Canesinsight Big Board (7/25)

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The Canesinsight Big Board is a new feature, which we will update every couple of weeks. A new update could include new percentages, new tidbits, and even new names. These are the prospects who have committed to Miami, Miami is actively recruiting, or could be recruited by Miami in the future.

Percentage Key
0-10 Extremely Low Chance
15-25 Low Chance
30-40 Decent Chance
45-60 Good Chance
65-75 Great Chance
80-95 Virtual Lock
100 Lock

In parentheses is the expected number that Miami will take at that position.

QB (1)
Olsen will be the only QB in the class. He will be the 4th QB to sign in 2 years.

Kevin Olsen (commit): 100%

RB (1-2)
Miami needs depth in the backfield, especially if 2012 signee Danny Dillard can’t qualify. Ray Lewis III could play here.

Alex Collins (commit): Collins committed to Miami early in the process, but there has been a lot of chatter about FSU recently. The ‘Noles have not decided whether or not they want another RB in this class. Wisconsin is still in the picture. (65%)

AJ Turman: The big running back is currently visiting schools and Miami will be one of his upcoming destinations. Look for the staff to make him more of a priority as the Collins situation plays out, even if he stays committed. (30%)

WR (1-2)
It was a big class for receivers last year, but the staff is possibly looking to add another to go along with AJL, who had to go prep.

Angelo Jean-Louis (commit): The 2012 signee will be here in January; he’s at Fork Union Military Academy for the season. His commitment has always been strong and the coaches love him. (100%)

Stacy Coley: Incredible talent, but there has been some talk about the Miami staff not being crazy about him. Off-field issues may be the concern. He likes Miami, but most likely ends up elsewhere. Things could change, but reports aren’t positive right now. (15%)

Jordan Cunningham: Solid player who is an excellent student. Canes are near the top with Stanford. Not sure if the offer is committable at this moment. (60%)

Levonte Whitfield: The former Miami commit has fallen off the table recently. FSU leads at the moment and he has not been in constant communication with the Miami staff. (20%)

TE (3)
Miami is more than happy with their current crop of tight end commits and all three are extremely solid. No worries with their level of commitment

Travis Johnson (commit) (100%)
Standish Dobard (commit) (100%)
Jeremy Kerr (commit) (100%)

OL (2-3)
This has been a position of concern for some people. With Gall committed, Kirkland is now the primary focus. An under-the-radar kid could emerge as as well.

Alex Gall (commit) (100%)

Denver Kirkland: Looks like a Miami-FSU battle. Canes had a big lead until recently, where FSU has made a push. (55%)

Jomel Ribalta: A kid who made a lot of noise in the camp scene, he doesn’t hold offers from too many big time programs, but he is a mauler. He needs to lose some bad weight, but he could be an option if things don’t work out with Kirkland. (5%)

Sandley Jean-Felix: The Boyd Anderson tackle is another under-the-radar kid. He has worlds of potential, but is extremely raw. Sat out last season due to grades issues so that could be a problem, but from a talent standpoint, has a chance to be special. Would have had a much better chance at an offer in last year’s class, where offers weren’t limited. (5%)

DT (2-3)
This could be a special DT class for Miami. With Bryant already in the fold and Bain a heavy lean, Bostwick could be the finishing touch at the position.

Keith Bryant (commit): Bryant has been a longtime commit, but continues to take visits. He is as solid as anybody committed, there are no worries with him. (100%)

Maquedius Bain: The recent FSU de-commitment has had the Canes out in front for a while. The coaching staff made him a top priority and they love his potential. (80%)

Jaynard Bostwick: The Port St. Lucie DT grew up a ‘Canes fan and the staff has been all over him. UF has made a move recently, but Miami is still out in front. (60%)

Deadrin Senat: The former FSU commit likes Miami a lot, but has not been offered. He could be a realistic option if they can’t land Bostwick or Bain. (10%)

DE (1)
There aren’t too many names out there that Miami is targeting other than these two. Williams has become a major priority, they are on him hard.

