Canes vs. Safety school for Georgia Tech (VPI)

Disappointing loss. Outlaw having a career night for them (8-10 from three) combined with our falling in love with the three (and it not loving us back at 7-21) and Netwon with 4 turnovers and a couple of key late ones did us in. Would have liked to have that win just for ACC tournament seeding purposes as it would have kept us a game ahead of that middle pack. On to the Noles...

Advertisement
Disappointing loss. Outlaw having a career night for them (8-10 from three) combined with our falling in love with the three (and it not loving us back at 7-21) and Netwon with 4 turnovers and a couple of key late ones did us in. Would have liked to have that win just for ACC tournament seeding purposes as it would have kept us a game ahead of that middle pack. On to the Noles...

I am so glad you posted this. Newton did not have a good game, but the piling on and the 'he' is the only reason that they lost mentality is ridiculous. Here is why they lost:

-Outlaw had the game of his career...24 pts from 3...you would think after the first three or four something would've been changed up.

-Izundu, Huell, and Newton were all no shows.

-Davon and Brown both had off games.

-Falling in love with the 3 instead of pounding it inside.

-Worst officiated game I have seen all year...for both sides.

-Inability to make lay ups, foul shots, or finish fast breaks.

All of that and they were still in the game with 10 seconds left.

I am so glad you posted this. Newton did not have a good game, but the piling on and the 'he' is the only reason that they lost mentality is ridiculous. Here is why they lost:

-Outlaw had the game of his career...24 pts from 3...you would think after the first three or four something would've been changed up.

Stop defending the guy. The loss is not solely blamed on him. The biggest issue on this team right now and it's apparent to everyone, even '85 now, is Newton. He's obviously talented and could be an asset for this team. The issue is that he has no self awareness and no matter how bad he is playing, he will continue to force things and play selfishly. We get people have bad games. But if you are having a bad game then you have to understand to play within yourself and help your team as much as you can. He doesn't do this. He just presses more and more and keeps playing one on one ball.

Stop defending the guy. The loss is not solely blamed on him. The biggest issue on this team right now and it's apparent to everyone, even '85 now, is Newton. He's obviously talented and could be an asset for this team. The issue is that he has no self awareness and no matter how bad he is playing, he will continue to force things and play selfishly. We get people have bad games. But if you are having a bad game then you have to understand to play within yourself and help your team as much as you can. He doesn't do this. He just presses more and more and keeps playing one on one ball.

I was thinking he must have learned from his 3 game suspension, when he committed that offensive foul at the end of the first half ... charging head-on into a stationary defender during a 2 on 1, when he could have passed the ball to his team mate under the basket ... I understood what this board was worrying about

He just has no presence of mind on the court. Commits one TO after another with the most simplest plays.. arrggh!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
RPI went from 35 to 37. Last night meant nothing in that regard.

Forget about the stats above and our seeding, that game meant something internally.

A selfish player hasn't learned anything and essentially hurt us in a winnable game last night. He isn't going to change.

As much as you have to love L, I do not understand how he thought JN could be a serviceable starting point guard this year. He has the basketball IQ of a cumquat.

Umm....he literally had no choice at the beginning of the year.

I've been hesitant to jump on the Newton hate bandwagon, but this game seals it for me. Way too many wasted possessions where he has a dumb turnover or fails to see the wide open man and takes a contested shot instead. I counted at least 5 wasted possessions by him, come tourney time that can mean the difference from advancing or season ending. Keep him on the bench and limit his minutes, enough.

No hate here, just stating facts. Uber talented kid without necessary self control....a true liability on the court in crucial situations.

I get we absolutely need the guy to get minutes due to lack of depth, but Coach L should never have him on the court this much. I would rather have an exhausted DJ in the game when it gets down to crunch time.

UM

Now, with all of that said, and I'm still pi$$ed Newton, and I blame him for a lot, he's not the only one I'm going to dog. Huell needs to learn how to play college basketball without fouling. Man, it's frustrating. Last night there were some ticky tack fouls (a lot), but Huell was God awful last night. He hasn't really progressed this season at all. He needs to give us something in the ACCT and NCAAT. LaPhonso Ellis was begging us to attack the middle of the paint/floor and when we did, it was open. Now, of the 21 threes, only a couple were actually bad shots, and a couple were "hero" shots. Reed and Amp took 3-4 of those right after Outlaw hit a 3, and they tried to answer. Amp made 1 or 2, but missed some and Reed missed 1. Brown took a bad 3 too IIRC. We've been out of sorts offensively the last 3 games. Need to get it fixed. I know we're not a great offensive team, but we're better than this.

