Catching up with Tyrek Cole

View as article

Cameron Underwood

Sophomore
In the past few years, the Miramar Patriots have had their fair share of success on the field, with 2 trips to the State Championship Game, and the 2009 6A State Title. Along the way have molded plenty of players into top recruits with Geno Smith, Stedman Bailey, Malcolm Lewis, and Tracy Howard being the cream of that crop. The latest player who looks to join that elite group is highly touted 2015 CB Tyrek Cole.

For those who follow recruiting heavily, Cole's name is one they've known for a while, and now, his play is making others take notice of his skills. "It's really cool that I've gotten so many offers already", Cole told me in a recent interview. "It's great that people are seeing my skills, and want me to join their team."

Cole's offer list, while short in length, is impressive in stature. "So far, I have offers from Miami, Florida, Florida State, and South Carolina" said Cole. He added "LSU and Alabama have contacted me too, but they haven't offered yet." Cole went on to say "I know you're going to ask, but right now I don't have a leader. I'm going to focus on being the best player I can, and worry about choosing a college later in my Senior year."

Many people, myself included, thought Twitter was the main way that schools and scouting services got in contact with recruits. Cole went into teacher-mode to set me straight. "Actually, it's mainly Facebook. Coaches or recruiting guys will hit you up, send a message to the inbox, and then you just go from there."

It was in his Facebook inbox that Cole recently received some very, very good news. "One of the 24/7 guys JC (Shurburtt) hit me on Facebook to let me know that he was inviting me to the U.S. Army All-American game" Cole said. "It's pretty cool. They want me to go and do the combine this year, then play in the game my Senior year."

That wasn't the last invite that Cole received last week, however. "Another guy, Derek Tyson (of ESPN recruiting) sent me a message saying they were going to invite me to the Under Armour All-American game, too," Cole told me. "He was really cool about it. He said they really liked my game, and they were really excited about seeing what I could do. They also asked me to not commit to the U.S. Army game, since they were the ones who offered first. They just want a fair shot at getting me to play in their game."

Cole was very open and honest about the honor he's been given at such a young age. "This recognition, the All-American game invites, is humbling. It makes me want to work harder to make sure I am one of the top players in the country" said Cole. "I know I'm only a Sophomore, but there are young guys here at Miramar and maybe other places, and they're going to look up to me now. This just pushes me to excel even more on the field."

While the talk of All-American games was fun, I decided to get the conversation back on track, and onto the football field. I asked Cole what a person who has never seen him play will see this year and next year at Miramar. His answer: "People are gonna see my swag off rip (translation: right away). When I step on the field, I just have a swag to me, and you can see that a mile away. They're also going to see a serious player. As soon as I step in front of that receiver, it's all business. It's gonna be a show, and you already know what's about to happen: the receiver is gonna be stranded all alone on Cole Island. Solitary confinement. Lock down. And there's nothing he can do about it."

All players can improve some part of their game. Cole's focus on his is clear. "I want to improve my hitting power," Cole told me. "I know how to tackle. That's not a problem. I just need more strength in it. Obviously, I want to be good all around, but that's the main thing I'm focusing on in my game right now."

As for his collegiate destination, Cole's offer list shows his area of choice. "Yeah, I definitely want to stay in the South," said Cole. "It's close to home, and all the schools who have offered me have good programs. I think we have the best football in the South, so why not stay in this area of the country and compete?"

When asked what a school can offer that could end up earning them Cole's pledge, his answer was two-fold: "I'm looking fro early playing time, and great academics. Obviously, I want to play and help my team win as many games as possible, and having a good education to fall back on is something that definitely matters to me."

All things considered, it's a pretty rare instance where a Sophomore has 2 recruiting battles going on simultaneously. With colleges lining up to offer the soon-to-be 5-star player scholarships, and the 2 big national All-American games also fighting over his pledge, Tyrek Cole is in that unique circumstance.

There will be winners and losers in both recruiting battles. It'll be fun to see who they are...

In 2 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cam had to show these youngsters what was up. LMAO@the "off rip" translation.

Advertisement
This is an interview with a kid who if he redshirts, won't debut in college for 3.5 years.

Not a criticism of Underwood or the article... he's a big name and I was happy to hear about him... just... its getting crazy. We're going to hear about two college athletes getting married and a coach offering their future embryo one day. "I'd like to offer your DNA a 'ship.'

Advertisement
Cam,
How does Cole compare to Howard? Not necessarily who is better, but in terms of differences and similarities in their games.

This is an interview with a kid who if he redshirts, won't debut in college for 3.5 years.

Not a criticism of Underwood or the article... he's a big name and I was happy to hear about him... just... its getting crazy. We're going to hear about two college athletes getting married and a coach offering their future embryo one day. "I'd like to offer your DNA a 'ship.'

A) He won't redshirt. B) Recruiting is, by construction, about the future. I'm sorry the narrative of recruiting is displeasing to you. Personally, I like it. It's why I buy the NCAA football game every year.

But hey, to each their own.

Advertisement

That's the fun part, at least for me.

If I could pull it off, there would be an Optimist Football board on here. Stay tuned.

A) He won't redshirt. B) Recruiting is, by construction, about the future. I'm sorry the narrative of recruiting is displeasing to you. Personally, I like it. It's why I buy the NCAA football game every year.

But hey, to each their own.

I know he probably won't redshirt. I was just spinning said narrative to suit my argument:)

I personally don't like it. My heart can't take all the ups and downs of the next class, let alone 2 or three classes away. Its this first first first mentality (which is necessary) which has a lot of kids securing their future without even having contributed to their teams yet. Its all too speculative. Aren't there a couple of 8th graders with offers right now? Nuts. C

Advertisement
Cam, good work you're a really good writer only one problem. Off the rip = straight up

Hey Cam, that interview gave me......*puts on sunglasses*......underwood

Advertisement
Back