Tim Williams: FSU/Miami battle at the moment, with the Noles leading because of a good camp visit last week as well as the fact that Williams wants to be close to home (he has a baby). He will be visiting on August 12th, which could significantly bolster Miami’s chances. Watch out for LSU if they make a run. (45%)

Jordan Sherit: Loved Miami, but the staff lost contact him for a period of time. UF is his leader right now, and there are rumors that he could be committing at their Friday Night Lights camp. (15%)

LB (2)
These are two names that Miami fans are familiar with. Will be a small, but special class at the position if both wind up as Canes.

Matthew Thomas: The Booker T stud is the best defensive player in South Florida. He is a special talent who Miami can’t let get away. The ‘Noles are in the lead with Alabama and Miami near the top as well. The Canes have ground to make up, but I still see him landing here. (45%)

Jermaine Grace: Heavy Miami lean right now. Already loved the Canes before two of his best friends, Tracy Howard and Malcolm Lewis, committed. (85%)

CB (1)
After loading up at corner in last year’s class, it isn’t a huge need, but it would be nice to land one elite player at the position (Artie Burns may be that).

Vernon Hargreaves III: The top corner in the nation, VH3 had Miami in his top 5 until the recent allegations. Latest chatter is that he could be pulling the trigger for UF soon. (15%)

Mackensie Alexander: Elite player, who was committed to Tennessee early on. Wants to play with his brother, Mackenro, but Miami is not and most likely will not pursue him. Anything can happen, but it doesn’t look good for the Canes. (15%)

Rashard Robinson: Offered by Miami at the last camp. Big, physical corner who can run. LSU seems to be the favorite, they are after him hard. (15%)

Sojourn Shelton: De-committed from FSU last night, but very unlikely he is even offered by Miami. Looking at UCF as a possible destination. (5%)

Will Likely: One of my favorite players in the class, Likely doesn’t have the measurables and that is why Miami will most likely pass him up. The Canes aren’t the only big school that has not offered, though. (10%)

S (2-3)
Safety is the biggest position of need on the team in my opinion. Telemaque is gone after this year, and Rodgers and Highsmith are done after next year. That leaves a litany of tweeners (safety/corner) to battle it out. Ray Lewis III might also be an option.

Artie Burns: Committed this week. Elite talent that can play either safety or corner. I have him as a safety until Miami lands 2 more at the position, then I would use him as a big corner. (100%)

Jamal Carter: Will announce his decision on Thursday at 3 o’clock. Hearing very positive things for Miami. Grades are a possible issue. (95%)

Mike Parker: Recently showed up on the radar and has shown a lot of interest. Grades are a concern. West Virginia is a possible landing spot, but Miami is in it. (35%)

Marcell Harris: The UF legacy could be committing to the Gators soon. (0%)

Leroy Clark: Another kid who could possibly receive a late offer if something falls through with one of the other prospects at safety. He is a ball hawk. (5%)

ATH
Ray Lewis III (commit): Primarily a running back in high school, Lewis III may also be used as a safety at Miami. I like him more at running back. He’s not going anywhere, check his name. (100%)

Jayron Kearse: Former Miami commit looks SEC bound (Clemson or Auburn), but he has not ruled out the Canes. Will be visiting on August 12th. I had been told for months that he wasn’t coming here, so it doesn’t look likely. (15%)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Keith Bryant (commit): Bryant has been a longtime commit, but continues to take visits. He is as solid as anybody committed, there are no worries with him. (100%)

This is what I'm talkin' about. Will be watching his progression closely.

Great stuff.

Advertisement
Don't we want this to become a sticky??

It will eventually become the new recruiting database with complete profiles and everything. We are revamping the current, incomplete setup to something much better.

D$ and Pete, if Cunningham and Whitfield both go elsewhere are there any under the radar type prospects you guys are high on?

Advertisement
Still driving the Coley bus. Wish both that he would clean up his issues, and the staff be more flexible in evaluating this kid. He's a special talent. Cunningham is not.

Great post Peter A., as usual.....

The Canesinsight Big Board is a new feature, which we will update every couple of weeks. A new update could include new percentages, new tidbits, and even new names. These are the prospects who have committed to Miami, Miami is actively recruiting, or could be recruited by Miami in the future.

0-10 Extremely Low Chance
15-25 Low Chance
30-40 Decent Chance
45-60 Good Chance
65-75 Great Chance
80-95 Virtual Lock
100 Lock

In parentheses is the expected number that Miami will take at that position.