Now, Newton. We're going to need something out of him to go far in March. I know it's simple to say bench him, but, team chemistry for starters, and second, we're going nowhere with 7 players.

Last edited:

Please tell me where I defended him. I clearly stated that he did not have a good game. I was pointing out that blaming him for everything that went wrong last night is misguided. He alone was not the reason for the loss...but reading through the thread one would think that he handed them the ball for the game winning shot.

Tell me where I was wrong in any of the 6 points that I made for the loss. Eliminate any one of them and the Canes take that game.

I'll wait...

Last edited:
Advertisement

I was thinking he must have learned from his 3 game suspension, when he committed that offensive foul at the end of the first half ... charging head-on into a stationary defender during a 2 on 1, when he could have passed the ball to his team mate under the basket ... I understood what this board was worrying about

He just has no presence of mind on the court. Commits one TO after another with the most simplest plays.. arrggh!!

That charge play has been brought up about 20 times now. It was a 50/50 call. VT player was not moving but slid into position after ball came off the floor and JN was in shooting motion. L went nuts saying the same thing. Should he have dumped it to Brown...??? He was taking the ball hard to the basket which they should have been doing since the tip.

Please tell me where I defended him. I clearly stated that he did not have a good game. I was pointing out that blaming him for everything that went wrong last night is misguided. He alone was not the reason for the loss...but reading through the thread one would think that he handed them the ball for the game winning shot.

Tell me where I was wrong in any of the 6 points that I made for the loss. Eliminate any one of them and the Canes take that game.

I'll wait...

You defended him by complaining that everyone is piling on him. You mentioned piling on and "he's" the only reason we lost is ridiculous. That means you think piling on him is ridiculous which is where you were wrong. The piling on him is well deserved. And yes Davon and Brown had off games, but they will have bad games. The difference is both these players rebound, play defense, and do everything else they can to contribute. Newton doesn't. We need him to play for depth purposes but he can't be in the game in the last five minutes anymore unless he's playing well throughout the entire game. It limits us but this still give us a chance to win a few games in the tourney. If Newton keeps playing this way and he's in the last five minutes, we aren't winning any tourney games.

That charge play has been brought up about 20 times now. It was a 50/50 call. VT player was not moving but slid into position after ball came off the floor and JN was in shooting motion. L went nuts saying the same thing. Should he have dumped it to Brown...??? He was taking the ball hard to the basket which they should have been doing since the tip.

You are missing the point. It doesn't matter if it's a 50/50 call, it's a horrendous basketball play. He had Brown for a wide open lay up. Why take any chance when you have a 99% chance of your teammate get any easy lay up. And there is a big difference between taking the ball hard to the basket and being completely out of control and forcing a shot.

Newton did not play well last night but he is still a Cane and I support him. Hopefully, Coach L can straighten him out but running out of time to do so.

Advertisement
RPI went from 35 to 37. Last night meant nothing in that regard.

Forget about the stats above and our seeding, that game meant something internally.

A selfish player hasn't learned anything and essentially hurt us in a winnable game last night. He isn't going to change.

As much as you have to love L, I do not understand how he thought JN could be a serviceable starting point guard this year. He has the basketball IQ of a cumquat.

Umm....he literally had no choice at the beginning of the year.

At the beginning of the year, sure (although I can't believe there wasn't a single graduate transfer point guard anywhere that they could have brought in). By the time OOC play ended, it was clear the JN point guard experiment was a fail. Brown had proven himself to be better (obviously not ideal, but better) running the point.

Advertisement
Win some. Lose some.

I have a feeling we beat hand FSU their first home court loss to close out the season.

Piling on an amateur college kid is never the thing to do.

I agree. But this isn't a situation where Newton isn't good enough. Newton has the ability to be a very good basketball player for this team. I'm personally beyond frustrated because if he just simply played within himself, he would be much more effective and an important asset to this team. He still has the post season and another year here so the hope is that he learns how to be more effective.

Advertisement
Back