CFB is seriously going down the drain..

citizenkane

Redshirt Freshman
this sport is becoming unwatchable. My ESPN app just gave me an "updated" bowl projection.
Get ready for this shocker...ESPN predicts Clemson will play Alabama for the title with the Taint and the Bulldogs being the other 2 playoff road kill.

Are you kidding me?
If this is how it's going to be then just have them play and get it over with right now. We already know they are the best 2 teams so why pretend.

In an "amateur" sport such as CFB the 2 highest paid coaches are always the one's facing each other for a title once again.
This is a joke
what happened to parity?
Their needs to be some serious changes otherwise it will always be the same 2-3 teams at the top.

for starters, how about a coaching salary cap. for an amateur game they sure have large staffs with blank checks to fill them out
and I'm in favor of paying every division 1 player a "salary" which is the same regardless of what team the play for. this eliminates the bags and incentives to play for one team vs another.

I doubt any of this will happen so get ready for 10 more years of Tigers vs Tide in the NC game with an occasional buckeye or dog in there.
And when Satan retires the Tide will back up fort knox at Dabo's house and the cycle will just continue

Advertisement
this sport is becoming unwatchable. My ESPN app just gave me an "updated" bowl projection.
Get ready for this shocker...ESPN predicts Clemson will play Alabama for the title with the Taint and the Bulldogs being the other 2 playoff road kill.

Are you kidding me?
If this is how it's going to be then just have them play and get it over with right now. We already know they are the best 2 teams so why pretend.

In an "amateur" sport such as CFB the 2 highest paid coaches are always the one's facing each other for a title once again.
This is a joke
what happened to parity?
Their needs to be some serious changes otherwise it will always be the same 2-3 teams at the top.

for starters, how about a coaching salary cap. for an amateur game they sure have large staffs with blank checks to fill them out
and I'm in favor of paying every division 1 player a "salary" which is the same regardless of what team the play for. this eliminates the bags and incentives to play for one team vs another.

I doubt any of this will happen so get ready for 10 more years of Tigers vs Tide in the NC game with an occasional buckeye or dog in there.
And when Satan retires the Tide will back up fort knox at Dabo's house and the cycle will just continue
Lol

Advertisement

Are you kidding me?

This is a joke
what happened to parity?

I agree with you man. The championship super teams in this sport are built with $$$, and it's obvious to see why private schools are at a huge disadvantage. It's not like this in professional sports, where there is much more parity, because of the salary cap. The advantage one team has over another is created by the organization and geographic location/market.

yes but the name of the game now is MONEY
Money buys you the best coaches, best facilities, best players.
only a handful of programs can compete at that level and we will never be one of those

Nah I still had an enjoyable day watching cfb bar our abomination of a game..I get you’re down cuz we’re not top dogs anymore but we got ran into the ground and it is what it is..**** still beats watching garbage *** NBA and nfl bores me for the most part, so it’s cfb and premier league for me

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've been watching college football a long time. I don't remember there ever being "parity."

We just used to be on the right side of the talent gap. I remember when #1 Miami would go play a team ranked #7 or so, and I wouldn't have any doubt in my mind about the outcome. There was never parity.

yes but the name of the game now is MONEY
Money buys you the best coaches, best facilities, best players.
only a handful of programs can compete at that level and we will never be one of those
This is ridiculous. If it were just money, why is texas perennially a disappointment?

there are plenty of big programs in big conferences with alumni that will spend. But programs have to be BUILT.

The right coach, right staff, right culture, right S&C, right kids. Consistently. Over years.

Well Dabo now makes 9 million a year.
i'm certain that's more than our entire football staff makes combined and then some
it's hard to compete against that.
and then throw in what they pay their DC plus their facilities
good luck getting 5 stars from here consistently

Advertisement
College football will always be a big pull. You’re forgetting how huge sports betting has become. I even miss having Hawaii start at midnight so I can take the over

Was CFB unwatchable when we dominated the 80’s - 90’s & early 2000’s? It’s like Laker fans complaining about GSW. Lol. Now they won today in a f’ing bubble & the world is right. Hated LBJ & now he’s the GOAT. Lol. Stop being pussies. It’s time to get our weight up.

Advertisement
Don't hate Clemson, Georgia, or Alabama because those schools have made football a priority and funded them with enough money too be juggernauts. I wish we had the stones to do it here. Yes we have the money. But our income is going to pay for new buildings, and overpaid staff salaries. I admire those schools!

In the 1980s, CFB was great because almost all of the perennial powers had a real shot at winning the MNC. Here's a list of MNCs from the 1980s:

1989Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1988Notre DameAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1987Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1986Penn St.AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1985OklahomaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1984Brigham YoungAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1983Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1982Penn St.AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1981ClemsonAP, FWAA, NFF, UPI
1980GeorgiaAP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Yes, we dominated the decade overall but all of these programs had legitimate shots at winning the MNC in the 80s (and were consistently great throughout most of the decade):
  • Miami
  • FSU
  • Notre Dame
  • Penn St.
  • Oklahoma
  • Nebraska
  • Texas
  • USC
  • Michigan
  • Georgia
  • Auburn
The last 5+ years, it's basically been Alabama and Clemson (until LSU had that magical season). It has gotten stale (when it comes to who plays for the MNC). Alabama will likely experience a drop-off after Saban retires (unless Dabo goes there).

I'd like to see more teams (including Miami) perennially having a real shot at the MNC. It makes it more interesting. CFB is always at its best when Miami is great.

Are you kidding me?

This is a joke
what happened to parity?

Shouldnt salary be based on merit? Shouldn’t the best coaches get the highest salaries? Usually the best coaches are evaluated by and have the best teams each year. If the teams suck, the coaches will get fired, well, unless their AD is named Blake James.

College football has never had real parity but it’s starting to look a lot like the old days of the 50’s and 60’s where only two or three teams ever had legit chances to win anything. The sport’s popularity exploded in the 80’s with cable TV and all of the sudden there was a whole new group of contenders to compete with Notre Dame, Alabama Oklahoma and Texas. Let’s just put aside Miami, Florida State and Florida who became national powers in the 80’s and 90’s. Schools like BYU, Georgia Tech, Washington and Colorado won national championships. That **** isn’t happening today. The NCAA made this bed by picking and choosing who they were going to enforce rules against and now they have to lie in it.

Advertisement
Back