Canes to pattern game after Cowboys and Seahawks

Advertisement
Weaknesses of the Under front:

1. You need FOUR good defensive backs.

2. Your SAM/SOLB has to be good enough to both play the run (& TE), & drop off to cover.

3. Hard to get pressure when ball on hash to wide side.

4. Not great vs. play action or run outside to strong (TE) side.

Please explain why u say points 2 3 4.

I'm trying to see what u mean in detail. Every "scheme" has a weakness but those that u mention seem more personnel related

In reference to point 4...

If you're in an Under Front and you're playing Cover-3 then your Sam OLB has flats. With him being lined-up on the TE, so close to the LOS, this leaves him susceptible to play-action pass. He reads run, steps up and then the TE slips into the flats.

I think that's what he means. Not positive.

2. Your SAM/SOLB has to be good enough to both play the run (& TE), & drop off to cover.

I'm trying to see what u mean in detail. Every "scheme" has a weakness but those that u mention seem more personnel related

If you're in an Under Front and you're playing Cover-3 then your Sam OLB has flats. With him being lined-up on the TE, so close to the LOS, this leaves him susceptible to play-action pass. He reads run, steps up and then the TE slips into the flats.

Got u... He left a shut ton of variables. Heady players that aren't given too much bto THINK about can limit these occurrences.

I still think it comes down to the player

We are not a zone defense, we have never been good at zone. Seattle Seahawks have probably 3 times the amount of time to practice, study, and implement a game plan than a college team. And yet Golden still expects the Hurricane D to perform at the same level. Get out of town with that BS. I would rather Golden go visit Gary Patterson or the MSU DC (although he is gone now) than go visit a team like the Seahawks. The scheme needs to be simplified to the college level, bottom line. Stop trying to be the smartest guy in the room and just go with what you see dozens of others College team doing that is working. When you have a good corner leave the system because he cannot play aggressive style that is very telling. That was not matter of playing time, it was a matter of scheme. I am not sold that even half these kids on the roster have bought into this BS system and that right there means it will never succeed no matter how much you preach it or teach it.

Advertisement
Things people dont get with Seahawks.

They get GREAT safety play......not just because these guys are just good back there....but Chancellor played at VA Tech with Bud Foster shceme and played alot of man covg, mixed in with alot of different disguises and coverages...(Va tech dbs perform pretty good in the pros because of this)...and Earl Thomas was at Texas played in a bunch of coverages and is a HIGH I.Q. guy.

Chancellor wouldnt be who he is in a diff scheme...Thomas i think likely would be. But these guys add in with the best cb in football...and a solid to good dline is pretty much an elite defense...and thats with avg linebacker talent.

-We cant run their defense (which isnt that difficult schematically) because ous is actually all types of difficult to learn...and we have solid guy sin the back 7 but when they are thinking more so than playiong and misstepping their not playing full throttle....The light clicked on for Deon Bush somehwat this yr and he looked all acc level. But this will forever be a problem..as it forever was a problem anywhere AL Groh went with this sh*tty defense as well...even when ran by the 3.5-4.0 gpa kids at GA TECH,

*Add the P&ssification of the actual play caller (No frio) and him being afraid sh*tless...and reactive...i have no faith our defense will EVER be good while they are here. Its OBVIOUS..just watch the games where our defense looked "aggressive"...and you will notice they were games where No frio wasnt threatened by anything on the other teams o. Against FSU they had nothing to loose so came in all aggressive in first half.....when sh*t mattered ...went right back into that p&ssy. Dude was afraid of Nebraska wr threat...thats all i had to know that their some clowns....when i watch freaking Mcneese State give no f*cks about Nebraska anfd send the house and basically hold down that o...with guys that would be scout team with us.

Prop Joe is through man.....imma go to the spring game...watch it up close....but im all in on a 7-6 type of year here if i odnt see uge progress defensively. This o should be able to score good numbers on most team in this conference. Coley f's up as well but Gus bus and yearby will have a coming out party in my opinion this year.

Wasn't UM's defense ranked 13th or so in the nation last year?

I made a thread about this a while back, but you are correct. The TOTAL DEFENSE stat, which is one of the most misleading stats in football, was top 15; however, if you look at individual stats, such as 3rd down efficiency, 4th down defense, T.O.P, TO ratios, sacks, qb pressures, penalties....we were in the bottom 3rd in the NCAA once again.

The total defense is based upon points given up and total yards per game. The total ypg was misleading b/c we often played on our side of the field since our offense couldn't sustain drives or convert 3rd downs; therefore, the opposition didn't have to drive 80 yrds to score, the only had to drive 60-65 yrds. Also, the strength of schedule diminished from a pre-season top 20 schedule to a in-season top 60 schedule...so the level of competition was not that great, yet we went 6-7.

That's how Golden tries to deceive us, by concentrating on one positive to justify his scheme, but when you break it down, it was just as flawed as last year, if not worst since we couldn't get home to the QB or create TOs.

Not only that but the offense also milked the clock on every snap by going to the LOS and then look to the sidelines to get the play from Coley.Every snap came with a second or 2 left on the play clock.The defense was awful last year there were games where the other team punted only once or twice all game.

^^^^
This. If memory serves correctly, in 2012-13, when our offense was humming under Jedd Fisch, Golden complained about our offense scoring too fast, as a means to justify why we ranked 90th in our total defense and like 111th against the run and 95th against the pass.

In the 2013-2014 season, we saw our O plummet in ppg, ypg, and points per possession. That's b/c we began to see the "check w/ me" system. Golden, since he's a "defensive coach", was willing to sacrifice what made us competitive in order to save face regarding his b.s scheme. He's masking over a flawed system by sacrificing the offense. This is why he must go far, far away from this program. When you are the smartest in the room, it's always going to be his way over everything and it will always be someone else's fault.

We are not a zone defense, we have never been good at zone. Seattle Seahawks have probably 3 times the amount of time to practice, study, and implement a game plan than a college team. And yet Golden still expects the Hurricane D to perform at the same level. Get out of town with that BS. I would rather Golden go visit Gary Patterson or the MSU DC (although he is gone now) than go visit a team like the Seahawks. The scheme needs to be simplified to the college level, bottom line. Stop trying to be the smartest guy in the room and just go with what you see dozens of others College team doing that is working. When you have a good corner leave the system because he cannot play aggressive style that is very telling. That was not matter of playing time, it was a matter of scheme. I am not sold that even half these kids on the roster have bought into this BS system and that right there means it will never succeed no matter how much you preach it or teach it.

You have to be able to play zone. EVERYBODY does. Miami played a ton of Quarters coverage before Golden got here.

Got u... He left a shut ton of variables. Heady players that aren't given too much bto THINK about can limit these occurrences.

I still think it comes down to the player

Agree.

Advertisement
"We've changed so much from year to year . . . "

from "We need to maintain continuity . . . "

Golden is all over the map.

Golden doesn't know what the **** he is doing. Seattle runs its defense the way it does cause of the players it's has. It's not some special system. Golden is a dumb *** for even saying this. What he needs to do is learn his own dam players and build his defense accordingly instead of trying to copy cat Seattle.

This has cleared everything up for me. I'm going to tell my 8 year old sons basketball coach to pattern the team after the 96-98 Bulls, showtime Lakers and sprinkle in a Lil bad boys pistons. Trophy on its way.

7dpx5i2.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back