CFP to expand to as many as 16 teams?

College football has never been about parity. Was there parity when Miami won 4 out of 9 championships?

In the 7 years of the playoff era, 5 different programs have won the national title. In the 7 years before that, 5 different programs won the title. In the 7 years before that, 6 different programs won the title (5 if you count USC in '03). In the 7 years before that, 5 different programs won the title.

This is college football. We all love it. Please don't let them ruin it.

While you are right that CFB has never been about parity, how many championships did MIA win before that supreme court decision in the early 80's? The answer is zero. That decision alone helped to usher in the greatest period of parity in the history of the sport, and without it there would be no University of MIA football program as we know it today. You think it's a coincidence that MIA won it's 1st championship during that era? But besides MIA other non blue blood programs also won championships during that era. Programs like BYU, Colorado, & Washington respectively. How many non blue blood programs have won the championship since MIA last won one? Again the answer to that question is also zero.

If MIA currently had 0 championships, would you still think that CFB was a great sport, and not in need of reforming? I think you and me both know the answer to that question as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
While you are right that CFB has never been about parity, how many championships did MIA win before that supreme court decision in the early 80's? The answer is zero. That decision alone helped to usher in the greatest period of parity in the history of the sport, and without it there would be no University of MIA football program as we know it today. You think it's a coincidence that MIA won it's 1st championship during that era? But besides MIA other non blue blood programs also won championships during that era. Programs like BYU, Colorado, & Washington respectively. How many non blue blood programs have won the championship since MIA last won one? Again the answer to that question is also zero.

If MIA currently had 0 championships, would you still think that CFB was a great sport, and not in need of reforming? I think you and me know the answer to that question as well.

To flesh out your point, I don’t know if the actual case has been posted or not, this was that decision. As you said, it had a huge impact. It was monumental.

If MIA currently had 0 championships, would you still think that CFB was a great sport, and not in need of reforming? I think you and me know the answer to that question as well.
The Supreme Court decision involved TV rights. It didn't change the substantive rules of game. That's the problem here. We would be changing a system that works in crowning the best team and maintaining the best regular season in sports.
I just plain disagree about everything you said in the last paragraph. The college regular season is mostly boring, has tons of blowouts and most games are irrelevant. It should be a buildup to a climactic playoff, not the main event.
This is the fundamental disagreement. I don't know anybody who fell in love with CFB because of its great playoff. They fell in love with the regular season and the bowl season.

This isn't about being a blind traditionalist. I supported the four-team playoff because it conserved what was great (the high-stakes regular season) while fixing what was bad (the subjective determination of a champion). It has done its job.

The Supreme Court decision involved TV rights. It didn't change the substantive rules of game. That's the problem here. We would be changing a system that works in crowning the best team and maintaining the best regular season in sports.

This is the fundamental disagreement. I don't know anybody who fell in love with CFB because of its great playoff. They fell in love with the regular season and the bowl season.

This isn't about being a blind traditionalist. I supported the four-team playoff because it conserved what was great (the high-stakes regular season) while fixing what was bad (the subjective determination of a champion). It has done its job.

Yes my fondest memories of CFB growing up were bowl games. Miami-OSU, Texas-USC, Boise State-OU, etc. There have been some great moments in regular season rivalry games but they're quickly forgotten. I bet a lot of casual CFB fans have never even heard of the kick 6 or the Michigan State punt block or whatever. Just because you grew up with Miami-FSU and Catholics vs Convicts doesn't mean everyone feels the same. You're probably looking at a limited biased sample. Miami hasn't had legendary memorable regular season games since the early 2000s and the shift to the ACC. It doesn't matter what the postseason system is. Right now it's SEC or bust and the regular season is a total chore just waiting for the inevitable same top 4-6 to make the CFP. It's the worst of both worlds.

Anyways I don't agree with the premise that a 16-team playoff cheapens the "high-stakes regular season". Top-10 matchups would remain significant for seeding and bragging rights while the 10-25 teams would have much bigger stakes. The top 25 polls would actually be worth something instead of just being a weekly reminder of how far Miami has fallen. I don't see how this does anything other than increase ratings, engagement and revenue.

Advertisement

A lot of this just misses the point.

First, the truly substantive "rule change" (for lack of a better description) was when colleges began to offer scholarships to black athletes.

