Chad Thomas in pass coverage

In an optimal zone blitz, it's used unpredictably and the dropping lineman is essentially in coverage for a split second into the correct spot. The problem is we're trotting out predictable zone blitzes we and every opponent has already seen. The reason for that I don't know. Someone would ask Manny and I'm sure there'd be a rational response. The zone blitzes are not getting to the QB, and therefore you see massive issues in the coverages behind it.

Is there any chance that he's been continuing to put it on tape so far to provide an opportunity for a different look in a bigger game? I don't know enough about game planning to really think through the implications of it.
Sure, there's that possibility and many other reasons he could be doing it. Perhaps his players aren't ready for more. Perhaps he felt more was not needed against our first two opponents. It could be anything.

I have a ton of screenshots of overreactions and people killing Diaz for these two games. The guy knows what a Nickel defense is and understands where the holes in his fire zone blitzes exist. He watches tape. He does not have a deep philosophy flaw like our previous staff. It's really not to say he is without flaws. But, find a D-Coordinator who is without any flaws now, please. I predict we'll have our issues against spread teams with accurate QBs, but the defensive results should improve over the course of the year and people will somehow believe Diaz remembered how to call plays, I guess.

BRAVO!!

Advertisement
It just really amazes me that we went from everyone loving Diaz to the same old fans now hate him. Mind you, these are mostly the same fans that downed the hire to begin with, so they are a fickle bunch. Better not see you all back on him once the D starts balling again. Emotional types. They'll either be calling for his job or promoting him to HC every week here on out.

Would love to see his defense balling, but in 10 years of being a DC. He has only had 2 top 20 defenses and a total of 4 in the top 50.

It just really amazes me that we went from everyone loving Diaz to the same old fans now hate him. Mind you, these are mostly the same fans that downed the hire to begin with, so they are a fickle bunch. Better not see you all back on him once the D starts balling again. Emotional types. They'll either be calling for his job or promoting him to HC every week here on out.

Would love to see his defense balling, but in 10 years of being a DC. He has only had 2 top 20 defenses and a total of 4 in the top 50.

I down voted because people have little faith. We are undefeated but some act like the sky is falling if we only show a sample of our play book before the serious games. Diaz has a Chip, Richt is a true winner who only had roadblocks vs Satan. Get a grip microwave fans and trust the process and stop acting Beta even if you are. We are undefeated and unless we go on a 2 game drop yeah maybe warm seats but R E L A X.

I think Lu hit on it earlier in this thread but the biggest issue we're currently having with this zone blitz is twofold:

1) Pressure is not being created from it. We'd be better off letting our talented D Line rush straight up.
2) We're not disguising it pre-snap. Some of the best zone blitzing systems I've seen over the years involve ALOT of guys close to the LOS pre snap and ALOT of guys standing up, walking around, and causing confusion on just WHO is coming and WHO is dropping into coverage.

#2 above really worries me but I'll remain optimistic and hope that Manny doesn't want to show anything on tape early in the season against bad opponents. The D played well last year so I'm willing to give this more time before I start comparing Manny to Onfrio...as others on this site are already starting to do.

Advertisement
Manny was just playing around and trying stuff the first two weeks so he can get some stuff on tape. I expect our defense to look real good tonight.

I down voted because people have little faith. We are undefeated but some act like the sky is falling if we only show a sample of our play book before the serious games. Diaz has a Chip, Richt is a true winner who only had roadblocks vs Satan. Get a grip microwave fans and trust the process and stop acting Beta even if you are. We are undefeated and unless we go on a 2 game drop yeah maybe warm seats but R E L A X.

Faith?

When someone has a 10 year track record, and the facts show nothing but meritocracy at best. It hard to believe he is saving the best for acc play.

Toledo shooting themselves in the foot is what gives us 2-0 record. No way you're going to sell me, Diaz was just messing around vs Toledo. Against Bethune I could buy that. Missing 2 weeks of the season and trying to pull that vs Toledo offense, no.

This sounds like last season when dudes were saying Right was saving the playbook for conference play.

We will see tonight, he better have his **** wired tight for all our sakes.

Faith?

When someone has a 10 year track record, and the facts show nothing but meritocracy at best. It hard to believe he is saving the best for acc play.

Toledo shooting themselves in the foot is what gives us 2-0 record. No way you're going to sell me, Diaz was just messing around vs Toledo. Against Bethune I could buy that. Missing 2 weeks of the season and trying to pull that vs Toledo offense, no.

This sounds like last season when dudes were saying Right was saving the playbook for conference play.

We will see tonight, he better have his **** wired tight for all our sakes.

So you think we were going to lose that game? I’ll be honest. I was concerned a few times. But this team proved to me that when they turn it on they are much better than what we are seeing. I think once we figure out how to play a full game we will be dominant. I do think we stayed fairly basic through these first couple games. One on purpose and one due simply to the hurricane. I think they tried to run some stuff from last yr because they figured they’d know it rather then try something new that maybe they haven’t practiced enough. I also think they are still building back into game shape and speed from the layoff. Toledo looked like a team that had much better timing and cohesion but our talent won out in the end. And at times was downright dominant in that game. I don’t care about anything in Diaz’s past but last year. We will see what he’s all about this year. I think this defense will be nasty once we get coverage tightened up.

Advertisement
As suspect as our defense has been so far this year, this has been a specific issue that has really stuck out for me. Seeing another defensive end dropping back into the secondary feels like a time warp back to the days of al golden and coach D. I understand that the reason it has occurred is because of the defensive personnel that we have on the field at the time and the formation that the offense lines up in, but to me its just a glaring example of being out coached. We are Miami, we are playing a team that has not recruited as well as us EVER, lets dictate to them and not the other way around. To happen once during a game is something, for it to happen over and over again like against Toledo is just embarrassing. Interested to see if we can keep Chad's hand on ground and away from dropping back and turning in circles 10+ yards in the defensive backfield attempting to cover a dig route this week...

Zone blitz =/= matching up Tyrone Cornileus with Michael Campanaro for the majority of a game.

If you've got the athletes at DE who can handle their responsibilities, love the zone blitz. Just ask Vinny T how PSU "confused" him in that mid-80s NC game.

As suspect as our defense has been so far this year, this has been a specific issue that has really stuck out for me. Seeing another defensive end dropping back into the secondary feels like a time warp back to the days of al golden and coach D. I understand that the reason it has occurred is because of the defensive personnel that we have on the field at the time and the formation that the offense lines up in, but to me its just a glaring example of being out coached. We are Miami, we are playing a team that has not recruited as well as us EVER, lets dictate to them and not the other way around. To happen once during a game is something, for it to happen over and over again like against Toledo is just embarrassing. Interested to see if we can keep Chad's hand on ground and away from dropping back and turning in circles 10+ yards in the defensive backfield attempting to cover a dig route this week...

Zone blitz =/= matching up Tyrone Cornileus with Michael Campanaro for the majority of a game.

Tyrone Cornelius matched up against the air is a mismatch

Advertisement
Back