Canes vs. Bama 2021 Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and I could win the lottery.
Do you honestly believe we go 11-1 or 9-3
I'm not trying to be rude but come on
17 YEARS OF THE SAME OLD ****
I don’t know man. I really have no clue after that coRching. I had predicted a 9-3 year but then I saw UNC… but now I see this coRching and I have no idea if it’s just Bama or way worse.

Advertisement
Once again, whatever the athletic department earns, it keeps. I don't know where this "Miami athletics are rolling in money, but the school is stealing it" narrative comes from, but that isn't even close to the case. I can go into detail about earmarked funds and why those funds can't legally be moved to athletics, but you don't want to hear that.
Point out where I said this. Once again THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI has plenty money, they choose to spend it on academics to which I can't fault.

If we had a president who cared for football/sports then maybe we would be more of a priority.

Advertisement
How is it possible/acceptable for them to make this many sh#t hires ? How is no one held accountable? I refuse to believe money is the issue. I know the money involved is obscene but they don't even try to hire competent coaches.

Advertisement
Point out where I said this. Once again THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI has plenty money, they choose to spend it on academics to which I can't fault.

If we had a president who cared for football/sports then maybe we would be more of a priority.
Once again, you are showing that you are a bit unfamiliar with how any competent University spends money. I feel as if I have to explain this after any loss or any time someone wants to whine about why this program struggles. By the way, most University Presidents couldn't care less about athletics. Their job revolves around fundraising for the actual institution. The University Presidents that do care about sports are usually working at marginal academic institutions, institutions like Alabama. Guess what? Alabama is known as that kind of school, because it's not the kind of school that has any name recognition outside of the Deep South.

Here goes nothing: SCHOOLS DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SPEND MONEY OUT OF THEIR ENDOWMENT ON ATHLETICS. SCHOOLS RELY ON INTERESTED ALUMNI/COMMUNITY MEMBERS CALLED BOOSTERS TO FUND THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT OUTSIDE OF REVENUE GENERATED FROM TV RIGHTS, APPAREL AND TICKET SALES. The biggest reason why schools don't do it is because a lot of money in the school is there because of earmarked donations. In other words, you can't just spend it on whatever you want. I write a check to the College of Arts and Sciences and the Law School every year, those donations are earmarked, the school can't legally take that money and spend it on a new HC. The same thing applies for the larger donors.

So in other words, despite the University of Miami having a nice sized endowment and by extension the general fund, those funds in the general fund will never be used to fund athletics. Miami has to either grow the donor pool, hope they can find a T.Boone Pickens to singlehandedly sponsor the department, or depend on a talented, forward thinking AD that can maximize the resources that are available. Blake James isn't that kind of leader, that kind of leader doesn't hire Manny Diaz without making a single phone call to a qualified candidate. Miami with a competent HC and staff still loses to Alabama today, but they put up a fight. Miami with a forward thinking AD doesn't allow Manny Diaz to call plays, he forces him to hire a decent DC.

Once again, you are showing that you are a bit unfamiliar with how any competent University spends money. I feel as if I have to explain this after any loss or any time someone wants to whine about why this program struggles. By the way, most University Presidents couldn't care less about athletics. Their job revolves around fundraising for the actual institution. The University Presidents that do care about sports are usually working at marginal academic institutions, institutions like Alabama. Guess what? Alabama is known as that kind of school, because it's not the kind of school that has any name recognition outside of the Deep South.

Here goes nothing: SCHOOLS DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SPEND MONEY OUT OF THEIR ENDOWMENT ON ATHLETICS. SCHOOLS RELY ON INTERESTED ALUMNI/COMMUNITY MEMBERS CALLED BOOSTERS TO FUND THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT OUTSIDE OF REVENUE GENERATED FROM TV RIGHTS, APPAREL AND TICKET SALES. The biggest reason why schools don't do it is because a lot of money in the school is there because of earmarked donations. In other words, you can't just spend it on whatever you want. I write a check to the College of Arts and Sciences and the Law School every year, those donations are earmarked, the school can't legally take that money and spend it on a new HC. The same thing applies for the larger donors.