Second, the timing of the Supreme Court case (1984), while not a "rule change" is instructive. Within a decade (early 1990s), we had the reshaping of conferences due to college football TV revenue. Shortly thereafter (1998) we got the BCS system for bypassing the bowl games to play a real national championship game. And since 2014, we have had the College Football Playoff.

Anyone who can't see the rapid evolution, and how it is being driven by football TV revenue, is just ignoring the obvious.

Third, this is not about "why you fell in love with college football". Who gives a **** whether you like blondes or brunettes? Absolutely nobody "fell in love" with college football because of bowl season. Bowl season was a nice pat-on-the-back for about 40% of the teams who had decent, but not great, seasons. Sure, New Year's Day used to mean something more, but it has become so bastardized and balkanized that it has virtually no meaning any longer. We now talk about bowls being "New Year's Eve or later" or some such ridiculous description.

Finally, there is a lot of nonsense about the "true meaning" of the college football "regular season". It is EVERYONE'S goal to go undefeated, but to argue that everything else must be subjugated to that goal is just ridiculous. The last 3 national champions have been undefeated. Before that, the prior FOUR national champs had 1 loss. Here are the UNDEFEATED national champs for the last 45 years:

1976 Pitt (Independent, a real outlier here)
1979 Alabama (Bear's last hurrah)
1980 UGa (an SEC outlier, as Gaytors will tell you)
1981 Clemson (an outlier until Dabo came to town)
1984 BYU (truly an outlier)
1986 Pedo State (undeserved, but UM would have been undefeated instead)
1987 UM
1988 Notre Dame (undeserved, but UM would have been undefeated instead)
1991 UM/Washington
1992 Alabama (undeserved, but UM would have been undefeated instead)
1994 Nebraska
1995 Nebraska
1997 Michigan/Nebraska
1998 Tennessee (SEC outlier)
1999 F$U
2000 Oklahomo
2001 UM GOAT
2002 Ohio Taint (undeserved, but UM would have been undefeated instead)
2004 USC - VACATED
2005 Texas
2009 Alabama
2010 Auburn (an SEC outlier)
2013 F$U
2018 Clemson
2019 LSU
2020 Alabama

So in 20 of the last 45 seasons (nearly 1/3 of all college football history), the champion had 1 or 2 losses and/or ties.

The whole myth of "the college football regular season is just so magical because you can't make a single mistake" is, in fact, false, as more than half of the time in the modern/let-black-athletes-play/let-colleges-own-their-own-TV-rights era, the national champion has made one or more "mistakes" during the regular season.

But but but, some will argue, it's the high-stakes pressure to avoid losing that is so magical. Annnnnd? Whether you take 8 or 16 teams to the playoffs, every regular season game will still have everything on the line. Winning the conference and/or getting the highest seed humanly possible will still be incredibly valuable. No coach will sit players out of Top 25 matchups, no player will opt out of a single game, and no craptastic/contractually-obligated bowl games will need to be played by teams that just don't care anymore after having lost 1 or 2 games and/or being snubbed by the selection committee.

People love college football because the teams mean something. Many people are alums, or grew up close-to/rooting-for Ol' State U. Unlike in the NFL, there is no draft that rewards tanking or unlimited free agency for the highest dollar amount (insert cynical joke here). It is the pomp and circumstance of games played on Saturday, from noon to midnight, the marching bands, the cheerleaders, the tailgates, and the traditions.

If anyone claims to have fallen in love with college football over the pursuit of (a) a single undefeated team and/or (b) two weeks of crappy bowl games leading up to 3 or 4 meaningful bowl games, then they need to have their heads examined.

Nobody cares about the bowl games any more. Very few people travel to them. Do your research, most of the bowl game tickets are sold to locals well in advance, and OCCASIONALLY a game will be valued so highly by one or two fanbases that the secondary ticket market will perk up.

****, even the players and coaches don't much care anymore. Players opt out and coaches take new jobs without bothering to play the games.

And, as always, C.R.E.A.M. Pretty soon, ABC/ESPN (and/or Fox) will back up the Brinks truck for live content during the slow periods of December-January, and none of our "but I fell in love with college football for the bowl games" nonsense is going to have any impact.

Dolla dolla bill, y'all.

Get used to it. The bowls are dying and the playoffs will grow, no matter who wants to whine that Alabama will "destroy" the #16 team in the land.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back