each hard and tell them hey it's a first come first come first serve basis as it relates to early national signing day sign for you spot..

See how that day goes and see where you missed and have the entire staff pounce to close on those misses during the portal/late signing day late push

Advertisement
It seems like over the last few days we have been offering kids all over the country and not just local. Could this be us taking a more national approach to recruiting under Diaz? I’ve wanted that for a while.

It's because every year local kids tell us to **** our own faces

No the recruiting stragedy won’t change. Casting a larger net in Dade and Broward.
However go out nationally for o linemen, dts and qbs

Advertisement
IMO one of the biggest issues with the previous staff was being so selective with offers. Send out offers to the top 300 kids nationally and then recruit from there. We miss on having a chance at so many guys b/c of late offers/interest. We are an attractive football program located in a very attraction location.
Exactly, you use Tinder rules. Swipe right on everyone and actually see if you want them later on if it's an actual match

No way man ... our best teams weren’t built on kids strictly from our backyard. Why Do we keep trying this failed approach from the past 3 regimes in locking down south Florida
Not strictly..but majority were from out backyard. We are not in The position to be cherry picking nationally. So we need to start in the state of Florida

WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT NOTHING.....

Massive landscape shift with Manny and Enos coming on board.... All the chips have changed.

UM SPENDING REAL $$$$ on coaches is another MAJOR landscape change at UM

At this point recruits and transfers are all in play and Manny is likely keeping it all confidential as he makes deals.

Who would have thought we could land ENOS?...... we were beggar-licking for Applewhite for god-sakes!

My gut tells me we will be pleasantly surprised by what we bring on campus by the time recruiting and transfers are all done for 2019

I'd like to see them expand the recruiting footprint specifically for certain positions. I think we can still rack up premium skill position players, DBs and LBs, strictly working the south Florida region. However, it seems like talented big guys are few and far between here. I mean there's plenty of 225lb pass rushing defensive ends but how many dominant, college ready defensive tackles do we see down here? Don't even get me started on O-linemen. Even the highly rated local guys we sign always seem to underachieve. If we can start pulling some big guys from Louisiana/Texas and the midwest, I'd be happy.

Advertisement
No. We need to recruit our area first then expand. That’s the formula

Yes a formula from the 1980's. You do understand this formula don't work if your just taking a bunch of 3 stars from FL (like we've been doing for the past 13 years) because right now until we start winning we ain't getting the top dogs from FL. They're front runners nothing you can do.

IMO one of the biggest issues with the previous staff was being so selective with offers. Send out offers to the top 300 kids nationally and then recruit from there. We miss on having a chance at so many guys b/c of late offers/interest. We are an attractive football program located in a very attraction location.

This. People on here were like "yea, yea our offers matter now!" as if we were on Clemson's level. Giving out less offers doesn't make your offers worth more, winning does.

All we end up doing was being late to the party on talented guys who would of actually signed with us because we offered so late.

Advertisement
I doubt it. Manny believes the key to recruiting success is winning battles in South Florida and he has spoken on this in the past. At Canefest he said he tells recruits something along the lines of 'if Miami lined up with all the best kids from South Florida and Alabama lined up with all the best kids in that state, who do you think would win?' He also said he wants to focus on Miami and supplement with other talent.

If these recent offers are indicative of an overall change in recruiting strategy, then it's very different from what he was saying back in August.

That doesn't mean our entire roster has to be 100% from Florida...

We werent in the top 50 when it comes to offers. All the best recruiting schools had offered between 60 and 90 kids. You can only take 25 give or take, I get that.. but as time goes by im more and more inclined to believe this route is the most successful in our day and age. Get 30 kids to commit and grey shirt or make cuts. It is what it is. These kids dont want an honorable true to his word coach as much as they want to go to a trendy winner with up to date facilities and a chance to make it to the league.

While I agree we should cast a bigger net at times...I don't believe the "top 50" in offers at all...Lotta BS offers being reported everywhere.

Advertisement
Back