Canes vs. UCF

The team takes the identity of its coach. Morris has been mailing it in this past decade and these past two years it finally caught up. These games are glorified scrimmages, just to have that “farewell season,” logo painted behind home plate.

Advertisement
Some info on the guy who has a no-hitter with 7 strikeouts through five. This is just his second start, and his longest outing of the year has been 3.1 innings.

This has happened a number of times this year. We are making mediocre college pitchers looking like stars. I'm not sure I've ever given up on a UM season before, in baseball or any other sport. Even during ****** football and basketball seasons, I've watched games with hope in my heart. I don't feel that way this baseball season and it's sad.

Blake James should be ashamed of himself!!

He basically signed the death warrant to this program when he offered Morris his unnecessary extension back in 2014.

Blake James should be ashamed of himself!!

He basically signed the death warrant to this program when he offered Morris his unnecessary extension back in 2014.

That's not the big problem. Formerly successful coaches who get old and remain employed beyond their expiration date as the game passes them by is nothing new in college sports. Programs can quickly recover from that.

Naming as the coach in waiting an obviously unqualified assistant with zero head coaching experience and a dad that bankrolls the athletics department is an exponentially bigger problem. As bad as Coker, Shannon and Golden were, at least they could be fired. I don't see how DiMare can be fired. Our only hope is that for the good of the program he walks away.

Advertisement
I've run the numbers, with another loss tonight, it'll take a miracle to get into the tournament at this point.

The only plausible scenario is winning the ACC Tournament. There is very little RPI help left on the schedule, so an at-large bid is probably off the table. Of course, any of this would require us to win games, which we haven't shown we can do.

Seventh best team in the state. Not nation, but in the state. We suck!

I wish. Going by current RPI, we are 9th:

1. Florida
11. Florida State
13. Florida Atlantic
27. Stetson
35. Florida Gulf Coast
37. Jacksonville
52. South Florida
53. Central Florida
83. Miami (FL)

The good news is that North Florida is probably too far back at #130 to be able to pass us. Bethune Cookman is at #144, so that series now has some importance. We can't talk trash to #162 FIU, so that leaves FAMU as our *****! Suck it, Rattlers!!

Sounds like the hitting coach is more of a problem than Morris. Good thing he'll be gone when the new staff comes in....................................................................................................

Advertisement
That's not the big problem. Formerly successful coaches who get old and remain employed beyond their expiration date as the game passes them by is nothing new in college sports. Programs can quickly recover from that.

Naming as the coach in waiting an obviously unqualified assistant with zero head coaching experience and a dad that bankrolls the athletics department is an exponentially bigger problem. As bad as Coker, Shannon and Golden were, at least they could be fired. I don't see how DiMare can be fired. Our only hope is that for the good of the program he walks away.

this

Would you walk away from a job you're underqualified for and getting overpaid for?

Would you walk away from a job you're underqualified for and getting overpaid for?

If my job was basically a hobby because I don't need the money, plus I have a close personal connection with the employer and don't want to see them fail...maybe I would walk away. By the way, his dad will essentially be paying his salary.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What do you think is more embarrassing as a Virginia fan: Being the first 1-seed to lose to a 16-seed or getting swept by this Miami baseball team?

What does the recruiting class look like for next year? How many quality guys will make it onto campus?

Advertisement
What does the recruiting class look like for next year? How many quality guys will make it onto campus?

I'm planning an article for a little later on. Closer to the draft itself, but it's a great recruiting class that'll quickly become a pretty good recruiting class when the draft attrition is over.

The only plausible scenario is winning the ACC Tournament. There is very little RPI help left on the schedule, so an at-large bid is probably off the table. Of course, any of this would require us to win games, which we haven't shown we can do.

We can absolutely criticize the program this year- they've earned that- but it's a bit disingenuous to say that we have very little RPI help left on the schedule. Miami plays at #6 Clemson this weekend. A sweep there alone would push Miami into the upper-50's of the RPI. I built an RPI-calculator for covering the team, and since they've struggled so much it has served little purpose, but without predicting what the opponents of all of our opponents would do this weekend, it would put our RPI in the .5520 range, which would sit around 58.

Then Miami plays at #11 Florida State. Another sweep there gets you into the upper-30's. .5670 or so.

They finish with 8 games in the top-50 and 6 in the top-12. They'll face a pretty bad Bethune team and that'll hurt, but Miami absolutely has the chances to get a shot. They have done absolutely nothing to make any of us believe they will- which is why I said they needed that UCF win to have any conceivable chance to make the tourney, but they have chances. Just like they've had all year when they've played the number one schedule in America.

The thing with playing good competition is that you have to actually win some of them as well.

All we need to do is sweep Clemson and FSU and we're back on the playoff bubble. That's comforting.

We can absolutely criticize the program this year- they've earned that- but it's a bit disingenuous to say that we have very little RPI help left on the schedule. Miami plays at #6 Clemson this weekend. A sweep there alone would push Miami into the upper-50's of the RPI. I built an RPI-calculator for covering the team, and since they've struggled so much it has served little purpose, but without predicting what the opponents of all of our opponents would do this weekend, it would put our RPI in the .5520 range, which would sit around 58.

I get that not everyone has put in the time to understand the RPI, so I'll excuse the "disingenuous" comment as just lack of preparation.

"RPI help" refers to the numbers that our future opponents are going to add to our resume. It has nothing to do with whether or not Miami wins any games. Teams that win games don't need RPI help. That's why it's referred to as "help". The most heavily weighted aspect of the RPI is OWP. Our current OWP sits at ~.635. Our future opponents are currently 404-300 (.574). So, by default, with or without any Miami wins, the part of the RPI that counts for 50% of the total score is going to go down.

Like I said, there is very little RPI help left on the schedule. The temporary boost from adding Clemson and Florida State to the formula will quickly be evaporated by Pitt, VT, Bethune, FIU, and BC (.454 combined).

Advertisement
Back