Canes vs. UCF

Advertisement
It is far more likely we finish about 15-17 games under .500 than to make any kind of post season. I know Dimare is the coach in waiting, but this has to even have his most ardent supporters giving pause.

I knew it was bad. I didn't know it was this bad.

It's as saddening as it is maddening. Other than a few of us on this site, where are the rumblings and disgust w this product on the field? And that's not a knock on the players effort, etc. it's just the reality and needs to be aired. It's as if nobody gives a ****, and we were the brand name in college baseball for nearly 40 years.

Everyone seems to be content that football and basketball are competitive, but we have a much better opportunity to be dominant again in baseball with the right program and leadership, as it is still the most level playing field (or biased in our favor) of the NCAA sports in my opinion. I know many will take exception w that last comment given the private school/scholarship issue, but the baseball talent is there to be had in S Fl.

Since it's still a matter of discussion, here is the RPI Needs Report:
http://boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpineeds.html

Just to get into the range we finished last year we'd need to go somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-4 on the road and 11-2 at home or one of the other combos in that vicinity listed on the chart. Which I suppose says that if we get into the ballpark of the number of wins we'd need then our RPI would be decent enough, but I think we've all seen enough of this team to say that isn't happening.

The one in a million upside for this season is we get into the NCAAT as a 3 seed , bus it to Gainesville, strike out 30 times in two games, and drive back home.

<BartScottcan'twait.gif>

Advertisement
Like I said, there is very little RPI help left on the schedule. The temporary boost from adding Clemson and Florida State to the formula will quickly be evaporated by Pitt, VT, Bethune, FIU, and BC (.454 combined).

The big part that is being left out are the multipliers. You get a big boost from road wins in the RPI, so you won't lose ground against the bad teams because you play those six against elite teams. Up to 69 after tonight. UCLA was at 65 last year and got in, so it's not all hope lost if they do get hot.

They have to win one of the series against Clemson or FSU, for sure. But getting to 29-25 gets them to around ~.5600 RPI. The last four teams in last year were Auburn (35-24 & .5579), Texas A & M (36-21 & .5623), UCLA (30-25 & .5415), Michigan (42-15 & .5544).

It's more fun to me to believe than not believe. It's a long shot, but that's how they get there.

Note: They would also need to go something like 2-1 in the conference tourney, which would make their final record as 31-26.

UCLA got in at #51, and more importantly, they finished in 3rd place in the PAC-12. Teams that finished #31, #38, and #39 didn’t get in because of where they finished in their conference and their overall mediocre records. Miami was one of those. It’s not just about reaching a certain RPI. If it was, the streak would be alive right now because we had a better RPI than six at large teams. There isn’t anything on our resume that is impressive. #45 and finishing in the middle of the conference isn’t going to get it done.

UCLA got in at #51, and more importantly, they finished in 3rd place in the PAC-12. Teams that finished #31, #38, and #39 didn’t get in because of where they finished in their conference and their overall mediocre records. Miami was one of those. It’s not just about reaching a certain RPI. If it was, the streak would be alive right now because we had a better RPI than six at large teams. There isn’t anything on our resume that is impressive. #45 and finishing in the middle of the conference isn’t going to get it done.

For a smart guy, you sure do go into every single discussion with your mind made up. You've literally already admitted you don't know the RPI.

It's as saddening as it is maddening. Other than a few of us on this site, where are the rumblings and disgust w this product on the field? And that's not a knock on the players effort, etc. it's just the reality and needs to be aired. It's as if nobody gives a ****, and we were the brand name in college baseball for nearly 40 years.

Everyone seems to be content that football and basketball are competitive, but we have a much better opportunity to be dominant again in baseball with the right program and leadership, as it is still the most level playing field (or biased in our favor) of the NCAA sports in my opinion. I know many will take exception w that last comment given the private school/scholarship issue, but the baseball talent is there to be had in S Fl.
Actually, the playing field is not level in baseball. In baseball you have only 11.7 scholarships to be divided by at most 27 players and each scholarship player must receive at least 1/4 of a scholarship. This is a huge disadvantage to private schools since the cost of attendance is so much higher. This means a player has to decide whether to go Miami and leave with $100,000+ of dept or go to a state school and have $20,000 of dept.

This is the same decision every student has to make regarding the value of a private education, but it may be prohibitive to some players we would have gotten otherwise.

Advertisement
For a smart guy, you sure do go into every single discussion with your mind made up. You've literally already admitted you don't know the RPI.

I don’t know the RPI? I will run circles around you on RPI. Show me where I was incorrect in that post:

UCLA got in because of conference finish
Miami and others DIDN’T get in with better RPIs because of conference or overall record
Miami’s RPI of 39 wasn’t good enough last year and nothing in the resume indicates that it would be good enough this year.

PLEASE respond and tell me where I’ve been wrong on RPI. PLEASE. This is one topic where I will make you run and hide.

The first clue is that you misstated UCLA’s RPI while ignoring that RPI isn’t why they got in. You were 0-for-2 on UCLA alone.

Oh, please respond.

Actually, the playing field is not level in baseball. In baseball you have only 11.7 scholarships to be divided by at most 27 players and each scholarship player must receive at least 1/4 of a scholarship. This is a huge disadvantage to private schools since the cost of attendance is so much higher. This means a player has to decide whether to go Miami and leave with $100,000+ of dept or go to a state school and have $20,000 of dept.

This is the same decision every student has to make regarding the value of a private education, but it may be prohibitive to some players we would have gotten otherwise.

I was referring more to qualitative factors than quantitative. I get the scholarship disadvantage for private schools, but there are lots of things available to mitigate the costs, e.g. scholarships, endowments, student loans, live at home, etc.

When you look at the talent pool available in S Fl, our tradition, the number of former players in MLB, climate ... I still maintain we have built-in advantages not possessed by others. And I don't see the $EC football bias going away anytime soon, and the blue bloods will continue to dominate college basketball for the same reasons that I believe give us an advantage in baseball.

That said, I'd love to see the scholarship issue resolved in baseball and we should be even better if we keep the expectations high.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back