CB Michael Jackson leaning towards entering the draft

How fast is Mike? Didn't he run in the 4.3s during our testing? If he's a sub 4.4 guy he'll shoot up some boards. But its still a huge gamble.

I’d be surprised...shocked, really - if Michael Jackson was a combine sub-4.60.

He's one of the fastest guys on the team. In the 4.45-4.49 range at the worst
4.45-4.49? At the combine? Semi-automatic? I don’t think so, but if he is, he is. No stake in being right/wrong.

Supposedly ran a sub 4.4 hand times in the spring. I added a tenth of a second

Advertisement
How fast is Mike? Didn't he run in the 4.3s during our testing? If he's a sub 4.4 guy he'll shoot up some boards. But its still a huge gamble.

4.45-4.49? At the combine? Semi-automatic? I don’t think so, but if he is, he is. No stake in being right/wrong.

I’ll take you at your word, but...and this is something that I want to ask you...does Jeff Thomas, Michael Jackson or Ahmmon Richards LOOK like 4.3’s to you? Clock doesn’t lie is the saying and they obviously have speed, but they just don’t look that fast.

I’ll take you at your word, but...and this is something that I want to ask you...does Jeff Thomas, Michael Jackson or Ahmmon Richards LOOK like 4.3’s to you? Clock doesn’t lie is the saying and they obviously have speed, but they just don’t look that fast.

Jeff Thomas yes, Ahmmon when he was healthy yes, and Jackson is close. He blanketed receivers downfield this year because they couldn’t run by him

Advertisement
For the guys ****ting on Norton and McIntosh about the Clemson game...I dunno....Clemson could not run the ball at all and those 2 were responsible for it. They might not have caused havoc in the pass rush but Clemson could not MOVE them.

The AFC Executive is from the Phins and no one alive should take stock into what he says..

Norton and McIntosh will be in their 4th year next fall. Norton just isn't overly productive. 23 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 QBH, no breakups. McIntosh on the other hand. 49 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 7 breakups, 6 QBH. Very solid year.

Now go look at Kareem Brown's stats in 2005 and then compare his senior season in 2006. Same size, same explosion and he went in the 4th round of the 2007 draft. Not sure he was anything other than a UFA in 2005. He was a 5th year guy in 2006. My point is RJ should stay for his senior year. He moves to the Outland watch list, first team All-ACC and gets a tremendous amount of exposure. His family isn't hurting just the opposite. Get your degree and become an All-American.

For the record, RJ had 1 TFL and Norton had 1 tackle. They certainly didn't stand out against Clemson.

Jeff Thomas yes, Ahmmon when he was healthy yes, and Jackson is close. He blanketed receivers downfield this year because they couldn’t run by him
Some people play faster than they are (Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith) and many don’t. Playing fast is better than being fast.

Yes, there were times that Jackson definitely showed some speed and other times...he just didn’t play fast. Same with Jeff. ****, Jeff won the opening 40 race, but he couldn’t turn the corner on a reverse or kick off?

That said, based on measurables (6’1”, 206 lbs, ~4.45…), Michael Jackson should leave. (I may have reversed myself and I don’t care) I ONLY say it because the NFL drafts on measurables and sometimes measurables only.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Jones_(American_football)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obi_Melifonwu

For the guys ****ting on Norton and McIntosh about the Clemson game...I dunno....Clemson could not run the ball at all and those 2 were responsible for it. They might not have caused havoc in the pass rush but Clemson could not MOVE them.

The AFC Executive is from the Phins and no one alive should take stock into what he says..

Norton and McIntosh will be in their 4th year next fall. Norton just isn't overly productive. 23 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 QBH, no breakups. McIntosh on the other hand. 49 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 7 breakups, 6 QBH. Very solid year.

Now go look at Kareem Brown's stats in 2005 and then compare his senior season in 2006. Same size, same explosion and he went in the 4th round of the 2007 draft. Not sure he was anything other than a UFA in 2005. He was a 5th year guy in 2006. My point is RJ should stay for his senior year. He moves to the Outland watch list, first team All-ACC and gets a tremendous amount of exposure. His family isn't hurting just the opposite. Get your degree and become an All-American.

For the record, RJ had 1 TFL and Norton had 1 tackle. They certainly didn't stand out against Clemson.

Like I wrote earlier: They might not have caused havoc in the pass rush (as evidenced by their stats) but Clemson could not MOVE them and they shut the run game down.