QB (1)
Olsen will be the only QB in the class. He will be the 4th QB to sign in 2 years.

Kevin Olsen (commit): 100%

RB (1-2)
Miami needs depth in the backfield, especially if 2012 signee Danny Dillard can’t qualify. Ray Lewis III could play here.

Alex Collins (commit): Collins committed to Miami early in the process, but there has been a lot of chatter about FSU recently. The ‘Noles have not decided whether or not they want another RB in this class. Wisconsin is still in the picture. (65%)

AJ Turman: The big running back is currently visiting schools and Miami will be one of his upcoming destinations. Look for the staff to make him more of a priority as the Collins situation plays out, even if he stays committed. (30%)

WR (1-2)
It was a big class for receivers last year, but the staff is possibly looking to add another to go along with AJL, who had to go prep.

Angelo Jean-Louis (commit): The 2012 signee will be here in January; he’s at Fork Union Military Academy for the season. His commitment has always been strong and the coaches love him. (100%)

Stacy Coley: Incredible talent, but there has been some talk about the Miami staff not being crazy about him. Off-field issues may be the concern. He likes Miami, but most likely ends up elsewhere. Things could change, but reports aren’t positive right now. (15%)

Jordan Cunningham: Solid player who is an excellent student. Canes are near the top with Stanford. Not sure if the offer is committable at this moment. (60%)

Levonte Whitfield: The former Miami commit has fallen off the table recently. FSU leads at the moment and he has not been in constant communication with the Miami staff. (20%)

TE (3)
Miami is more than happy with their current crop of tight end commits and all three are extremely solid. No worries with their level of commitment

Travis Johnson (commit) (100%)
Standish Dobard (commit) (100%)
Jeremy Kerr (commit) (100%)

OL (2-3)
This has been a position of concern for some people. With Gall committed, Kirkland is now the primary focus. An under-the-radar kid could emerge as as well.

Alex Gall (commit) (100%)

Denver Kirkland: Looks like a Miami-FSU battle. Canes had a big lead until recently, where FSU has made a push. (55%)

Jomel Ribalta: A kid who made a lot of noise in the camp scene, he doesn’t hold offers from too many big time programs, but he is a mauler. He needs to lose some bad weight, but he could be an option if things don’t work out with Kirkland. (5%)

Sandley Jean-Felix: The Boyd Anderson tackle is another under-the-radar kid. He has worlds of potential, but is extremely raw. Sat out last season due to grades issues so that could be a problem, but from a talent standpoint, has a chance to be special. Would have had a much better chance at an offer in last year’s class, where offers weren’t limited. (5%)

DT (2-3)
This could be a special DT class for Miami. With Bryant already in the fold and Bain a heavy lean, Bostwick could be the finishing touch at the position.

Maquedius Bain: The recent FSU de-commitment has had the Canes out in front for a while. The coaching staff made him a top priority and they love his potential. (80%)

Jaynard Bostwick: The Port St. Lucie DT grew up a ‘Canes fan and the staff has been all over him. UF has made a move recently, but Miami is still out in front. (60%)

Deadrin Senat: The former FSU commit likes Miami a lot, but has not been offered. He could be a realistic option if they can’t land Bostwick or Bain. (10%)

DE (1)
There aren’t too many names out there that Miami is targeting other than these two. Williams has become a major priority, they are on him hard.

Tim Williams: FSU/Miami battle at the moment, with the Noles leading because of a good camp visit last week as well as the fact that Williams wants to be close to home (he has a baby). He will be visiting on August 12th, which could significantly bolster Miami’s chances. Watch out for LSU if they make a run. (45%)

Jordan Sherit: Loved Miami, but the staff lost contact him for a period of time. UF is his leader right now, and there are rumors that he could be committing at their Friday Night Lights camp. (15%)

LB (2)
These are two names that Miami fans are familiar with. Will be a small, but special class at the position if both wind up as Canes.

