CFL Bans Full Contact Practices During Season

Advertisement
Treudeau will soon sign a bill that will enforce equality of outcomes in the CFL.

CTE will end football as we know it. Forgone conclusion

Or the science will actually catch up to all the conclusions people/media have already drawn and discredit many of it. I worry more about lawsuits now hurting the game on the lower levels- especially if high school and Pop Warner leagues can't get insurance.

Meaning you don't believe in the current science on football and CTE?

Excellent question. It's that type of "viewpoint" that galvanized ignorant lawmakers in Texas...Florida (and elsewhere) to allow ANYONE to challenge science or history they don't like. No peer reviews. No common sense. Just stick your head in the sand to facts. And because Texas buys more schoolbooks than all the other states, publishers cave and alter history, science, etc.

A) Do you believe there is currently enough research to justify the conclusions that both you and AllAboutTheU have seemingly made about CTE?

B) Total weak sauce and lame to lump me (and MANY respected neurosurgeons) in with the Texas school board and Dept of Ed clowns.

You guys that jump to conclusions are just as bad as those that'll always be deniers. But sure, that Will Smith movie was very convincing.

I dont think the science is complete. However , probabilities state that if science has been suppressed and there has been organized and well funded efforts to suppress it for decades than it is essentially a guarantee theres a public health risk.

Tobacco
Sugar
Phen Phen
Opiods
etc.

Or the science will actually catch up to all the conclusions people/media have already drawn and discredit many of it. I worry more about lawsuits now hurting the game on the lower levels- especially if high school and Pop Warner leagues can't get insurance.

Meaning you don't believe in the current science on football and CTE?

Excellent question. It's that type of "viewpoint" that galvanized ignorant lawmakers in Texas...Florida (and elsewhere) to allow ANYONE to challenge science or history they don't like. No peer reviews. No common sense. Just stick your head in the sand to facts. And because Texas buys more schoolbooks than all the other states, publishers cave and alter history, science, etc.

A) Do you believe there is currently enough research to justify the conclusions that both you and AllAboutTheU have seemingly made about CTE?

B) Total weak sauce and lame to lump me (and MANY respected neurosurgeons) in with the Texas school board and Dept of Ed clowns.

You guys that jump to conclusions are just as bad as those that'll always be deniers. But sure, that Will Smith movie was very convincing.

I dont think the science is complete. However , probabilities state that if science has been suppressed and there has been organized and well funded efforts to suppress it for decades than it is essentially a guarantee theres a public health risk.

Tobacco
Sugar
Phen Phen
Opiods
etc.

That's largely a fair point and I'll cede you this- the NFL has handled this in a beyond poor manner. I personally believe they did it though not because they're afraid of what they already know about CTE/or are trying to cover up or even what they think will be proven but based on an EXTREME fear of lawsuits now and an unwillingness to take care of every former player medically and sometimes financially for life.

I still go back to the actual research/medical community and there are a ton of elite people that still say we don't have anywhere near the research complete to justify the conclusions that a lot of people and especially the media have already deemed "proven science". But when I (or anyone) say that people will immediately conflate that with being a blanket "denier" of ALL science and jump to false political associations about climate change and other unrelated issues.

Advertisement
All this said, CTE talk is one notch below political and gameday sock color option talk on this board. I apologize and will now go run some steps.

World is definitely getting soft. NFL is limited to 14 padded practices during the season

Or smarter.

When he was with the 49ers, Bill Walsh's teams never hit in practice during game week. They only hit during training camp. Bill Romanowski said that by Sunday he was ready to kill someone because he hadn't hit anybody all week. They were only some of the best teams in NFL history (and some of the best tackling ones too).

People who reflexively think not tackling in practice is soft are just knucklehead neanderthals who are so insecure in their own manhood that they feel the need to prove their toughness by acting like a caveman.

Advertisement
Watching pti and they were talking about how this could eventually trickle down to the nfl all the way through high school. If so my coaching days are over....

The the game just benefited immensely.

Need to weed out these corches who think busting skulls is a sufficient qualification for the profession.

That repetitive blows to the head over a long period of time can lead to severe brain injury and trauma latter in life?

Yeah.

Groundbreaking stuff.

I'm sure we need to wait for tons more research on this.

That repetitive blows to the head over a long period of time can lead to severe brain injury and trauma latter in life?

Yeah.

Groundbreaking stuff.

I'm sure we need to wait for tons more research on this.

I'm glad you must've been sounding the alarms on this 10 or 15 years ago then. I'm glad everyone else finally caught up with your early deductions. Why do you hate science and more in-depth research?

Advertisement
No intelligent person argues repeated concussions will not lead to brain degeneration.

However, like many medical issues the diagnosis, cause, and potential treatment for CTE is multi-factored. Medical research on the subject learns more every day.

Sports athletes and military personnel push their physical limits and are encouraged to ignore warning signs. Use of performance enhancing drugs, drug use, and alcoholism may contribute. There is evidence of genetic predisposition to brain disease, same as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Psychological trauma may contribute to depression and PTSD symptoms.

That said, I do not think concern over concussions is 'soft', or a weakness.

As long as they hit in games, what's the problem?

In martial arts (boxing, muay thai, etc), you don't get lit up every practice session. You save it for the ring.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back