#can'twait

How's it going for him? Is he adjusting well?

Go Canes

Everything is going fine... He said he feels like he has been in Miami a year already. When practice started he was third on the depth behind Gordiner and McCray. I explained to him that he is in a new territory... by not being number one on the depth chart. I went on to say that you have always been the starter.. the man. I told him that everyone else on the team was the man also... I told him not to be discouraged and you work your butt off regardless of your position on the depth chart. If you are not pushing the people in front of you then you are not doing your job... Then when he jumped from the 3rd spot to the 1st spot... I explained the same work ethic applies... but now if you are not pulling the personnel behind you then you are not doing your job. He says the biggest adjustment is the pace... The play is faster... the learning is faster... everything is faster... I talked to him about his weight.. he is satisfied around 240... I would like to see him around 230 - 235... we have compromised to 12.5% body fat by 1st day of fall camp. He has adjusted well to the class room... all but one of his classes are small... and that one large class makes him appreciate the small setting of the others. Time is flying everything is moving in a blur... I sometime forgets he still should be in high school ... I ordered his cap and gown and paid for his prom ticket today while making arrangements to go to Miami for a few days prior to the Spring Game... Looks like I will miss the Oxbridge scrimmage.. I have a grand daughter that will be celebrating her first birthday on the same day. I'm trying to set the B-Day with a tailgating theme... not sure how that will work... but Shaq knows and understand that everybody in the family carries the same weight and not one of us out weight the sum of the whole. He is loving Miami and thinks that is where he wants to live... He met DJ Williams the other day who was spectating Pro Day... He said Coach Rumph made him feel kinda good when he introduced him to DJ William.. by saying 'This is the Freshmen we were talking about', and at the same time he said it puts a little more pressure on him when people have such a high expectations of him... Told him no one should have higher expectations for Shaq... than Shaq... and all that you can do is your absolute best. I asked him if they still treated him the same as they did when they recruited him.. he quickly responded NO... He said the tone now is what have you done to get better in the last 5 minutes... He says there is a constant demand to get better... and he often hears some of you guys are not earning your scholarships... and its directed in such away that you are not sure who the statement is directed to. All in all he is having a blast.. already forming bonds that will last for the rest of his life.

Advertisement
Grace does look bigger then 205lbs. I do believe some guys are going to come into fall camp with more muscle mass. I believe spring workouts was condition base to weed out the weak and to shed some of that bad weight.
I think you are right..Cause Shaq is more concern about body fat than he is about weight

Grace does look bigger then 205lbs. I do believe some guys are going to come into fall camp with more muscle mass. I believe spring workouts was condition base to weed out the weak and to shed some of that bad weight.

Grace is not 205 that was a typo, he is about 215-220 now.

Go Canes

Everything is going fine... He said he feels like he has been in Miami a year already. When practice started he was third on the depth behind Gordiner and McCray. I explained to him that he is in a new territory... by not being number one on the depth chart. I went on to say that you have always been the starter.. the man. I told him that everyone else on the team was the man also... I told him not to be discouraged and you work your butt off regardless of your position on the depth chart. If you are not pushing the people in front of you then you are not doing your job... Then when he jumped from the 3rd spot to the 1st spot... I explained the same work ethic applies... but now if you are not pulling the personnel behind you then you are not doing your job. He says the biggest adjustment is the pace... The play is faster... the learning is faster... everything is faster... I talked to him about his weight.. he is satisfied around 240... I would like to see him around 230 - 235... we have compromised to 12.5% body fat by 1st day of fall camp. He has adjusted well to the class room... all but one of his classes are small... and that one large class makes him appreciate the small setting of the others. Time is flying everything is moving in a blur... I sometime forgets he still should be in high school ... I ordered his cap and gown and paid for his prom ticket today while making arrangements to go to Miami for a few days prior to the Spring Game... Looks like I will miss the Oxbridge scrimmage.. I have a grand daughter that will be celebrating her first birthday on the same day. I'm trying to set the B-Day with a tailgating theme... not sure how that will work... but Shaq knows and understand that everybody in the family carries the same weight and not one of us out weight the sum of the whole. He is loving Miami and thinks that is where he wants to live... He met DJ Williams the other day who was spectating Pro Day... He said Coach Rumph made him feel kinda good when he introduced him to DJ William.. by saying 'This is the Freshmen we were talking about', and at the same time he said it puts a little more pressure on him when people have such a high expectations of him... Told him no one should have higher expectations for Shaq... than Shaq... and all that you can do is your absolute best. I asked him if they still treated him the same as they did when they recruited him.. he quickly responded NO... He said the tone now is what have you done to get better in the last 5 minutes... He says there is a constant demand to get better... and he often hears some of you guys are not earning your scholarships... and its directed in such away that you are not sure who the statement is directed to. All in all he is having a blast.. already forming bonds that will last for the rest of his life.

Inspirtional

Advertisement
[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] I thought I read a while back shaq was going to getjon beason's old number now that deon bush has graduated.

How did Shaq end up with 55?

Also thanks for sharing the original post.

Go Canes

[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] I thought I read a while back shaq was going to getjon beason's old number now that deon bush has graduated.

Go Canes
Grace wasn't given up 5 and I think they are trending to having LBs with the NFL Traditional LB numbers. ..Pinkney is 56 McCloud is 53

Go Canes
Grace wasn't given up 5 and I think they are trending to having LBs with the NFL Traditional LB numbers. ..Pinkney is 56 McCloud is 53

how are mccloud and pinkney doing? whens owens returning? thnx

Congrats to you and Shaq's continued success. I love Diazs' style so far. No favorites, keep everyone hungry and on their toes. Jamie G surprising some folks and making everyone around him better. Especially #55

Advertisement

Go Canes

Was just going to ask the same thing

Go Canes

Mike and Zach are doing great...as a matter of fact Pinkney is running with the ones at Will..He and JY are in a battle...But i honestly feel that there has not been a determined Depth Chart... I think the only spot thats locked is Grace at SAM...for everbody else compettion is still on going...Zach didn't get into contact for the first three or so practices..but Shaq says that he has quickly returning to form..D.O will not make a come back until the fall...recovering extremely well and when he gets back i see him as a heavy favorite at Mike or Will...

Advertisement

Go Canes

Thank you for the update and glad he is enjoying the process. Congrats to your son on already running with the #s . Hopefully he takes your advise and continues to put in the work. I really like your approach with your son and how you handle the situation. I can tell you use your prior military experience and life lessons. Job well done Sir!

So stoked for Shaq, I just wanna see him shoot the gap at 245 and wreck every QB this year. Maybe get a excessive celebration penalty 😁

what the **** did you feed that kid the last 18 or so years? he's a grown man!

btw, congrats on getting him to the U. its says a lot about him and your family. also, its great having you on this board, and i look forward to meeting you.

Advertisement

Go Canes

Mike and Zach are doing great...as a matter of fact Pinkney is running with the ones at Will..He and JY are in a battle...But i honestly feel that there has not been a determined Depth Chart... I think the only spot thats locked is Grace at SAM...for everbody else compettion is still on going...Zach didn't get into contact for the first three or so practices..but Shaq says that he has quickly returning to form..D.O will not make a come back until the fall...recovering extremely well and when he gets back i see him as a heavy favorite at Mike or Will...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Grace be a more natural fit at WLB vice SLB?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Grace be a more natural fit at WLB vice SLB?

It's a scheme reason for Diaz. His SAM has more responsibilities than the will. I also think that he likes to blitz from that position and have a safety come down to cover and who not better to blitz than the fastest person on your defense.

Advertisement
Back