Canes vs Duke

Wong tries too hard to let the game come to him. That mindset combined with his new found desire to be a playmaker and you get a guy who doesn't understand his role for this team. In big games Wong must come out swinging and set the tone for himself and the others.

The officiating was particularly bad. I normally don't even mention it but it is ******* annoying to witness bad officiating and have to listen to the commentators cosigning the bad officiating all game long. I hated both of them.

Duke has some serious height for sure though and we still could've won in Cameron when they needed to beat us desperately. If not for some bad plays and misses down the stretch we would've won.

Theres another level of mental toughness we need to reach in order to get over the hump in monster games if we want to advance to the Final 4 this year.

Glad to see Pack starting to round into form. JIT.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Today might've been our best day all season shooting the 3 ball. 10 for 21 (48%).

Our bench again provided little. A combined 3-15. Joseph's confounding shooting slump continues.
If you’re looking for Bensley to be a shooter, you’re looking in the wrong places. 1/2 his shots when takes’em ‘seem’ hesitant to me. He hit the front of the iron on a pull up 4 footer yesterday, and if memory serves correct his next one wasn’t even close.

I look to Bensley for no quit D and nothing else.

Duke was desperate, and even with Refball, Miami with Wong hitting season averages, wins by multiple possessions.
Canedude, I like that you’re a rare consistent and mostly level headed poster to the Bball board. And unlike me you’re able to avoid bashing kids who give it their all despite the fact us grown *** men seem to care way too much about something pretty insignificant like who wins a game of entertainment. Factoid, god doesn’t care who wins a sporting event.

Where you consistently lose me is how many dang posts you make whining about Refs, it’s nauseating. Miami didn’t lose this game because of refs, they lost because Duke can rebound better, Duke hit open 3s, their star player wasn’t a no show for 35 minutes and they didn’t turnover the last possession out of a timeout. + I didn’t count but Miami missed what turned out to be a few important FTs.

Yeah that’s why the Canes lost and not the refs or tobacco road mafia or too tight of a rim etc

Canedude, I like that you’re a rare consistent and mostly level headed poster to the Bball board. And unlike me you’re able to avoid bashing kids who give it their all despite the fact us grown *** men seem to care way too much about something pretty insignificant like who wins a game of entertainment. Factoid, god doesn’t care who wins a sporting event.

Where you consistently lose me is how many dang posts you make whining about Refs, it’s nauseating. Miami didn’t lose this game because of refs, they lost because Duke can rebound better, Duke hit open 3s, their star player wasn’t a no show for 35 minutes and they didn’t turnover the last possession out of a timeout. + I didn’t count but Miami missed what turned out to be a few important FTs.

Yeah that’s why the Canes lost and not the refs or tobacco road mafia or too tight of a rim etc

Well, I'm not complaining about the refs for my health, it's becoming more and more obvious that the way SOME of these games are being called is a bit off. There's a reason why L has made comments on it, it's obvious to any person that watches basketball on a regular basis. It's especially evident in regards to Omier. Yes, he commits some stupid fouls, but he also gets saddled with some of the most iffy fouls ever. It's like watching Tonye Jekiri again, there's guys that foul and there's guys that get that reputation and then the reputation gets the opposition calls, no matter what.

Did Duke win the game? Yes, but let's not pretend that the last five minutes weren't called completely different than the previous 35 were. The refs went from letting the teams play, to "Let's get involved" , and that's a problem. I wouldn't have a problem if they actually called it decently the entire time, instead of picking and choosing. There were multiple sequences where Miami was hacked and held going to the basket, no call, but they couldn't get their whistles into their mouths fast enough when it came to Miami and touch fouls.

Miami brought the loss on themselves by not playing well enough to have a lead coming into that final stretch, because anyone that has watched ACC basketball over the last 4 decades can tell you, you aren't winning a close game in Cameron most times, because it seems as if the refs will give Duke the benefit of the doubt more often than not. You can't leave a game in the ref's hands, especially on the road. Duke is a bigger team, but they weren't more athletic and them being allowed to hold on drives, bumping in the air helped negate Miami's primary advantage and that was speed.

I know that L and his staff will be sending some of those sequences to the league office, because some of them were that egregious. The Omier play where he gets a loose ball, goes up strong, gets hacked on the way up, guy riding his back, no call. That was a key play. I get it if the contact was minimal and Omier smoked the layup, but that was something that stood out.

