#can'twait

As a father of a son who will be playing a collegiate sport next year, well done! Forget football for a moment...by all accounts you've done an outstanding job raising your son. Getting to see him play the sport you both love is an added benefit. No matter how Shaq's careers unfolds, I hope you continue to post your unabated thoughts on his performance and the Program. It's refreshing and educational. Thanks!

Advertisement
[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] I thought I read a while back shaq was going to getjon beason's old number now that deon bush has graduated.

How did Shaq end up with 55?

Also thanks for sharing the original post.

Go Canes
Grace wasn't given up 5 and I think they are trending to having LBs with the NFL Traditional LB numbers. ..Pinkney is 56 McCloud is 53

Jon Beacon wore No. 2 at Miami. But I could see the LB Jersey number trend you mentioned. Thanks for sharing.

Go Canes

[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] I thought I read a while back shaq was going to getjon beason's old number now that deon bush has graduated.

How did Shaq end up with 55?

Also thanks for sharing the original post.

Go Canes
Grace wasn't given up 5 and I think they are trending to having LBs with the NFL Traditional LB numbers. ..Pinkney is 56 McCloud is 53

Jon Beacon wore No. 2 at Miami. But I could see the LB Jersey number trend you mentioned. Thanks for sharing.

Go Canes

Love the single digit lbs especially if they r monstera.

how are mccloud and pinkney doing? whens owens returning? thnx

Was just going to ask the same thing
Mike and Zach are doing great...as a matter of fact Pinkney is running with the ones at Will..He and JY are in a battle...But i honestly feel that there has not been a determined Depth Chart... I think the only spot thats locked is Grace at SAM...for everbody else compettion is still on going...Zach didn't get into contact for the first three or so practices..but Shaq says that he has quickly returning to form..D.O will not make a come back until the fall...recovering extremely well and when he gets back i see him as a heavy favorite at Mike or Will...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Grace be a more natural fit at WLB vice SLB?

It's a scheme reason for Diaz. His SAM has more responsibilities than the will. I also think that he likes to blitz from that position and have a safety come down to cover and who not better to blitz than the fastest person on your defense.

Thanks for the sentiment... and I enjoy sharing.... And I agree Diaz's SAM has more responsibilities and needs the athleticism to play out in space... almost like a 4-2 Star... The Star being SAM he can line up in the box .. or cover a receiver if the offensive sets dictates it.

Advertisement
How are the other guys playing? The Gordiner, Perry, McCray guys?

He says everybody is working extremely hard... no one wants to be the guy not earning his scholarship... He said he was surprised about how everyone continues to motivate each other and work together even when everyone wants to be on the field... He was expecting a rat race, back stabbing rant where everyone will do what ever it takes to get on the field.. and its been just the opposite... But still you know everybody is hungry and want to be on the field

How's it going for him? Is he adjusting well?

Go Canes

Everything is going fine... He said he feels like he has been in Miami a year already. When practice started he was third on the depth behind Gordiner and McCray. I explained to him that he is in a new territory... by not being number one on the depth chart. I went on to say that you have always been the starter.. the man. I told him that everyone else on the team was the man also... I told him not to be discouraged and you work your butt off regardless of your position on the depth chart. If you are not pushing the people in front of you then you are not doing your job... Then when he jumped from the 3rd spot to the 1st spot... I explained the same work ethic applies... but now if you are not pulling the personnel behind you then you are not doing your job. He says the biggest adjustment is the pace... The play is faster... the learning is faster... everything is faster... I talked to him about his weight.. he is satisfied around 240... I would like to see him around 230 - 235... we have compromised to 12.5% body fat by 1st day of fall camp. He has adjusted well to the class room... all but one of his classes are small... and that one large class makes him appreciate the small setting of the others. Time is flying everything is moving in a blur... I sometime forgets he still should be in high school ... I ordered his cap and gown and paid for his prom ticket today while making arrangements to go to Miami for a few days prior to the Spring Game... Looks like I will miss the Oxbridge scrimmage.. I have a grand daughter that will be celebrating her first birthday on the same day. I'm trying to set the B-Day with a tailgating theme... not sure how that will work... but Shaq knows and understand that everybody in the family carries the same weight and not one of us out weight the sum of the whole. He is loving Miami and thinks that is where he wants to live... He met DJ Williams the other day who was spectating Pro Day... He said Coach Rumph made him feel kinda good when he introduced him to DJ William.. by saying 'This is the Freshmen we were talking about', and at the same time he said it puts a little more pressure on him when people have such a high expectations of him... Told him no one should have higher expectations for Shaq... than Shaq... and all that you can do is your absolute best. I asked him if they still treated him the same as they did when they recruited him.. he quickly responded NO... He said the tone now is what have you done to get better in the last 5 minutes... He says there is a constant demand to get better... and he often hears some of you guys are not earning your scholarships... and its directed in such away that you are not sure who the statement is directed to. All in all he is having a blast.. already forming bonds that will last for the rest of his life.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

