Chad Thomas in pass coverage

Dropping a DL into coverage isn't a problem in and of itself, it doesn't mean you're now Dorito 2.0; however, sucking at it is, and does.

That said, it was BCU and a month later or whatever, Toledo. Let's revisit this discussion in two weeks.

I think we have an issue with some personnel, particularly in the secondary. I don't think we have a philosophical or ineptitude issue with the staff.

Manny knows what a Nickel is. He knows who his players are. He felt the risk was better in favor of playing base against Toledo.

Advertisement
Dropping a DL into coverage isn't a problem in and of itself, it doesn't mean you're now Dorito 2.0; however, sucking at it is, and does.

That said, it was BCU and a month later or whatever, Toledo. Let's revisit this discussion in two weeks.

I think we have an issue with some personnel, particularly in the secondary. I don't think we have a philosophical or ineptitude issue with the staff.

Manny knows what a Nickel is. He knows who his players are. He felt the risk was better in favor of playing base against Toledo.

I have less of a problem with him opting to play base over nickel so much than I do Chaz Perry being the guy in base so often. McCloud I can. It into. But i can't buy the idea that we don't have a better option at the 5th DB than Perry.

iaz is the Mark Whipple of DC's.

He's closing his eyes, grabbing a blitz or coverage out of a bag, and then throwing it against the wall to see what sticks.

He is "iaz" until he proves he knows what "D" is

I have less of a problem with him opting to play base over nickel so much than I do Chaz Perry being the guy in base so often. McCloud I can. It into. But i can't buy the idea that we don't have a better option at the 5th DB than Perry.

This. If Diaz feels base is his best match-up, OK but if you're going to use three linebackers, at least use your three best and only sub if one of those three is gassed. They were shuffling in reserves like those 19 year old linebackers had the stamina of 39 year old linebackers. And if they do need to sub, I'd way rather see a fifth defensive back on the field than Perry or Smith. Unless it's an obvious running situation.

I agree with you athletically/physically speaking. Now whether or not they trust that guy, I couldn't tell you. It appears not.

I can tell you what I don't buy, is that we were "holding back." When we went in trailing at the half, holding back went out the window.

So yeah, I not sure why Perry got the burn, but it was pretty deliberate.

Advertisement
It just really amazes me that we went from everyone loving Diaz to the same old fans now hate him. Mind you, these are mostly the same fans that downed the hire to begin with, so they are a fickle bunch. Better not see you all back on him once the D starts balling again. Emotional types. They'll either be calling for his job or promoting him to HC every week here on out.

This. If Diaz feels base is his best match-up, OK but if you're going to use three linebackers, at least use your three best and only sub if one of those three is gassed. They were shuffling in reserves like those 19 year old linebackers had the stamina of 39 year old linebackers. And if they do need to sub, I'd way rather see a fifth defensive back on the field than Perry or Smith. Unless it's an obvious running situation.

iaz has much more confidence in his backup LBs than I do. I just don't see their ability to play in space or cover any significant ground.

Just get the right personal in for what the situation dictates. That's all I ask. If our db's stink they stink. Just put them in the right position. My #1 thing is the wasted blitzes. I watch over a dozen times in the last 2 games Shaq just make a worthless blitz that had no chance of working. If your gonna blitz let it be deceptive.

Advertisement
Man IDC what any of you say, the amount Diaz has been doing it has been a problem.
I'm not gunna act like the zone blitz is stupid and there is no situation where the DE should be dropping back into a zone, but doing it this often is ******* ridiculous. Doing it this often when we have one of the best DLs (and DL coaches) in the nation is ******* ridiculous.

And I like Diaz, and I hope he doesn't continue doing this bs as often as he has been, but after 2 games he has, and to me thats cause for concern. Its up to Diaz to PROVE that in the real games he wont be doing that. Because as of right now, all these concerns we are having are completely valid. Honestly, the DE's dropping into zone isn't even close to being as big of a concern for me as Perry, Owens, and Smith getting as much PT as they were.

Like seriously if we want the best 11 on the field which is what the coaches always talk about, then basically anytime McCloud, Pinckney, or Shaq leave the field, it should be a DB or DL coming on the field. Either run nickel or my preference - switch to a 52 which can be similar to a 34 in concept except the DE's would have their hand in the ground the entire time. And we have the personnel to run it since Norton can play NT and our DT's are athletic enough to play 3 or 5tech and so is Thomas. If We ran a 5-2 we wouldn't have to do any retarded blitzes, which is part of Diaz's problem. Like that one anonymous coach said, Diaz tries to get too cute with his defense at times. We have a good enough DL where we should be able to just rely on our DL to get pressure for the most part

J Jackson.........Rj McIntosh.......K Norton.......C Thomas..........J Garvin/Harris
.............................Shaq..............................McCloud.................................

Last edited:
It just really amazes me that we went from everyone loving Diaz to the same old fans now hate him. Mind you, these are mostly the same fans that downed the hire to begin with, so they are a fickle bunch. Better not see you all back on him once the D starts balling again. Emotional types. They'll either be calling for his job or promoting him to HC every week here on out.

It shouldn't be that shocking. That's they way things work. When you're doing great, you'll get commended. When you're doing bad, you'll get people's wrath. It's not limited to message boards or even football. If you do a poor job at work, you'll get reprimanded or fired. Doesn't matter if you did a good job a year or two ago. Previous performance might buy you a little more time and a little more leeway with the boss but that doesn't mean he's going to accept poor performance now because you were good in the past.

We are extremely predictable on both sides of the ball. Our coordinators are a liability.

That's some Bill Young ****. Hopefully Manny deleted that call from the list.

Advertisement
Not surprised to see the "nothing to see here" responses and how everyone condescendingly points out that it's a zone blitz and that everyone does it. I don't think UM fans have a problem with zone blitz principles; I think our problem is with how horrible our zone blitz game looks.
Where are the condescending responses? The OP made a post and people have given their perspective on what may be going on. Haven't seen a personal attack. Someone called his comment dumb, but nothing about the OP. It'd actually be great if threads attacked the messages the way this one seems to have done.

Man IDC what any of you say, the amount Diaz has been doing it has been a problem.
I'm not gunna act like the zone blitz is stupid and there is no situation where the DE should be dropping back into a zone, but doing it this often is ******* ridiculous. Doing it this often when we have one of the best DLs (and DL coaches) in the nation is ******* ridiculous.
The amount, the timing and the personnel used to execute seem like fair criticisms. Only Diaz can answer why he's chosen to trot that stuff out over the first two games. The results speak for themselves.

I couldn't begin to answer why he's been as predictable and seemingly basic. But, dropping a DE is not this inexplicable thing nor draws an analogy to the previous coaching staff. ****, find any post or thread killing Diaz about the West Virginia bowl game results. Guess what we did there? Zone blitz.

Not surprised to see the "nothing to see here" responses and how everyone condescendingly points out that it's a zone blitz and that everyone does it. I don't think UM fans have a problem with zone blitz principles; I think our problem is with how horrible our zone blitz game looks.
Where are the condescending responses? The OP made a post and people have given their perspective on what may be going on. Haven't seen a personal attack. Someone called his comment dumb, but nothing about the OP. It'd actually be great if threads attacked the messages the way this one seems to have done.

They're all over the thread. I'm not going to bother to re-post them all. I never mentioned personal attacks.

Advertisement

They're all over the thread. I'm not going to bother to re-post them all. I never mentioned personal attacks.
I don't interpret any of them that way. But, I'm all in. Let's root out all condescending posts going forward.

I don't interpret any of them that way. But, I'm all in. Let's root out all condescending posts going forward.

Great.

Advertisement
Back