So in other words, despite the University of Miami having a nice sized endowment and by extension the general fund, those funds in the general fund will never be used to fund athletics. Miami has to either grow the donor pool, hope they can find a T.Boone Pickens to singlehandedly sponsor the department, or depend on a talented, forward thinking AD that can maximize the resources that are available. Blake James isn't that kind of leader, that kind of leader doesn't hire Manny Diaz without making a single phone call to a qualified candidate. Miami with a competent HC and staff still loses to Alabama today, but they put up a fight. Miami with a forward thinking AD doesn't allow Manny Diaz to call plays, he forces him to hire a decent DC.
I appreciate the response. Without going into much detail, I understand how private school money works, I do a lot of business with one. Miami sets a budget each year and sports isn't a priority plain and simple. The major issue there is no one is selling the ROI the team could generate.

I appreciate the response. Without going into much detail, I understand how private school money works, I do a lot of business with one. Miami sets a budget each year and sports isn't a priority plain and simple. The major issue there is no one is selling the ROI the team could generate.
The ROI with college athletics are so overblown, it's hilarious. Sports are a nice marketing tool, but it's not an accident that the schools that are truly bringing in money, that have endowments in the tens of billions are mostly schools that don't even give a **** about major college athletics.

College athletics are an independent entity, there's a reason why few athletic departments give money BACK to the schools. Yes, an increase in applications is nice, but research is what drives most schools today, that's what gets people amped to donate. Keep in mind, Miami is getting 100-200 million dollar donations from people for the sciences, for research. You aren't getting that from our donors for football and never will.

The ROI with college athletics are so overblown, it's hilarious. Sports are a nice marketing tool, but it's not an accident that the schools that are truly bringing in money, that have endowments in the tens of billions are mostly schools that don't even give a **** about major college athletics.

College athletics are an independent entity, there's a reason why few athletic departments give money BACK to the schools. Yes, an increase in applications is nice, but research is what drives most schools today, that's what gets people amped to donate. Keep in mind, Miami is getting 100-200 million dollar donations from people for the sciences, for research. You aren't getting that from our donors for football and never will.
It don't matter what the ROI is if you're signing ****** contracts like BJ.

It is insane the amount in donations these schools get.

Advertisement
It don't matter what the ROI is if you're signing ****** contracts like BJ.

It is insane the amount in donations these schools get.
We are in agreement there. Miami has to think like the Oakland A's, in order words, find market inefficiencies and keep finding them to stay competitive. The problem is that you can't win titles that way, but you can be competitive. Miami has to find that kind of AD, and let them do their job. A creative, intelligent AD wouldn't have hired Manny Diaz, much less hired him without a **** interview.

Keep in mind, Alabama gets that kind of money for football because that's all they have. Their donors have gone all in on football, and that's it. Same at UGA, same at Clemson. Those schools are there merely as a way for them to have a college football team. They are managed like a football vocational academy. It's not an accident that there isn't a single private school in the country managed like that, becasue you can't survive as a private school and be an educational backwater.

Do you agree that if we had a competent AD we would have enough money for a good coaching staff? You don't need Bama money to have a properly coached fundamentally sound team.

Have a degree in Economics, 3 years later, an MBA in Finance.
Never contributed a dime.
Then Nebraska happened, ponied up 2k a year,, till we lost lost the Orange Bowl..

Advertisement
To me it seems like every passing year Miami-Dade County becomes less and less a football (American) town. Also factor in what's the BOT's priorities $$$.

Yeah. Would have been…something. I don’t believe the article indicates he was ‘begging for the job’. He’s close with Ed and Ray, probably responded ‘sure, tell them to call me’, meanwhile he’s assembling a potential staff for the Dolphins job he was never offered.

Even if he did take the job, for how long? Why would I think he‘d want the grind of recruiting HS kids? And since he never had a decent offense in the NFL I would have my concerns he’d be a pro-style guy trying to win games 14-10. Even Saban gave up on that. Kirby, not yet.

My favorite Ryan line from his TV gig is a comment on Kingsbury bringing the Air Raid to Arizona. “He had Pat Mahomes, the best quarterback in the NFL, at Texas Tech and won 5 games”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back