Canesport Reporting

CTCANE

Junior
That Coach L is closing in on a 2 years extension through the 25/26 season

Last edited:
Advertisement
while I dont necessarily agree with the extension because it reeks of laziness: one good year after 4 abysmal ones

we can all agree L’s good teams are fun to watch while his bad teams are a struggle to watch. Hopefully we continue to get the good ones until he retires

Roster construction is still the elephant in the room.

Last edited:
while I dont necessarily agree with the extension because it reeks of laziness: one good year after 4 abysmal ones

we can all agree L’s good teams are fun to watch while his bad teams are a struggle to watch. Hopefully we continue to get the good ones until he retires

Roster construction is still the elephant in the room.
I have to chime in on this.

First, it's three abysmal years (2019, 2020, 2021) not four. In 2018 we finished 3rd in the ACC and went to the tournament. In fact, Larranaga has only had "bad" teams in the 3 years after the Adidas scandal that cost us an entire recruiting class.

So in 8 of his 11 seasons he and his staff have done an excellent job. The only times they didn't do an excellent job they had bad rosters mostly due to (1) the Adidas scandal and (2) his best player being ruled ineligible a few days before the season.

We just finished 4th in the ACC after being picked to finished 12th and, what's more, we just signed a top 25ish recruiting class. Yet somehow giving that coach a two year extension is seen as lazy. I've noticed that whenever the school does something that some posters disagree with it's always described as lazy.

I think that calling everything that you disagree with lazy is actually lazy.

I have to chime in on this.

First, it's three abysmal years (2019, 2020, 2021) not four. In 2018 we finished 3rd in the ACC and went to the tournament. In fact, Larranaga has only had "bad" teams in the 3 years after the Adidas scandal that cost us an entire recruiting class.

So in 8 of his 11 seasons he and his staff have done an excellent job. The only times they didn't do an excellent job they had bad rosters mostly due to (1) the Adidas scandal and (2) his best player being ruled ineligible a few days before the season.

We just finished 4th in the ACC after being picked to finished 12th and, what's more, we just signed a top 25ish recruiting class. Yet somehow giving that coach a two year extension is seen as lazy. I've noticed that whenever the school does something that some posters disagree with it's always described as lazy.

I think that calling everything that you disagree with lazy is actually lazy.
Lmao for some reason I think I know exactly who this is 🤣🤣🤣 welcome back and I look forward to you being on the board for a couple weeks before getting banned.

Advertisement
Lmao for some reason I think I know exactly who this is 🤣🤣🤣 welcome back and I look forward to you being on the board for a couple weeks before getting banned.

So no response to your error on the years and then the factual recounting of the reasons for the three bad seasons?

OK.

So no response to your error on the years and then the factual recounting of the reasons for the three bad seasons?

OK.
I will not go back and forth with you after this post. 4 because we lost to a play in team in round 1 with the most talented Miami basketball team the school will ever see. Been down hill since until this year.

I hope you enjoy your time on here

I will not go back and forth with you after this post. 4 because we lost in a play in game with the most talented Miami basketball team the school will ever see. Been down hill since until this year.

It looks like you won't go back and forth because you always seem to get things wrong.

We didn't lose a play-in game (do you actually mean first four?) whatever that means. I think you're saying it was the most talented because it had Bruce Brown and Lonnie Walker but Brown was injured mid-season and didn't play in the tournament and Lonnie Walker was the one who dribbled the ball off his foot at the end of the Loyola game. I'm sure you think Larranaga's coaching had something to do with Brown's injury and Walker's loose handle.

So you think 2018 was an "abysmal" season because we lost one game on a last-second shot to a team that went to the Final Four?

That and you won't even try to address the reasons why the following three years were "downhill."

I'm starting to get a good idea of who I'm dealing with.

Last edited:
Advertisement
2 years is fine and I doubt the buyout is consequential.

Right, buyout is the real key here. If they weren't going to fire him, which there's no shot in **** they were going to do considering we're a near lock for the tourny, they had to extend him to preserve the aura of stability.

Doesn't mean they're dead set on keeping him long term, just means he survives another year.

Last edited:
I will not go back and forth with you after this post. 4 because we lost to a play in team in round 1 with the most talented Miami basketball team the school will ever see. Been down hill since until this year.

I'm not arguing about the extension, but are you talking about Lonnie's year? We lost to a team that made the Final 4 and we didn't have Bruce Brown.

I've got no qualm with the extension. Larranaga seems to be back to his old self and besides 2 years still gives the program enough flexibility if a change is needed down the road. If for nothing else, it's good for recruiting purposes that Miami not have a lame duck head coach trying to convince players to come here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wouldn’t have don’t thing but I’m sure the buyout doesn’t change. I bet he retires before the end of the contract.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back