Canes vs. UCF

Lance Roffers

Junior
Chris McMahon making his first career start at UM. Looked sharp early on, but seems to be laboring a bit in the 4th.

0-0 top-4 with two on one out. To be clear, I'd get him here and put him Federman, as McMahon is just now building arm strength back and with Miami's hitting woes they cannot afford to try and dig out of a hole.

Advertisement
Runner thrown out at the plate. Lucky to escape that inning without any runs scored.

Going Bot 4 with no score. This is a very big game to Miami right now.

Strong 4th inning.

Tackett - strike out swinging
Burns - strike out looking
Gonzalez - strike out looking

Bot 5 McMahon retires the first two, but walks the 9-hitter. Then a ringing single to the leadoff hitter. Went 2-0 on the next hitter and they pulled him and Hammond is on.

I'm a little surprised they didn't have anyone warming up after the 4th inning, which made them have to stall and get Hammond warm after the count had already started on the hitter.

Big spot with two on, two outs and a 2-0 count to their 2-hole hitter.

Coop walks the guy but gets out of it on a groundout. Coach Morris was upset with Gil for the way he played the ball when he had a safer out at the bag, but the play was made.

Advertisement
No score through 5.

I know this isn't breaking news, but the Canes have truly struggled hitting this year in mid-week games (even moreso than on the weekends, which is unusual).

Some info on the guy who has a no-hitter with 7 strikeouts through five. This is just his second start, and his longest outing of the year has been 3.1 innings.

UCF gets a leadoff single, moved to 2B on a ground out, stole 3B, then scores on a sac fly.

Miami is in trouble as through 5 innings they've only passed 1B one time.

1-0 UCF.

Advertisement
Have I mentioned it's frustrating being the staff writer for baseball this year? I just wrote Miami is in trouble and they're at home down by one run with 12 outs to go.

Error gets a guy to 3B with on out but the runner on 1B tried to do way too much and was in a run down, which led to the runner on 3B getting out at plate.

This team...

Advertisement
Don't worry Lance. We're heading in the right direction!

All of these freshmen mistakes will get coached out of the guys by next year. (even though we have seen the same mistakes year after year after year after year after year)

4-0 UCF.

I've run the numbers, with another loss tonight, it'll take a miracle to get into the tournament at this point.

The mistakes are too numerous at this point.

Advertisement
Can't make that up. Bases loaded, no outs, bottom of the 9th......

Strike out
Strike out
Strike out

14 strikeouts tonight.

14 strikeouts and not 1 player even seems to be upset. Where is the fire? Where is the competitiveness? Where is the emotion?

That aspect of the game is sorely lacking in this program.

Advertisement
Back