He says everybody is working extremely hard... no one wants to be the guy not earning his scholarship... He said he was surprised about how everyone continues to motivate each other and work together even when everyone wants to be on the field... He was expecting a rat race, back stabbing rant where everyone will do what ever it takes to get on the field.. and its been just the opposite... But still you know everybody is hungry and want to be on the field

That to me is a function of a good coach/leader who understands the psychology of group dynamics. What typically happens when you play favorites is the resentful back stabbing to unseat the favored one. Treat everyone in the group the same and equally hard and unforgiving of any lack of effort, and you rally the troops in mutual support of each other. It's like the a-hole marine drill sargent that gets in everyone's grill with his spit and the whole battalion fears his wrath. It builds unity among the company in the face of a common perceived threat, and at the same time toughens you up for the real battle.

That to me is a function of a good coach/leader who understands the psychology of group dynamics. What typically happens when you play favorites is the resentful back stabbing to unseat the favored one. Treat everyone in the group the same and equally hard and unforgiving of any lack of effort, and you rally the troops in mutual support of each other. It's like the a-hole marine drill sargent that gets in everyone's grill with his spit and the whole battalion fears his wrath. It builds unity among the company in the face of a common perceived threat, and at the same time toughens you up for the real battle.

Spot On...

Advertisement
Hope those legs don't get too heavy. Size and strength won't be an issue for him. If he can play, then he should start from day one. This isn't the typical undersized freshmans LB.

Had an opportunity to meet my drill instructor when I was in the fleet. I was like no thanks! lol Such a small world. My aunt was renting a house from him. Anyways, completely agree with you.

Some kids a destined to succeed. Congratulation homie you did not have to experience the pit falls of raising a young AA male. Be thankful. He'll be everything and more as a football player we wish for.

Advertisement
[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] thank you so much for your insight as a fan and the father of a D1 athlete. You have been with us here before Shaq was even close to being enrolled at the U. You don't have to, but the fact that you take the time to reach out and respond to the fan base is A1 class. Thanks for all that you do and I hope that to enjoy this ride with you through your perspective.

Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing your info with everyone. Best of luck to your son and can't wait to see him perform in orange and green on Saturday's.

Advertisement
View attachment 35982
202128b72b91fe5bb1e4120cb2c2c532.jpg

sun-meter.gif~original

How's it going for him? Is he adjusting well?

Go Canes

Everything is going fine... He said he feels like he has been in Miami a year already. When practice started he was third on the depth behind Gordiner and McCray. I explained to him that he is in a new territory... by not being number one on the depth chart. I went on to say that you have always been the starter.. the man. I told him that everyone else on the team was the man also... I told him not to be discouraged and you work your butt off regardless of your position on the depth chart. If you are not pushing the people in front of you then you are not doing your job... Then when he jumped from the 3rd spot to the 1st spot... I explained the same work ethic applies... but now if you are not pulling the personnel behind you then you are not doing your job. He says the biggest adjustment is the pace... The play is faster... the learning is faster... everything is faster... I talked to him about his weight.. he is satisfied around 240... I would like to see him around 230 - 235... we have compromised to 12.5% body fat by 1st day of fall camp. He has adjusted well to the class room... all but one of his classes are small... and that one large class makes him appreciate the small setting of the others. Time is flying everything is moving in a blur... I sometime forgets he still should be in high school ... I ordered his cap and gown and paid for his prom ticket today while making arrangements to go to Miami for a few days prior to the Spring Game... Looks like I will miss the Oxbridge scrimmage.. I have a grand daughter that will be celebrating her first birthday on the same day. I'm trying to set the B-Day with a tailgating theme... not sure how that will work... but Shaq knows and understand that everybody in the family carries the same weight and not one of us out weight the sum of the whole. He is loving Miami and thinks that is where he wants to live... He met DJ Williams the other day who was spectating Pro Day... He said Coach Rumph made him feel kinda good when he introduced him to DJ William.. by saying 'This is the Freshmen we were talking about', and at the same time he said it puts a little more pressure on him when people have such a high expectations of him... Told him no one should have higher expectations for Shaq... than Shaq... and all that you can do is your absolute best. I asked him if they still treated him the same as they did when they recruited him.. he quickly responded NO... He said the tone now is what have you done to get better in the last 5 minutes... He says there is a constant demand to get better... and he often hears some of you guys are not earning your scholarships... and its directed in such away that you are not sure who the statement is directed to. All in all he is having a blast.. already forming bonds that will last for the rest of his life.

Uknowwhat,
Very inspiring read
Thanks for sharing

All the best to Shaq!
Cant wait to see him play and grow as a person and as a player.

Can he please do the Michael Barrow salute to the WEZ after his first sack, which will likely come in the first game?

Advertisement
Back