Catholics vs. Convicts 30 for 30

The series is going to state the rivalry started in '85 - when Miami ran up the score in Gerry Faust's final game.

Which is bullshyte. The schools hated each other for years before that.

Notre Dame used to run up the score unmercifully against Miami in the late 70s - which created some major animosity between the programs. And when Miami started getting good in the early 80s, the teams had some hard hitting games where they disliked each other immensely. The teams were hitting each other hard and talking smack in the '80, '81, and '82 games. Notre Dame complained about some cheap shots and the trash talking in the '83 game to the media, and both teams were getting at it in the '84 game where Miami beat the Irish in South Bend. George Mira said the '84 game was the hardest hitting game he ever played in. The teams despised each other.

So those teams didn't like each other for over a decade before the Catholics v. Convicts. But the series is going to frame it that big bad Miami ignited the hatred between the two schools with the '85 thrashing.

Advertisement
I was at that game. ND and Miami had a confrontation after the warm-up on the field when Miami went to return to the locker room (only one entrance/exit at the time) for both teams. Our guys had to stop as the ND band was blocking the entrance and they turned around back toward the field as the ND players were approaching the entrance. I guess ND thought Miami stopped to have a confrontation. I was in the stands in the end zone where the entrance was and saw a ND player shove one of our players.....then, all **** broke loose. Almost forgot to mention, we went to ND via a luxury bus from Chicago and upon arrival a group of ND young males rocked our bus. Their tailgating was rather formal. Some had bartenders in a tux with a portable wooden bar. They had their dogs dressed in ND sweaters.

Also, I kept getting distracted by Lou Holtz who, during the game would squat, pick and chew on grass. The Catholics vs. Convicts shirts were not sanctioned by ND but printed up by 2 student entrepreneurs. They made a lot of money that day. I still have my shirt and wear it occasionally and always get many comments on it from various college football fans. I attended with the Miami Alumni Club and we had a luncheon with the ND alums. They were very nice hosts, but while walking around campus later we found their students for the most part to be real A-holes.

Advertisement
The series is going to state the rivalry started in '85 - when Miami ran up the score in Gerry Faust's final game.

Which is bullshyte. The schools hated each other for years before that.

Notre Dame used to run up the score unmercifully against Miami in the late 70s - which created some major animosity between the programs. And when Miami started getting good in the early 80s, the teams had some hard hitting games where they disliked each other immensely. The teams were hitting each other hard and talking smack in the '80, '81, and '82 games. Notre Dame complained about some cheap shots and the trash talking in the '83 game to the media, and both teams were getting at it in the '84 game where Miami beat the Irish in South Bend. George Mira said the '84 game was the hardest hitting game he ever played in. The teams despised each other.

So those teams didn't like each other for over a decade before the Catholics v. Convicts. But the series is going to frame it that big bad Miami ignited the hatred between the two schools with the '85 thrashing.

I remember Ara Parseghian really whinned about us running up the score and didn't Brent Mushbooger do the same? Mushie also thought we should do away with football. I still cannot stand him. They forgot about the myriad times ND ran the score up on lesser quality teams for YEARS. They were the good guys in the white hats and we were the evil guys in black. The whole college football world turned against the 'Canes but that seem to add fuel to our already lit fire and we took on the mantra of us against the world but only made us betterThey got back a bit of their own medicine and were offended. Boy did they hate JJ. The whole thing delighted us and I hope we can do it again to them this year.

Catholics vs. Convicts: The Notre Dame-Miami rivalry ? National Football Post

Last edited:
I've never watched that game again. Miami beat them. They should have won the NC that year too. That was the last year for split crews. I guess this will at least expose how bad a call that was.

Advertisement
I wasn't even born when the Notre Dame rivalry started & I ******' hate Touchdown Jezuz

Advertisement
I was at that game. ND and Miami had a confrontation after the warm-up on the field when Miami went to return to the locker room (only one entrance/exit at the time) for both teams. Our guys had to stop as the ND band was blocking the entrance and they turned around back toward the field as the ND players were approaching the entrance. I guess ND thought Miami stopped to have a confrontation. I was in the stands in the end zone where the entrance was and saw a ND player shove one of our players.....then, all **** broke loose. Almost forgot to mention, we went to ND via a luxury bus from Chicago and upon arrival a group of ND young males rocked our bus. Their tailgating was rather formal. Some had bartenders in a tux with a portable wooden bar. They had their dogs dressed in ND sweaters.

Also, I kept getting distracted by Lou Holtz who, during the game would squat, pick and chew on grass. The Catholics vs. Convicts shirts were not sanctioned by ND but printed up by 2 student entrepreneurs. They made a lot of money that day. I still have my shirt and wear it occasionally and always get many comments on it from various college football fans. I attended with the Miami Alumni Club and we had a luncheon with the ND alums. They were very nice hosts, but while walking around campus later we found their students for the most part to be real A-holes.

I found this to be the case with most schools, except for uF and West Virginia...where they were all ash holes.

As I wasn't born yet..I'm excited anytime I can learn more about the 80's.

Even though it's displaying a notre Dame win, any 1980's press is good press imo

Born in '73 & tho living in North Dakota at the time, became a 'Canes fan in early 80's. I remember watching that game - LOTS of calls went ND's way.

Check out some of the game stats (from my '89 Media Guide, hard copy):
First Downs......Miami 26.....ND 16
Total Yards.......Miami 481....ND 331
Turnovers........Miami 7....ND 3

Even being at -4 in turnovers, and on the road against the #5 team in the country, we still were in a position to win the game on the 2 point conversion attempt at the end of the game.

Advertisement
As I wasn't born yet..I'm excited anytime I can learn more about the 80's.

Even though it's displaying a notre Dame win, any 1980's press is good press imo

Born in '73 & tho living in North Dakota at the time, became a 'Canes fan in early 80's. I remember watching that game - LOTS of calls went ND's way.

Then U had Haden and Mushburger up in the booth with their skewed views.

They should do a 30 for 30 on all the national championships that Notre Dame has won since 1988. Oh wait, there aren't any. Most overrated school in history. Below are the years they have won natties

1924, 1929, 1930, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973, 1977, 1988.

Congrats. 7 of your 11 championships came before 1950 and all before 1990. Going on 25+ years of irrelevance....but yeah, you're too good too affiliate with a conference.

Advertisement
Back