Chad Thomas

I watch Chad on a few plays when they were rushing and he just couldnt get pass the blockers, he was in this akward stance and then he stood up and was trying to use hands but to no avail. unfortunately i think he has to get use to the college game more then people thought and fix his akward stance. if i had to compare AQM was way better by this time and his quickness is what helped him win.

He's not allowed to just get past the blockers. Our scheme requires him to engage the OL. Shooting a gap, swimming, ripping, etc is not allowed. We also don't allow twist/stunts up front. That would be deceiving.

Actually the sack that Kamalu had was on a twist stunt. That is one of the only thing the DL has done fairly well under this staff. Those twist stunts are pretty good. Its the lack of disguising a blitz that is just atrocious..

Advertisement
I'm a little surprised he hasn't played more lately. They don't have immense depth so one injury and he'd be playing a lot. You have to prepare for such things. Young guys generally get better as they play. I'm not a part of the "all freshmen are the greatest" brigade but I do think you've got to get some work in for your 2nd dt's/de's or they won't function when you need them which you generally do at some point. Throwing Chad in when you're desperate due to fatigue or injury helps nobody.

Not if he doesn't know how to get past college-level offensive tackles....plus wasn't he just dealing with back spasms?? I don't care how good you are, if ur back is messed up you cant do ANYTHING.

Advertisement
Actually the sack that Kamalu had was on a twist stunt. That is one of the only thing the DL has done fairly well under this staff. Those twist stunts are pretty good. Its the lack of disguising a blitz that is just atrocious..

I was being a little facetious when saying we don't allow it. I realize we do it. It's just usually few and far between & always predictable. AQM was the worst last year. I disagree completely on the doing it well part. (JMO though)

Advertisement
I think (guessing here) that he probably would shed blocks & make plays in the backfield too often instead of keeping the lineman engaged, allowing the LB to fill. There's always one player designated to make the tackle.

CT might just interupt the design of the play and make the tackle himself. Bad Chad. Get on that bench!

What if the play goes to the opposite side of the field from the designated tackler?

When that happens its usually because the other team showed us something we didn't see on film, weren't expecting and were totally unprepared for. The result of such a situation usually results in what is termed "a chunk play" which is really not of much importance because yards don't matter. Chunk plays and touchdowns are always the result of poor execution and bad tacking. The scheme is always perfect.

When the situation above does occur it is crucial that the players trust the process. It is at this point where they must remember the eight pillars, trust their training and reach into their toolbox and start shoveling coal so that they can get off the field on "Money Downs".

If that fails they then need to use the "life skills" they have learned to "fight their tails off" so they can get back on schedule while not thinking of the destination and enjoy the journey. Above all they have to trust in the fact that they deserve victory.

If none of the above works then the players need to take a deep breath and feel really good about the fact that the stage was not too big for them. They also need to realize what a hostile environment they were in and that even though we lost by 24 that at one point we were only down by three which means we are trending up.

The bottom line is the team and fans need to know it all starts with Al and they will go back to Coral Gables and get it corrected. We need to put it behind us and move on.

Last edited:
he plays behind chick who doesnt come out much.....

Probably resting him for rest of the year...him and Moten get in a bit....Moten is starting to come on and got in a little bit early.....

I expect chad if healthy to play alot in acc play...probably not so much this week though

Weighed in at 263-264 and is unwilling to play until he gets back under 260.

Advertisement
Chick hasn't been impressing me enough to be getting the "I don't get subbed out role". If someone was performing at the level he has been playing at another position (ie: running back), we would be screaming for the young backup to get some playing time.

What's with the hysteria. Two weeks ago he didn't travel to Nebraska because of back spasms. Can't blame anyone for that. Likely limited him in practice and impacted availability vs Duke.

Advertisement
Lorenzo Cater and Myles Garret are having big impacts as true freshmen in the SEC but we can't even get Thomas on the field. ******* tragic.

Advertisement
Back