If you’re looking for Bensley to be a shooter, you’re looking in the wrong places. 1/2 his shots when takes’em ‘seem’ hesitant to me. He hit the front of the iron on a pull up 4 footer yesterday, and if memory serves correct his next one wasn’t even close.

I look to Bensley for no quit D and nothing else.
The law of averages is kicking in with Joseph. He's not a deadeye shooter, he can hit, but those are bonus shots. He's a defender, distributor and guy that is becoming better at finishing at the rim. If he finishes his career being a mid 30% shooter from deep, I'm good with that.

Advertisement
Poplar has settled comfortably into giving us like a basket or two in 20 minutes. That's not cutting it.
Poplar is defense, rebounding and getting some easy buckets. He's a man that just isn't comfortable on the dribble, but isn't a good enough shooter to stand around. I wouldn't be shocked if Watson starts to take his minutes eventually. I've never seen a guy be so awkward dribbling the basketball.

Your either living on another planet or you need a eye examination. Right from the opening tip there was bias almost as if the refs were intimidated by the crazies.

I think its Casey. He’s the only one on the current roster who can provide the height inside. Duke had too many 2nd and 3rd chances once one of their big guys established inside position.

This is the downside of going All In on Small Ball.
With small ball teams, rebounding is always a problem if you don't play great defense and secure the 1st defensive rebound.
It is something that will be easily corrected in 3 weeks when they play Duke again at the Watsco Center.

This is the downside of going All In on Small Ball.
With small ball teams, rebounding is always a problem if you don't play great defense and secure the 1st defensive rebound.
It is something that will be easily corrected in 3 weeks when they play Duke again at the Watsco Center.
TEAM REBOUNDING. That's how you overcome a lack of size. You have to swarm the ball, and overwhelm their size with superior numbers. The years Miami had Bruce Brown and Davon Reed, they were great at that, despite not having truly elite size. It seemed as if everyone and their mother was meeting at the basketball. I want Casey to get more minutes for sure, I'd also love to see Watson get some PT too, because their length will help in regards to rebounding. L has to trust some of these high end freshmen to play limited minutes. It will help keep guys fresh as we get to the dog days of the season.

Advertisement
It's been stated a few times, but I'll say it again anyway: Casey needs more minutes, and Walker needs less. The kid is a 4th year player and still exhibits awful shot selection and overall feel for the game. He's not a particularly good defender or rebounder for his height, either. If there's one thing to criticize L over, why was Walker in during crunch time of this game? That contested corner 3 he jacked up sums it up...

The problem with the zebras is they are not consistent. Some call a lot of ticky/tacky fouls and others let the players play. By the time the players/coaches recognize how the game is being called, it might be too late. Some of your players are already in foul trouble.

Advertisement
The problem with the zebras is they are not consistent. Some call a lot of ticky/tacky fouls and others let the players play. By the time the players/coaches recognize how the game is being called, it might be too late. Some of your players are already in foul trouble.
I feel as I get older the officiating in all sports gets worse. Even hockey has been atrocious over the last couple of years and that was the only sport I thought they did pretty well. College sports has been straight pathetic especially when Miami is on and I'm not just making excuses. I'm the last person to ***** about the refs.

Last edited:
It's been stated a few times, but I'll say it again anyway: Casey needs more minutes, and Walker needs less. The kid is a 4th year player and still exhibits awful shot selection and overall feel for the game. He's not a particularly good defender or rebounder for his height, either. If there's one thing to criticize L over, why was Walker in during crunch time of this game? That contested corner 3 he jacked up sums it up...

I suspect Casey is medically cleared but probably still coming up to full speed from his shoulder issue.

He needs experience to be trusted in crunch time and his injury made that even more difficult. Hopefully he stays healthy and gives us what we desperately need.

Surprisingly Walker has become an almost serviceable bench player over the past couple games.

Advertisement
I’m not mad at a close loss @ Cameron, they’re pretty close to impossible to beat @ home when the game is close late because the refs take off their Black & White stripes & show their Blue Devil jerseys underneath.

We had opportunities to at least tie the game late but the ball just wasn’t falling.

Always sucks to lose to Duke, but we’ll get’em back in February @ Watsco.

I suspect Casey is medically cleared but probably still coming up to full speed from his shoulder issue.

He needs experience to be trusted in crunch time and his injury made that even more difficult. Hopefully he stays healthy and gives us what we desperately need.

Surprisingly Walker has become an almost serviceable bench player over the past couple games.

I got a kick out of Casey air balling a 3 ball.

Just don't do it in a tight game.

Advertisement
Back