Canesport Reporting

Advertisement
I’m fine with the extension. As I’ve said all season, I think to get to the next level (regular tournament team, elite eight upside) it’s going to take an upgrade but there’s a functioning AD in charge finally and if he says extension then so be it. As nice as this season has been, the reality is we’re still just a notch above a bubble team. Let’s not pretend like we’re a top 10 team.

I will not go back and forth with you after this post. 4 because we lost to a play in team in round 1 with the most talented Miami basketball team the school will ever see. Been down hill since until this year.

I hope you enjoy your time on here
Wrong!!!! Bruce Brown was injured from Feb 1 on. So it wasnt our best team ever, not even close. The Play in team made it to the Final Four! And Lonnie Walker missed the front end of a 1 and 1 otherwise we win. Thnkfully you are not the Athletic Director. Coach L deserves this extension.

Advertisement
I’m fine with the extension. As I’ve said all season, I think to get to the next level (regular tournament team, elite eight upside) it’s going to take an upgrade but there’s a functioning AD in charge finally and if he says extension then so be it. As nice as this season has been, the reality is we’re still just a notch above a bubble team. Let’s not pretend like we’re a top 10 team.

1. Extensions are really just for recruiting, I highly doubt his buyout changed, which is all that matters.

2. This is our 3rd best ACC record, ever. Even in a weak ACC, that's a great year.

I don't really get what people expect out of the program. This isn't football or baseball, any outside observer would have either us or Clemson as the "worst" programs in the ACC in terms of history, prestige, fan support, etc. Pretending that Miami should be a top-10 team is pretty ridiculous though IMO. I expect that out of football/baseball. Basketball making the NCAAT is always an achievement for us

1. Extensions are really just for recruiting, I highly doubt his buyout changed, which is all that matters.

2. This is our 3rd best ACC record, ever. Even in a weak ACC, that's a great year.

I don't really get what people expect out of the program. This isn't football or baseball, any outside observer would have either us or Clemson as the "worst" programs in the ACC in terms of history, prestige, fan support, etc. Pretending that Miami should be a top-10 team is pretty ridiculous though IMO. I expect that out of football/baseball. Basketball making the NCAAT is always an achievement for us
It those are your expectations then we just view things very differently, and that’s ok. I never said anything about consistently being a top 10 team. I said regular tourney team with occasional elite eight upside. I don’t think that’s unrealistic by any means. But like I said, agree to disagree and let’s pound BC tomorrow

Granted, Coach L knows good stuff and has achieved greatness in basketball. And deserves credit for this year's (limited) success (thus far) because even a bad cook can spoil a meal despite top ingredients and recipe. And basically he sure knows how to cook (as well as dance.)

He has recently energized Sam (at times) and allowed some younger players to shine (at times) while letting genuine ACC-high-caliber veteran starters do their thing (mostly well) - Wong, Kam, and Charlie. With a fair amount of luck and ACC parity (and recent FSU and Wake doldrums) and despite low-NET tendencies and some game-time head-scratchers, here we find ourselves literally thriving in March! Yay! Thanks Jim, and I sure hope it continues!

However: Roster management, schemes, recruiting, handling of Rodney and Gak and Cross and Chris and others don't rate an A+, or anything close to it, in my opinion after closely studying and observing every game and nuance for many years. Even with NCAA hocus-pocus and injuries and limited fan support to point at, I'm still not convinced this extension is an excellent development for Miami basketball. However, sure could be worse and I do doubt there are a good many affordable and willing palate-pleasing candidates for satisfying replacement just waiting for a phonecall out there.

I will continue to savor and enjoy all the delicious meals he cooks up going forward and hope there are many. I will also moan about any less than tasty performances, and hope there are few. I tend to doubt it, but as always, will be happy to eat my words!

Granted, Coach L knows good stuff and has achieved greatness in basketball. And deserves credit for this year's (limited) success (thus far) because even a bad cook can spoil a meal despite top ingredients and recipe. And basically he sure knows how to cook (as well as dance.)

He has recently energized Sam (at times) and allowed some younger players to shine (at times) while letting genuine ACC-high-caliber veteran starters do their thing (mostly well) - Wong, Kam, and Charlie. With a fair amount of luck and ACC parity (and recent FSU and Wake doldrums) and despite low-NET tendencies and some game-time head-scratchers, here we find ourselves literally thriving in March! Yay! Thanks Jim, and I sure hope it continues!

However: Roster management, schemes, recruiting, handling of Rodney and Gak and Cross and Chris and others don't rate an A+, or anything close to it, in my opinion after closely studying and observing every game and nuance for many years. Even with NCAA hocus-pocus and injuries and limited fan support to point at, I'm still not convinced this extension is an excellent development for Miami basketball. However, sure could be worse and I do doubt there are a good many affordable and willing palate-pleasing candidates for satisfying replacement just waiting for a phonecall out there.

