Canes to B1G?

No way the sanctimonious jerks in the B1G bring MIami in. They're too high and mighty for that.

Advertisement
And, I'm not so sure WVU would really elevate the ACC. Yes, they have a very loyal fanbase, however their academics are to put it mildly questionable, and a small TV market. I suppose something is better than nothing, but I don't see this move as a lifeline. Just MHO.
Exactly. They're essentially Pitt minus the urban market and good academics. There's a reason that of that little Pitt-Pedo State-WVU triad that the hillbillies ended up being the least valuable commodity.

That said, I think the reason people mention them by default (aside from the Big East history) is just that they generally have adequate to respectable football and hoops products and the pickings are beyond slim in poachable Power 5 products east of the Mississippi.

And, I'm not so sure WVU would really elevate the ACC. Yes, they have a very loyal fanbase, however their academics are to put it mildly questionable, and a small TV market. I suppose something is better than nothing, but I don't see this move as a lifeline. Just MHO.
What are you basing that statement on WVU's academics on?

Advertisement
It’s not a great option, but it might be our only. The SEC will not take us. We can’t stay in the ACC. This whole situation is because we have a beta cuck AD and a leadership team with no vision. Reactionary garbage
And that my friends will be our last obstacle to becoming a nationally relevant power assuming that we can keep up this momentum in terms of building a top notch staff, upgrades to facilities etc. This program has been screaming for a real AD. A true leader who knows how to navigate the treacherous waters of today's modern college sports and especially football.

If Clemson and FSU went to the SEC, I'd say we should join them. The B1G can raid the ACC of Duke/UNC/ND/Pitt/etc. It just makes sense academically, geographically, and athletically not just with Football. They'd be THE conference for basketball by far...

The Big 10 will not take a school not accredited by the AAU. Miami is not so accredited. Also the Big 10 has never taken school that did not have a wrestling program. The Big 10 wants what it considers complimentary institutions.

The rules are changing, but I doubt they change that much.
Miami (and VTech) aren't that far off from being AAU if they wanted to be.

Advertisement
Is it a joke that the Big 10 wouldn't admit us due to academics? We are in a conference with 8 top 50 schools, including ourselves. The Big 10 has 4. There may be many reasons why they wouldn't want us, but academics can't be one of them. If we are going to play 1-2 interesting games per year it might as well be in a conference that pays us $54 million per year. Anything but the ACC.

Advertisement
Purdue and IU are solid. No bad schools.
ACC is more impressive.

bottomline is the two conference need to get together in some form regardless of any move by FSU and Clemson.

pressure ND by refusing to play them.

What does that mean?
AAU is a academic membership which heavily emphasizes research.
Miami and VTech are two top universities who are currently non-AAU members.

When Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU (and thus is the only non-AAU member in the B1G (they value this academic membership highly)) they had an internal report essentially ranking ALL Universities.

Basically for Football-relevant schools that were non AAU members (at the time of this ranking in 2005-2007) it went :
31. GTech (gained membership in like 2012)
49. Utah (gained membership in 2019)
57. Wake Forest
59. Miami (There were 13 AAU member schools ranked below Miami at this time with a total of like 60 universities who had AAU membership)
62. Cincinnati
67. Oregon St
87. ASU
87. USF
91. VTech
91. NCSt
94. FSU
96. Louisville
96. Kentucky
99. Notre Dame
100. Ole Miss
103. South Carolina
109. Nebraska
110. Georgia

Honestly, I could have sworn VTech was way higher, but maybe that was in a more recent ranking or something...

Advertisement
I don’t see how ND will be able to stay independent if these mega conferences do become reality. I do t know if the teams in the mega conferences will be available for ND to fill out a quality schedule. Yes, some schools will schedule ND but will ND get enough quality opponents.

I don't want to hear the weather thing.

It isn't typically snowing late November or first week of December when all the Big games are done. The conference title game is indoors these days.

It doesn't make sense unless part of the ACC goes to bridge the gap between all the states.

Maybe all of this has been said, but a couple of weather posts in made me skip the rest of the posts.

I don't want to hear the weather thing.

It isn't typically snowing late November or first week of December when all the Big games are done. The conference title game is indoors these days.

It doesn't make sense unless part of the ACC goes to bridge the gap between all the states.

Maybe all of this has been said, but a couple of weather posts in made me skip the rest of the posts.

**** the snow...the cold temps are still not fun. As a Miami born dude, I spent 3 1/2 years in Eastern North Carolina and would feel like I was freezing around Mid to late October.

Advertisement
Back