Can't be serious.

Bro my point is we hired Manny Diaz after an 8 hour search last year. If UNLV can pull Arranda this off-season that makes that move look even more incompetent. If UNLV could pull him this year after all the success this year we definately could have snatched him up last cyle. Not to mention we haven't made any staff changes.
There was NO search.

Advertisement
The buzz is legit here locally. They're gonna throw money at him and his staff and leverage the new stadium/facilities for some recruiting momentum.

Not happening. They’ll rob another charity or start tapping into church tithings before they let Aranda go. But god please make it true. Let’s hope Raymond also dips somewhere as a dc.

Advertisement
If UNL $uckin V gets Dave Aranda and we are stuck with Manny for another year...Hopefully it's a cash grab from Aranda pressuring LSU for a bigger extension. Everyone claiming Manny deserves another year should pay attention to all the talented coaches being hired around the country. Head coaches and assistants. I watched Auburn snatch up Chad Morris and Georgia grab Matt Luke. Neither coach probably would have come to work for Manny but that's not the point. Teams across the country are getting better. I keep hearing there will be changes after the bowl game. Why wait? I could care less if we loose to LA Tech if it meant upgrading the staff. Texas will probably grab Graham Harrell. I wanted Manny gone. When that didn't happen I atleast expected some staff changes. If they are waiting until after the bowl game I hope there are still talented coaches left. After the Blake Baker hire I don't trust Manny to find the "Diamond in the rough" type candidates. Maybe Highsmith is announced as the new football czar and it was all worth the wait. Won't hold my breath.

Did you really jump from "is the focus of" to "got him"? Gruden was our focus once upon a time.

Dave Aranda is the highest paid coordinator in college football making $2.5mill a year, he just signed a 4 year extension for $10million total last year.

He makes more than a lot of HC's in D1 ball as a DC, there would be no reason for him to leverage a small time gig like UNLV for another contract.

Either UNLV is just throwing his name out there to drum up some buzz, or he's legit looking for an opportunity to get a HC job & doesn't really care where it is.

LSU could afford to give him a pay raise if that's what he wants, but it wouldn't make sense to have a coordinator making $3mill a year when your HC is only making $4mill a year (although I'm certain Ed O is getting a big extension after the season).
Why wouldnt it make sense? He's being paid more at the end of the day. No doubt though Coach O gets a big pay day soon.

Advertisement
Why wouldnt it make sense? He's being paid more at the end of the day. No doubt though Coach O gets a big pay day soon.
Because he's already the highest paid Coordinator in college football & he just signed an extension last year, he can't leverage LSU for more money by using a small nothing Moutain West program like UNLV to get more money.

Aranda is not a LSU lifer & he's not the reason they went undefeated & made the playoffs this season, Joe Brady is, therefore if his agent is throwing it out there that he might leave to UNLV, LSU doesn't have to panic & pay him more when they already did last year. If he were using another SEC program or another P5 program as leverage it would make more sense, but UNLV? Nah, LSU would just go hire another DC to take his place or simply elevate Corey Raymond from within as the DC in waiting.

If Aranda leaves that's easier for LSU to not have to pay a DC $2.5 - 3 million a year (which is basically Head Coach money), I'm certain they'd prefer to pay that much to keep Brady or would be perfectly fine with paying another DC or Raymond $1mill to do the same job.

There's no leverage for Aranda by going to UNLV, that program hasn't won 10 games since literally the year 1984 & has been a perennial loser for the majority of their history. Which means he would likely fail there too, so if he's trying to use them to get more money all LSU has to do is say go ahead & fail hard at UNLV you'll only lower your own stock as a HC.

Last edited:
Because he's already the highest paid Coordinator in college football & he just signed an extension last year, he can't leverage LSU for more money by using a small nothing Moutain West program like UNLV to get more money.

Aranda is not a LSU lifer & he's not the reason they went undefeated & made the playoffs this season, Joe Brady is, therefore if his agent is throwing it out there that he might leave to UNLV, LSU doesn't have to panic & pay him more when they already did last year. If he were using another SEC program or another P5 program as leverage it would make more sense, but UNLV? Nah, LSU would just go hire another DC to take his place or simply elevate Corey Raymond from within as the DC in waiting.

If Aranda leaves that's easier for LSU to not have to pay a DC $2.5 - 3 million a year (which is basically Head Coach money), I'm certain they'd prefer to pay that much to keep Brady or would be perfectly fine with paying another DC or Raymond $1mill to do the same job.