I will continue to savor and enjoy all the delicious meals he cooks up going forward and hope there are many. I will also moan about any less than tasty performances, and hope there are few. I tend to doubt it, but as always, will be happy to eat my words!
Perfectly said 👏🏻

Advertisement
I will not go back and forth with you after this post. 4 because we lost to a play in team in round 1 with the most talented Miami basketball team the school will ever see. Been down hill since until this year.

I hope you enjoy your time on here

Play in team?

See, when you have to make up lies, you already should know you'll get checked on it. Loyola was not a "play in team". And they literally went to the Final 4, so acting like they weren't good is weird. We didn't have Bruce Brown and lost on a 35 foot shot. If that's a "bad year" though be a Duke fan I guess because this is uh, Miami basketball we're talking about.

Then 2 bad years b/c the FBI/DOJ's false accusations blew up our recruiting. Then another because half our roster was hurt last year.

Then back to being a NCAAT team this year.

The bar shouldn't be this low. I'll keep saying it til I'm blue in the face. The state of Florida produces as much top HS basketball talent as any state in the country except for California, Texas and New York. And I'm not even including the imports to the basketball factories (IMG, Montverde, DME, etc.). Therefore, IF Miami's staff can do a better job recruiting then why can't we be a perennial power in basketball? The resources are there. We've got a great facility. Larranaga isn't a bad college coach. There are plenty of in-state recruits. I don't think money is an issue. The only thing that hurts us right now recruiting wise is that we're not a Nike school anymore. So getting the inside track on some kids might be a little harder, but not impossible to sway. Aside from that there should be no reason why we aren't pulling in top 20 classes on a yearly basis. This ain't 1985 anymore. This just isn't a football, baseball or soccer state any more. The State of Florida is a major player on the prep basketball scene and it's about time our program reap some of the benefits from it. GO CANES!!!

I have to chime in on this.

First, it's three abysmal years (2019, 2020, 2021) not four. In 2018 we finished 3rd in the ACC and went to the tournament. In fact, Larranaga has only had "bad" teams in the 3 years after the Adidas scandal that cost us an entire recruiting class.

So in 8 of his 11 seasons he and his staff have done an excellent job. The only times they didn't do an excellent job they had bad rosters mostly due to (1) the Adidas scandal and (2) his best player being ruled ineligible a few days before the season.

We just finished 4th in the ACC after being picked to finished 12th and, what's more, we just signed a top 25ish recruiting class. Yet somehow giving that coach a two year extension is seen as lazy. I've noticed that whenever the school does something that some posters disagree with it's always described as lazy.

I think that calling everything that you disagree with lazy is actually lazy.
One of the best posts I've ever seen on any forum

When have we ever been a consistent top 10 basketball program? Being a notch above a bubble team is something I'll take. Especially considering how bad the basketball team has been historically. Coach L has been the best thing that's happened to the basketball program in over 20 years. That fbi/Adidas scandal was crippling to the program. The basketball program was in the best shape it had ever been in prior to that mess. We were rolling!! Looks like L has us back on track.
His extension is well deserved IMO.

Advertisement
When have we ever been a consistent top 10 basketball program? Being a notch above a bubble team is something I'll take. Especially considering how bad the basketball team has been historically. Coach L has been the best thing that's happened to the basketball program in over 20 years. That fbi/Adidas scandal was crippling to the program. The basketball program was in the best shape it had ever been in prior to that mess. We were rolling!! Looks like L has us back on track.
His extension is well deserved IMO.
Again, if you believe the ceiling for Miami basketball is a notch above a bubble team, we just have to agree to disagree. I also said I’m fine with the extension. Don’t love it, don’t hate it.

What's more is that if you understand this program's place and have reasonable expectations you're called "weak" and "soft-shouldered."

As if being delusional is a point of pride.

Advertisement
Which is what we were before the Adidas scandal.

7 seasons, 4 NCAA tournaments, 2 Sweet Sixteens, 1 NIT Final.
That’s fair. I guess I’m just not as willing to use the Adidas “scandal” as the sole reason for the last 3 years. Certainly had an impact, but Coach L and his staff also have to shoulder some blame for the roster management abortion of the previous 3 years.

Not a single person has said this.

You are constantly arguing against nobody in particular.
I literally quoted the post in which it was said that “being a notch above a bubble team is something I’ll take”. So a single person did say it. Scroll up. If you also happened to read what I said, if those are your expectations then so be it. In that case, we’re fine where we’re at. I happen to believe there’s another level Miami basketball is capable of getting to. Is that so ridiculous and unreasonable? Im not arguing against nobody in particular, I’m not arguing against anybody at all. Simply using a message board to express my point of view, which doesn’t seem all that unrealistic to me.

Advertisement
Back