Catching up with Jermaine Grace

View as article

Cameron Underwood

Sophomore
The Miramar Patriots are marching deeper into the playoffs following a first round win over Alex Collins, John Franklin and the South Plantation Paladins. The 3-0 game was a defensive slugfest, and the contributions of Jermaine Grace (8 tackles, 3 for loss) were a large part of a complete defensive effort that saw South Plantation muster only 83 total yards on offense and 7 first downs.

After a tumultuous 6-4 regular season, Grace was pleased with the playoff win, but still feels that this team could mature more. "Personally, I thought the season was kind of disappointing," Grace told me. "We didn't put forth the effort we needed to in every game, and that was a big reason we lost so many games. We have a lot to work on, even after that win (over South Plantation). But, we're already in the lab, putting in work, getting ready for Friday Night."

Grace was even critical of himself, saying that he "didn't give a captain's effort" on every snap. He has ratcheted up his play in recent games, and looks to lead a young team by example. "I think I'm doing well with my leadership now, but I still need to step up more. I'm the guy that Coach Cogdell looks to whenever something needs to be said, or a play needs to be made. I like that he leans on me so much, and I'm doing my best to be a leader by example so this team will know what hard work and dedication are all about."

Grace's leadership will be put to the test in the biggest game of the year: a rematch with hated rival Cypress Bay in the Regional Semi-finals. "This is the biggest game of the year, of my life," said Grace. "They've been talking trash, texting our coaches, and saying they're gonna beat us again. The first game was a close game (Cypress Bay won 17-13) and this one will be the same. It's going to be a physical game, and the team who is more disciplined and focused will win. And I'm going to do everything I can to make sure Miramar is that team."

After calming down from the discussion about Friday's playoff game, the conversation turned to recruiting. When I asked Grace about how the coaching change at Tennessee might affect his decision, his response surprised me. "There are rumors about which coach will get that job already. People have been texting me and calling me to talk about different coaches who might take that job. At this point, I'm still planning on taking an official visit there. The coaching change hasn't affect my connection to that school at all. If anything, I'm more intrigued. The new coach might bring in a new attitude, a new focus, a new level of excellence. I'm really interested to see what happens next."

Grace didn't stop there. He said that Tennessee would be in his 5 finalists, along with Florida. "I like their defense, linebackers coach, and returning linebacker corp. Their defense IS their team. Without that D, there is no UF. That's always a plus for me. Also, their roster is favorable. They have a few guys who will be seniors next year, who I can learn from for a year before stepping up to be the guy leading the team on the field."

Along with the Gators, Grace told me that Miami would be one of his finalists. "They are doing a great job for being such a young team. I've never seen a team this young compete this hard, and still be successful. I would love to play with all those South Florida guys. Duke. Deon. Tracy. Malcolm. Herb. Jelani. All those guys are guys I've known for a long time. Playing with them and being a part of the rebuilding of the U would be great."

While Grace's 5th finalist is still undecided, the name of his 4th finalist was one that I didn't see coming. "Texas A&M" were the words out of his mouth. "I've been in contact with them a lot, talking to coaches and getting letters. I mean, I talk with them as much as UF, UM and Tennessee, but they're definitely up there as one of my finalists. They have a great defense, and everybody saw that when they beat Alabama. Playing with Johnny Football would be a great challenge in practice. They have great coaches on defense and the head coach is great. I'm interested to take a visit there and see how everything looks in person."

As far as what has stuck out to him while choosing his finalists, Grace's list is pretty simple. It comes down to the coaching (both at his position and overall on the team), the depth chart and opportunity to play early, and how comfortable he is with the school ambiance overall.

In the future, Jermaine Grace will have a hard time picking which school he wants to attend and with which team he wants to hone is considerable athletic abilities.

In the present, he's focused on getting revenge.

Cypress Bay, you've been warned.

Advertisement
Great stuff Cameron, thanks.

Any underclassmen for Miramar we should have on our radar right now?

Advertisement
Good interview. Grace seems like an articulate and focused kid. Hope to see him in Orange and Green.

Not Cameron, but 2015 CB Tyrek Cole is a stud

Pete is 100% right. Also worth watching, 2015 RB Alex Anderson (6'1" 210lbs). Only a little PT now, but a STUD.
Also, 2015 WR Khalil Lewis. 6'0" 180lbs. He's going to open a lot of eyes in the near future.
ALSO, 2015 OL Leeward Brown. 6'3" 310. Already starting as a sophomore, he could potentially be the best recruit of the bunch.

We're stacked in the 2014 class also, but I am not sure if any of those players are a fit for Miami. Let me reconsider that and get back to you.

Advertisement

Pete is 100% right. Also worth watching, 2015 RB Alex Anderson (6'1" 210lbs). Only a little PT now, but a STUD.
Also, 2015 WR Khalil Lewis. 6'0" 180lbs. He's going to open a lot of eyes in the near future.
ALSO, 2015 OL Leeward Brown. 6'3" 310. Already starting as a sophomore, he could potentially be the best recruit of the bunch.

We're stacked in the 2014 class also, but I am not sure if any of those players are a fit for Miami. Let me reconsider that and get back to you.

Thanks for the feedback.

6'3-310 soph eh? Good grief.

Cameron what's your thoughts on Jeff Hill?

Cameron what's your thoughts on Jeff Hill?

Hill is a great cover player. He has gotten better as the season has progressed, and appears to be much more comfortable on the field. He, like Cole, has the potential to be a top level college recruit.

The one knock on Hill would have to be his height. He's only 5'9" now, and I'm not sure how much more he will grow. Regardless, he's a player to watch in the class of 2015.

Cameron,
Has Grace gotten any feedback from the coaches on his weight? You mentioned that his offer was conditional at one point.

Advertisement
Cameron,
Has Grace gotten any feedback from the coaches on his weight? You mentioned that his offer was conditional at one point.

He hasn't said much about his weight since this summer/early fall. I think his on-field production has taken center stage, but his weight will be an ongoing storyline through the early part of Grace's collegiate career.

Advertisement
Back