CFP Semi-Final Washington v Texas

Advertisement
am curious what the statistics nerds would say would have been the most optimal win% outcome on that last UW drive.

-3 kneels and a punt and Texas gets ball at 20yard or less and 25-30 seconds
-4 runs and either first down and game over or Texas gets the ball around 35-40 yard line with 20 seconds

punt is risky operation with potential for block/bad snap/punt return but so is running 4 times when the other team trying to rip the ball out.

If we are comparing it to Mario you would have had to get the first down THEN keep running the ball

First down ices the game and that’s what he had faith in his guys to do

But it wasn’t pre-iced like it was for Mario
The key was not throwing the ball away. You have a veteran QB, but it's obvious the coaching staff didn't emphasize keep the clock running or the pass would have not been thrown.

Penix could have taken a 10 yard sack and they would have still been in good shape for an easy FG.

It really was a critical mistake. If that final pass isn't broken up, all the coaching mistakes would come to light.

The hole thing is about managing risk against time. When you're ahead, the clock is your friend. You want to burn the clock with the least amount of risk.

Texas keeping their timeout from the incomplete pass and official timeout for a Washington injury saved 60 - 80 seconds for Texas. Handing the ball off doesn't take any more time off the clock than the QB dancing in the pocket and talking a knee. The QB keeping the ball reduces risk of a turnover and injury.

The drama could have been avoided with better decision making. It was exciting to watch though.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Elite QB
Elite WRs
Elite DE
Elite LT
If Washington loses everything I believe is wrong. Those are the 4 most important positions in football.

Yeah, & it’s not close. UofM have grown men on that DL & OL. Everyone is either Seniors, Graduates, or RS Sr.
key will be if Michigan pass rush can get to penix (bonus if they cause turnovers) and stop drives. will be shocked and amazed if washington is able to possess the ball against michigan - in time and # of possessions - like they did tonight

Advertisement
Michigan will win. They are the tougher, more physical team.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Yeah, & it’s not close. UofM have grown men on that DL & OL. Everyone is either Seniors, Graduates, or RS Sr.
I forgot what year it was when Golden had seniors and I was like bruh if they trash seniors who cares lol. I remember being mad as **** at people tossing the experience word around during those times. And I hate announcers that do that during jag school games, they do that sh all the time. But yea this is different they got grown men on those lines

SO happy they didnt choke that would have been awful for the players mand the injured RB. With that said I got Michigan rolling UW by 2 TD's.
I’ll take that. **** don’t need 14 will happily take side bet with you UW +10 since you sound so confident.

Line is likely to open Michigan -3

The key was not throwing the ball away. You have a veteran QB, but it's obvious the coaching staff didn't emphasize keep the clock running or the pass would have not been thrown.

Penix could have taken a 10 yard sack and they would have still been in goid shape for an easy FG.

It really was a critical mistake. If that final pass isn't broken up, all the coaching mistakes would come to light.

The hole thing is about managing risk against time. When you're ahead, the clock is your friend. You want to burn the clock with the least amount of risk.

Texas keeping their timeout from thr incomplete pass and official timeout for a Washington injury saved 60 - 80 seconds for Texas. Handing the ball off doesn't take any more time off the clock than the QB dancing in the pocket and talking a knee. The QB keeping the ball reduces risk of a turnover and injury.

The drama could have been avoided with better decision making. It was exciting to watch though.
I have no clue why you quoted me and wrote this all out but I’m proud of you and want the best for you in 2024

Advertisement
I have no clue why you quoted me and wrote this all out but I’m proud of you and want the best for you in 2024
I read your post and it triggered my thoughts.

It was not a negative to your post. I was just providing detailed context to the situation. I could/should have posted separately.

I forgot what year it was when Golden had seniors and I was like bruh if they trash seniors who cares lol. I remember being mad as **** at people tossing the experience word around during those times. And I hate announcers that do that during jag school games, they do that sh all the time. But yea this is different they got grown men on those lines

Yeah, if u’re an experienced JAG, then wgaf?! Lol. Experience gets thrown around way, too, loosely. It needs to come w/ something tangible, ya dig? Like Tom Brady is an experienced QB, that means something vs. Chase Daniels being an experienced QB. Lol

However, this UofM team is not only experienced, but very good. So it’s going to be a really good, intriguing match up.

Advertisement
Penix was the obvious heisman winner.

Snubbed for SEC players that put up 11 TDS against Grambling and Georgia State.

Penix out here beating Oregon twice, and Texas once. Rogers next year will show people how good Penix was.

Probably not the best example to prove the point you’re trying to make. Penix was very much a developmental QB to begin and has a history with DeBoer and Grubb that pre-dates his time at UW. He’s played in this same offense for 4 years.

Point is you can build rosters through the portal and HS recruiting and it doesn’t need to be only HS…smart of DeBoer and Grubb with Penix.

Advertisement
Back