There's no leverage for Aranda by going to UNLV, that program hasn't won 10 games since literally the year 2,000 & has been a perennial loser for the majority of their history. Which means he would likely fail there too, so if he's trying to use them to get more money all LSU has to do is say go ahead & fail hard at UNLV you'll only lower your own stock as a HC.
I agree with all that... maybe I should have made myself more clear...
If the HC makes 4m, I could still see the DC making 3.5m. Coach O is gonna get a pay raise and there isnt any rule about how much you can pay a DC.

Dave Aranda is the highest paid coordinator in college football making $2.5mill a year, he just signed a 4 year extension for $10million total last year.

He makes more than a lot of HC's in D1 ball as a DC, there would be no reason for him to leverage a small time gig like UNLV for another contract.

Either UNLV is just throwing his name out there to drum up some buzz, or he's legit looking for an opportunity to get a HC job & doesn't really care where it is.

LSU could afford to give him a pay raise if that's what he wants, but it wouldn't make sense to have a coordinator making $3mill a year when your HC is only making $4mill a year (although I'm certain Ed O is getting a big extension after the season).
UNLV is getting a pro stadium. Its not a bad move, bring Tate over and he could win the conference year 1

Advertisement
I agree with all that... maybe I should have made myself more clear...
If the HC makes 4m, I could still see the DC making 3.5m. Coach O is gonna get a pay raise and there isnt any rule about how much you can pay a DC.
No program regardless of how much money they have to spend wants to pay a coordinator $3.5mill a year.

Especially one that's not crucial to all their success. Not saying that Aranda isn't a great coach, but he's been their DC for the last 4 years & they hadn't had this much success until Joe Brady showed up & transformed the Offense.

There would be no need to pay a coordinator HC money unless that coordinator was vital to your program being a championship team & given the prestige of LSU as a program it's an incredibly attractive job coaching the Defense with how many elite Defensive players they have access to on an annual basis in recruiting. So, you could get fairly equal results at a much cheaper price by hiring a new DC from somewhere else or elevating Corey Raymond from within.

It would make sense for Clemson to offer that kinda money to keep Venables given the importance he plays in their success, but DC at LSU? **** just about every other DC in college Football would jump at the opportunity for that job.

UNLV is getting a pro stadium. Its not a bad move, bring Tate over and he could win the conference year 1
Lmao, have you ever watched UNLV play? Do you know how little talent they have?

Even the biggest Tathaniel cheerleader wouldn't seriously believe he would be enough to turn around UNLV.

No program regardless of how much money they have to spend wants to pay a coordinator $3.5mill a year.

Especially one that's not crucial to all their success. Not saying that Aranda isn't a great coach, but he's been their DC for the last 4 years & they hadn't had this much success until Joe Brady showed up & transformed the Offense.

There would be no need to pay a coordinator HC money unless that coordinator was vital to your program being a championship team & given the prestige of LSU as a program it's an incredibly attractive job coaching the Defense with how many elite Defensive players they have access to on an annual basis in recruiting. So, you could get fairly equal results at a much cheaper price by hiring a new DC from somewhere else or elevating Corey Raymond from within.

It would make sense for Clemson to offer that kinda money to keep Venables given the importance he plays in their success, but DC at LSU? **** just about every other DC in college Football would jump at the opportunity for that job.
And to be honest, his D has been sketchy at times this year. They can go get another Aranda and pay less for it thats for sure. After this season might be a good time for them to part ways. UNLV though? Eesh.

Advertisement
Lmao, have you ever watched UNLV play? Do you know how little talent they have?

Even the biggest Tathaniel cheerleader wouldn't seriously believe he would be enough to turn around UNLV.
Have you seen how much talent we have and how little we do? Coaching/implementing schemes that utilize your the talent you do have can make a difference. Its not like the conference is loaded with talent

Bro my point is we hired Manny Diaz after an 8 hour search last year. If UNLV can pull Arranda this off-season that makes that move look even more incompetent. If UNLV could pull him this year after all the success this year we definately could have snatched him up last cyle. Not to mention we haven't made any staff changes.

What makes you think Aranda is any more qualified to be a head coach than Manny? There's not much difference between there defensive numbers over the past few years with a slight edge to Manny.
Also Manny's coaching pedigree is much better than Aranda's when you're talking mentors. Aranda is also a very introverted personality, he has almost none of the charisma that Diaz has. He's like Shannon personality wise.

Yes we've had many rough years and alot of the criticisms of the schemes & effort are warranted, but I just don't understand the need for certain posters to bash our coaches, players, and this U at every single little opportunity. I couldn't imagine my life being that miserable. Guys got some serious inferiority complexes going smh

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back