CB Stanley Garner enters the Portal

I don't think he would make a good safety either...Never has been physical. That was one of my issues with his high school tape, kid is allergic to tackle football. I also don't think he has any ball skills at all.
Exactly, he shies away from contact. Safety is out of the books.

Advertisement
No I didn't & yes I hope so.

But in all honesty he should consider switching to Safety, because he's got bad hips, footwork & overall technique at Corner to keep up in Man coverage vs the type of WR's we face in ACC play & in this Defense you have to be a good at Press man in order to be an effective CB.

If he switched to S could he be as good as what Redwine was?

If he switched to S could he be as good as what Redwine was?
Probably not.

Redwine had very good athleticism & natural speed, plus pretty good ball skill, he just didn't have the fluidity you look for in a Corner.

Ivey is too stiff & plays flat footed in Press man that's why almost every play you see him trailing behind his man because he's too square in his stance & gets beat on the first step.

Switching to Safety might help him focus more by having more clearly defined assignments & knowing exactly what/where he's supposed to be, at CB you can see he doesn't trust his eyes at all, he's just out there standing around getting worked by WR's because he doesn't know what he's doing.

Advertisement
Probably not.

Redwine had very good athleticism & natural speed, plus pretty good ball skill, he just didn't have the fluidity you look for in a Corner.

Ivey is too stiff & plays flat footed in Press man that's why almost every play you see him trailing behind his man because he's too square in his stance & gets beat on the first step.

Switching to Safety might help him focus more by having more clearly defined assignments & knowing exactly what/where he's supposed to be, at CB you can see he doesn't trust his eyes at all, he's just out there standing around getting worked by WR's because he doesn't know what he's doing.

LLC, would you agree that's weird in Redwine is you can see SOME athleticism's, but didn't he look slow early in his career? I remember that Clemson running back in the 58-0 blowout (name escapes me, 3rd stringer though), pulling away from Redwine like he was standing still! But then he peeled off that 4.45 or whatever it was at the combine i was like hot ****. He also had a target on him his entire junior year...I was at the ACC ship in Charlotte and Clemson flat out made him look bad. Kudos to him though because he kept working and had a very good senior year for UM.

I didn't think Ivey was a bad take, but I didn't see the hype like many did on this forum (not tooting my own horn, we are all right and wrong sometimes), but I just think he was the clear #5 DB in that class...I was way higher on Blades than him. Not a bad take because we needed a bunch and he's local. But my concerns look legit. Looks slow and stiff, and doesn't tackle or have ball skills. Basically he is a #4-#5 corner at UM who can provide you some size and length.

Last edited:
No I didn't & yes I hope so.

But in all honesty he should consider switching to Safety, because he's got bad hips, footwork & overall technique at Corner to keep up in Man coverage vs the type of WR's we face in ACC play & in this Defense you have to be a good at Press man in order to be an effective CB.
His biggest problem seems to be mental. That lapse on the fake punt was about as bad as I remember by anyone.

(wishful thinking) Hoping Redwine can talk to Ivey about switching to Safety and how it helped his career tremendously. No one would have ever imagined Redwine would have been the first Cane drafted in his class when he was playing CB.

Redwine played safety in high school. Redwine ran sub 4.5.

I dont think Ivey is much of a tackler...he may have safety ability but i think cb is his best spot. He's a zone cb though

Advertisement
Redwine played safety in high school. Redwine ran sub 4.5.

I dont think Ivey is much of a tackler...he may have safety ability but i think cb is his best spot. He's a zone cb though
Fair assessment. That make sense.

Local kid from Broward (Lauderhill/FTL) originally played at Coco Creek before he transferred to Dillard, played BBall & FBall in HS.

Class of 2018 DB that committed to Kentucky, is currently a Redshirt Freshman.

Listed at 6'1 186lbs, is a tall long armed frame kid with some natural athleticism, had good ball skills in HS, don't really remember what his speed was like.

He's a kid I think we should consider looking at if for nothing more than Depth purposes, we need all the help we can get at CB & he can't be any worse than Ivey.

Don't think he would be eligible to play next year for 2020, but I would still take him if he wants to transfer here.

he was pretty average in high school & it’s not a surprise didn’t work out.

he’s an average player at best. Not physical and doesn’t work hard.

It seems like South Florida kids transfer more than kids around the nation. I don't know if that is true or all but it feels like that.

Advertisement
they do..they do it in high school. It’s the flake society of south Florida

They do it since pop warner...so by college is just the norm.

South florida kids probably also have the most community involvement in their prospects than anywhere. Literally the whol community is behind these kids from an early age and when they are redshirting or not seeing the same pt...the COMMUNITY is hitting them up and saying "whats up, why you not playing, you are better than blah blah blah, that coach is tripping".

It seems like South Florida kids transfer more than kids around the nation. I don't know if that is true or all but it feels like that.
No it’s not true. You just may not follow recruits from any other places. That being said, some kids down here are being offered FBS offers even though they aren’t FBS players. Some kids down here are getting offers because of the high schools they attend, their size, camps or even athleticism. They get offers for everything except performing on a high level down here. They aren’t bad players but they just maybe better suited at a g5 instead of a p5, FCS instead of a FBS, D2 instead of FCS. Unfortunately reality sets in once they get to college. Competition is on another level.

Advertisement

South florida kids probably also have the most community involvement in their prospects than anywhere. Literally the whol community is behind these kids from an early age and when they are redshirting or not seeing the same pt...the COMMUNITY is hitting them up and saying "whats up, why you not playing, you are better than blah blah blah, that coach is tripping".

True true... And sometimes the kids aren’t as good as they think they are. You Coach down here. I’m sure you had a kid that you felt was D1 but he ended up going FCS or D2. Meanwhile, the local powerhouses has their 5th best wideout signing to a p5 school just because of the high school they attend.

He dirt slow but with crazy ball skills I like him a safety
Local kid from Broward (Lauderhill/FTL) originally played at Coco Creek before he transferred to Dillard, played BBall & FBall in HS.

Class of 2018 DB that committed to Kentucky, is currently a Redshirt Freshman.

Listed at 6'1 186lbs, is a tall long armed frame kid with some natural athleticism, had good ball skills in HS, don't really remember what his speed was like.

He's a kid I think we should consider looking at if for nothing more than Depth purposes, we need all the help we can get at CB & he can't be any worse than Ivey.

Don't think he would be eligible to play next year for 2020, but I would still take him if he wants to transfer here.

True true... And sometimes the kids aren’t as good as they think they are. You Coach down here. I’m sure you had a kid that you felt was D1 but he ended up going FCS or D2. Meanwhile, the local powerhouses has their 5th best wideout signing to a p5 school just because of the high school they attend.

Yup happens down here alot. Had kids last year with solid offers from good div 2 schools..that shunned them and went to Jucos (??)....Have a kid now that has some interest from like the best div 2 school...and his brother is like wtf is that i never heard of them, blah , blah...meanwhile that school would beat most fcs schools.

Down here its frowned upon if your not..."div 1"...well not every one is div 1 level and these kids dont realize till its like the week before feburary. See it EVERY YEAR. Also the last sentence you have happens ALOT..with schools that just want footing at a particuylar power house program. STA has back ups go div 1 every year. **** Al Blades Jr was a back up there.

Advertisement
Back