All that other stuff about Kareem Brown means nothing.

Hmmm, M Jackson ....,are you in fact him?

Advertisement
He needs to have a conversation with Brad Kaaya. These guys could add some more muscle before declaring for the draft.

That said, based on measurables (6’1”, 206 lbs, ~4.45…), Michael Jackson should leave. (I may have reversed myself and I don’t care) I ONLY say it because the NFL drafts on measurables and sometimes measurables only.

Not sure what his arm length is. That's the vital measurable among cornerbacks. Seattle under Carroll and Schneider have not drafted a cornerback with sub-32 inch arms. That's partially how they found guys like Richard Sherman down the draft, by focusing on tenacity, ball instincts and length. Other teams noted the trend and have followed suit, so now those guys with 32+ inch arms are being pushed higher.

Like I wrote earlier: They might not have caused havoc in the pass rush (as evidenced by their stats) but Clemson could not MOVE them and they shut the run game down.

All that other stuff about Kareem Brown means nothing.

They ran well enough when they had to in the first half. Rushing stats were skewed because they ran CJ Fuller a ton in the 4th quarter when they called off the dogs. Bryant was contained on the edge other than his touchdown and Johnson was sacked.

My point is their stock improves if they stay.

LoL, Brown is the last really productive defensive tackle Miami has had. Same measurables, same type of player and flourish his 5th year under Palermo.

Advertisement
• Senior receiver Braxton Berrios: Pauline: “Potentially a pro prospect. Came into the year as a low level free agent. Not really big. Really needs to run well in workouts to show he can play in the slot. He has quickness the first 10 yards and catches the ball well. If he runs well [in workouts], he will get consideration as a late round pick.”

The AFC executive said Berrios is a “late-round pick. Good hands. Underrated speed. Can return punts. I see similarities to Danny Amendola.”

• Senior defensive end Chad Thomas: Pauline: “I like him but he’s very streaky. Makes a lot of plays and then disappears for a while. Hasn’t wowed me at any point. Came into the season with a fourth-round grade, maybe late third. I think that’s where he is. Has incredible size speed numbers. Has a lot of upside.”

The executive calls him a third- or fourth-round pick. “Strong, physical guy” and improved against the run.

• Senior tight end Chris Herndon: Pauline: “Had a sixth round grade coming into the season.” He believes he could have gone a bit higher than that before last month’s MCL injury. But that injury is damaging.

AFC scout: “I thought he would be my sleeper. But with the ACL, he is not going to be ready [for an offseason program]. Sixth, seventh round pick. Would have said fifth or higher before the injury. A better athlete than he gets credit for.”

• On senior offensive linemen Kc McDermott and Trevor Darling: Pauline: “McDermott wasn’t even graded by scouts coming into the year. I had him as a sixth round selection and he played relatively well. Decent size at 6-4, 295. I could see him sneaking into the late rounds. Darling is a marginal free agent.”

The executive said he rates both as undrafted free agents.

• Cornerback Dee Delaney: Pauline sees him as a potentially mid-to-late round pick who can play in nickel or dime packages. The executive said he has been unimpressed by Delaney and wouldn’t draft him.

• Senior defensive end Trent Harris, who has eight sacks:

Pauline: “He came into this season graded as a priority free agent. You can’t dismiss the production, but was it him or everyone else [playing well that helped him] be able to exploit [teams]? He’s 6-1. He is going to have to play standing up” if he makes the NFL instead of playing defensive end.

The executive: “I like him. I would take him in the late rounds. He’s a surprise to me. Can rush the quarterback.”

• Pauline said of running back Mark Walton, who’s turning pro after his October season-ending ankle injury: “A lot is dictated on the Combine medicals. It would be a reach for him to get into third round.”

The AFC executive deems Walton a fourth-round pick. “He would be higher if he hadn’t had the injury. I like that he can return kicks.”

• The AFC executive said neither Jaquan Johnson nor cornerback Michael Jackson should turn pro and that he’s not sure either is an NFL player: “Johnson makes plays but he’s small. Jackson wouldn’t be drafted.”

UM people aren’t expecting Johnson to turn pro. Caneinsight’s Peter Ariz reported Jackson is leaning toward turning pro.

• That AFC executive said the two areas where UM particularly needs to improve to be on Clemson’s level are quarterback and offensive line.