Matthew Thomas: The Booker T stud is the best defensive player in South Florida. He is a special talent who Miami can’t let get away. The ‘Noles are in the lead with Alabama and Miami near the top as well. The Canes have ground to make up, but I still see him landing here. (45%)

Jermaine Grace: Heavy Miami lean right now. Already loved the Canes before two of his best friends, Tracy Howard and Malcolm Lewis, committed. (85%)

CB (1)
After loading up at corner in last year’s class, it isn’t a huge need, but it would be nice to land one elite player at the position (Artie Burns may be that).

Vernon Hargreaves III: The top corner in the nation, VH3 had Miami in his top 5 until the recent allegations. Latest chatter is that he could be pulling the trigger for UF soon. (15%)

Mackensie Alexander: Elite player, who was committed to Tennessee early on. Wants to play with his brother, Mackenro, but Miami is not and most likely will not pursue him. Anything can happen, but it doesn’t look good for the Canes. (15%)

Rashard Robinson: Offered by Miami at the last camp. Big, physical corner who can run. LSU seems to be the favorite, they are after him hard. (15%)

Sojourn Shelton: De-committed from FSU last night, but very unlikely he is even offered by Miami. Looking at UCF as a possible destination. (5%)

Will Likely: One of my favorite players in the class, Likely doesn’t have the measurables and that is why Miami will most likely pass him up. The Canes aren’t the only big school that has not offered, though. (10%)

S (2-3)
Safety is the biggest position of need on the team in my opinion. Telemaque is gone after this year, and Rodgers and Highsmith are done after next year. That leaves a litany of tweeners (safety/corner) to battle it out. Ray Lewis III might also be an option.

Artie Burns: Committed this week. Elite talent that can play either safety or corner. I have him as a safety until Miami lands 2 more at the position, then I would use him as a big corner. (100%)

Jamal Carter: Will announce his decision on Thursday at 3 o’clock. Hearing very positive things for Miami. Grades are a possible issue. (95%)

Mike Parker: Recently showed up on the radar and has shown a lot of interest. Grades are a concern. West Virginia is a possible landing spot, but Miami is in it. (35%)

Marcell Harris: The UF legacy could be committing to the Gators soon. (0%)

Leroy Clark: Another kid who could possibly receive a late offer if something falls through with one of the other prospects at safety. He is a ball hawk. (5%)

ATH
Ray Lewis III (commit): Primarily a running back in high school, Lewis III may also be used as a safety at Miami. I like him more at running back. He’s not going anywhere, check his name. (100%)

Jayron Kearse: Former Miami commit looks SEC bound (Clemson or Auburn), but he has not ruled out the Canes. Will be visiting on August 12th. I had been told for months that he wasn’t coming here, so it doesn’t look likely. (15%)
This board gets better and better . Thanks Peter.

Advertisement
Nice, really like that new feature. 1 question though: what happens if we don't land Kirkland on the OL? Seems like we don't have many other options for a huge position of need... Hope to god we land these Booker T boys (Kirkland and Thomas), that would be huuuuuuuuge.

Don't we want this to become a sticky??

It will eventually become the new recruiting database with complete profiles and everything. We are revamping the current, incomplete setup to something much better.

dwight yeah.jpg

For me, success in recruiting is not only landing the kids you should, but landing those who might be leaning elsewhere. What I'm getting at, for me this year we'd have to bring in the following to consider it successful: Kirklan, Bain, Bostwick, 1 DE, Thomas and 1 of Alexander or Hargraves. I'd put Coley in this list, but he's a special situation and his comitting to UM is in his own control; if he had his ish together I'd think he'd be committed by now.

I want us to get back to balanced classes and end this thing we've been doing for a while of skipping or just missing at positions in past years.

Advertisement
Good stuff. Any potential EEs? Is Likely only a measurables issue or is there something else there too?

For me, success in recruiting is not only landing the kids you should, but landing those who might be leaning elsewhere. What I'm getting at, for me this year we'd have to bring in the following to consider it successful: Kirklan, Bain, Bostwick, 1 DE, Thomas and 1 of Alexander or Hargraves. I'd put Coley in this list, but he's a special situation and his comitting to UM is in his own control; if he had his ish together I'd think he'd be committed by now.

I want us to get back to balanced classes and end this thing we've been doing for a while of skipping or just missing at positions in past years.

I don't think your expectations could be higher

I don't think your expectations could be higher

Me either.

That's the way it should be.

Advertisement
Back