He said the line simply isn’t physically talented enough and UM must hope either Malik Rosier improves substantially or N’Kosi Perry wins the job next spring. “Rosier is just a guy; he needs to work on a lot of things,” the executive said.

I BLOVIATED back during the humid moments of August, that Miami's offensive line was AVERAGE at best, and the QB situation would be ' Yin and Yang. ' hUh. Well, coaching and an EASY Coastal division was one reason why Miami finally reached the ACC championship game. U, also, can add a degree of good ol' fashion LUCK! dUh.

Not sure what his arm length is. That's the vital measurable among cornerbacks. Seattle under Carroll and Schneider have not drafted a cornerback with sub-32 inch arms. That's partially how they found guys like Richard Sherman down the draft, by focusing on tenacity, ball instincts and length. Other teams noted the trend and have followed suit, so now those guys with 32+ inch arms are being pushed higher.
His arms were one of the first things I noticed about him. Long arms. Don’t know him but I’m guessing 32”+

And, if you get only 1 GM to think they have the next Richard Sherman - who only had a year at db. iirc - there’s no way he drops out of the 2nd round because they know they won’t get him in the 3rd.

I initially thought he should stay, but I’m leaning towards him leaving with more evidence - even if only anecdotal.

All I wanna say is that he don't really care about us

Underrated post.

TDCAU-thumb-22.jpg

Advertisement

His arms were one of the first things I noticed about him. Long arms. Don’t know him but I’m guessing 32”+

And, if you get only 1 GM to think they have the next Richard Sherman - who only had a year at db. iirc - there’s no way he drops out of the 2nd round because they know they won’t get him in the 3rd.

I initially thought he should stay, but I’m leaning towards him leaving with more evidence - even if only anecdotal.

Yeah, the reason I mentioned it is because Jackson appears to have very long arms. We talked about it in the stands when he made those effortless downfield plays on the football. I told the guy who sits next to me that he reminds me of a Seahawk cornerback.

But that category is seldom measured or mentioned. The guys on the specialized draft forums go nuts when it's finally going to happen, the arm length measurements at the all star games and the combine. Likewise the hand size measurements, especially for quarterbacks.

With arm length the positions most in spotlight are offensive line and defensive back. You don't want offensive tackles with short arms. The key number there is 34.

If.you don't know every detail on why these kids are deciding to enter the draft then you really don't know if their decision is dumb... I would hope these kids have someone to help them with making the right choice.. As selfish fans (Me included) we want them all to stay... but there are so many variables at play... Are ne one of us going to help MJ pay his bills if he has a career ending injury his senior season... I doubt it ... A 1st round pick and a 7th round pick will have the same salary under the NFL CBA... the difference is the signing bonus... which runs out around the 35th pick... so being 40 or 140 is no difference. to call these kids dumb for their decisions is dumb. I'm not saying going or staying is the right choice unless U can plug in all the variables and thoughtfully weigh the risk versus the reward.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

College tape is only part of the evaluation. You also have Pro Day, NFL Combine, private workouts for different teams, etc..

But a combine for guys who are "thinking about coming out" is long overdue, the NBA does it.

Too many kids make bad decisions off of these suspect "draft grades".

If.you don't know every detail on why these kids are deciding to enter the draft then you really don't know if their decision is dumb... I would hope these kids have someone to help them with making the right choice.. As selfish fans (Me included) we want them all to stay... but there are so many variables at play... Are ne one of us going to help MJ pay his bills if he has a career ending injury his senior season... I doubt it ... A 1st round pick and a 7th round pick will have the same salary under the NFL CBA... the difference is the signing bonus... which runs out around the 35th pick... so being 40 or 140 is no difference. to call these kids dumb for their decisions is dumb. I'm not saying going or staying is the right choice unless U can plug in all the variables and thoughtfully weigh the risk versus the reward.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

And guaranteed money. I'd really like to see these kids get their degree with something to fall back on if things don't work out. I hope all our kids are getting good guidance and mentoring. Some unfortunately don't or get bad advise. For 90% of these kids who make the league, they will be out of football within 3 years.

A kid I'm mentoring just finished his senior season. Just got visited by the Raiders yesterday. Rams a couple of weeks prior. Not sure he'll get drafted but he'll definitely camp. Told him he'd make a terrific coach and that he should pursue his dream, but he needs to also set up for GA positions. Need your degree to do that. BTW, this kid doesn't have a pot to **** in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back