Canes to B1G?

My God have we gotten soft. Whatever happened to "Any team, anytime, any place"?
And the worst part about those statements is that it will literally only be like 2-3 games per year max and they won’t even consider their teams having to play in this hot *** sun.

Advertisement
**** the snow...the cold temps are still not fun. As a Miami born dude, I spent 3 1/2 years in Eastern North Carolina and would feel like I was freezing around Mid to late October.

Surprised you didn't get used to it.

I know what you mean though and 50 with some wind is freezing to S. Floridians.

I don’t see how ND will be able to stay independent if these mega conferences do become reality. I do t know if the teams in the mega conferences will be available for ND to fill out a quality schedule. Yes, some schools will schedule ND but will ND get enough quality opponents.

I don't see how they stay independent now. They are losing tons of money by being independent. Even if they joined the ACC right now they'd be making more money, I can't imagine they keep this up for much longer.

We need to renegotiate the ACC TV deal with clauses if/when we can add Notre Dame. Throw in another clause if we can add Penn State. There's no reason the Big 10 makes so much more money than we do. SEC I can understand, not the Big 10.

I don't want to hear the weather thing.

It isn't typically snowing late November or first week of December when all the Big games are done. The conference title game is indoors these days.

It doesn't make sense unless part of the ACC goes to bridge the gap between all the states.

Maybe all of this has been said, but a couple of weather posts in made me skip the rest of the posts.
I hear you.
We play Pitt, BC now, Back in the Big East days there was Rutgers, Pitt, BC, WVU, so I'm not getting the big push about a couple of games in November.

Stop focusing on “northern” team. Who there other than UF generates us revenue? None. What incentive does the SEC have in seeing Miami be a top tier program again? None.

We go to the Big 10 and we generate a **** ton of money playing OSU and PSU every year since we all don’t like each other. We play Nebraska every year which generates money for the conference and us being there probably tips ND into going the Big 10 as well which lead to use playing them…and generating a **** ton of money.

The SEC has no interest in us being great because they have their blue bloods already plus UT and Oklahoma while the Big 10 would be absolutely invested in seeing us become our former selves because it would create a juggernaut to combat the SEC with Us, OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan leading the charge. There is no other school out there right now that has the potential to be able to go toe to toe with the SEC than us and they know it. They have all the reason in the world to be invested in our success.
I believe the ACC pulled us down to their level cause our joining the ACC happened to come at a bad turn for UM.

Advertisement
I believe the ACC pulled us down to their level cause our joining the ACC happened to come at a bad turn for UM.

The ACC had nothing to do with bringing us to their level. What does that even mean really?

We joined in 2004 as well, so it isn't like we were dead in the water like we have been. We came in off a 10-2 season and put up two 9-3 seasons before the wheels fell off.

We are at fault, nobody else.

Can someone explain why Penn state is a school I keep seeing about joining the ACC? ND I could understand but why PSU? Seems random.

The ACC had nothing to do with bringing us to their level. What does that even mean really?

We joined in 2004 as well, so it isn't like we were dead in the water like we have been. We came in off a 10-2 season and put up two 9-3 seasons before the wheels fell off.

Ironically, where the ACC hurt us (helped, as well) is with the guaranteed money. Shalala and the University saw that money coming in and stopped prioritizing/investing into the program.

At the Big East, I believe the money was not distributed equally like the ACC. When we didn’t make a big bowl game or a bottom tier bowl, we lost a lot of money; therefore, winning was the only option. The program couldn’t afford not to make BCS or bowl games. Hence, why we bounced.

@Cribby any smoke here or anywhere, for that matter, in regards to conferences?
I never asked or cared that much for that matter lol . I don't think I've read one thread or article on this stuff , for whatever reason it doesn't interest me lol. Texas and OU either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't see how they stay independent now. They are losing tons of money by being independent. Even if they joined the ACC right now they'd be making more money, I can't imagine they keep this up for much longer.

We need to renegotiate the ACC TV deal with clauses if/when we can add Notre Dame. Throw in another clause if we can add Penn State. There's no reason the Big 10 makes so much more money than we do. SEC I can understand, not the Big 10.

The Big 10 makes more money than every other conference, even the SEC (for now).

I agree.

Our problems have been a lack of leadership at the top and has filtered its way down to its football program.

Miami could've been in the SEC this whole time, and we still would have replicated the same level (lack thereof) success that we did in the ACC.

Ironically, where the ACC hurt us (helped, as well) is with the guaranteed money. Shalala and the University saw that money coming in and stopped prioritizing/investing into the program.

At the Big East, I believe the money was not distributed equally like the ACC. When we didn’t make a big bowl game or a bottom tier bowl, we lost a lot of money; therefore, winning was the only option. The program couldn’t afford not to make BCS or bowl games. Hence, why we bounced.

Excellent point, and this is something the ACC must do or it will collapse.

If I were running the ACC, I would make sure the top ACC schools are making SEC/Big10 money. You do that by saying anyone who finishes in the AP top 25 gets a cut of the distribution, if you finish outside then you get zero. So instead of cutting the pie 14 ways, you’re cutting it only 3 or 4 ways.

Anyone who doesn’t like it can **** off and join the Sun Belt.

No reason we should be sharing equally with BC and Wake Forest…and if nothing changes and UM/FSU/Clemson are making half of what SEC teams make, they’ll take off. Not if but when. Not sustainable to make that much less than your peers, and the schools know this

Excellent point, and this is something the ACC must do or it will collapse.

If I were running the ACC, I would make sure the top ACC schools are making SEC/Big10 money. You do that by saying anyone who finishes in the AP top 25 gets a cut of the distribution, if you finish outside then you get zero. So instead of cutting the pie 14 ways, you’re cutting it only 3 or 4 ways.

Anyone who doesn’t like it can **** off and join the Sun Belt.

No reason we should be sharing equally with BC and Wake Forest…and if nothing changes and UM/FSU/Clemson are making half of what SEC teams make, they’ll take off. Not if but when. Not sustainable to make that much less than your peers, and the schools know this
Realistically, how many schools in the ACC can command the TV, streaming, etc. audience and revenue as some of the SEC and BIG10 schools? Some of these schools comman the entire state. Some schools, OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc have huge followings and alumni bases. We can add ND to help us, but it's not the same. The ACC can improve and make a lot of money, but as it is, it will likely never command the amount of money the SEC and BIG10 can now and in the foreseeable future.

Advertisement
Wishful thinking (definition): The attribution of reality to what one wishes to be true or the tenuous justification of what one wants to believe
It just goes back to when they're were an independent like us and were floated as a potential member of a number of conferences. So it's like the guys around here that keep mentioning our supposed SEC rumors from 30 years ago as being somehow relevant to today. Pedo State is doing just fine in the Big Ten though. If the ACC can't even get Notre Dame then they ain't poaching an upper echelon Big Ten program.

Miami joining the big 10 would be a dumb move, the SEC is ideal. Our rivals would have a recruiting advantage over us, We’d be playing teams way out of our region, which would be less appealing to the guys we recruit

Advertisement
Realistically, how many schools in the ACC can command the TV, streaming, etc. audience and revenue as some of the SEC and BIG10 schools? Some of these schools comman the entire state. Some schools, OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc have huge followings and alumni bases. We can add ND to help us, but it's not the same. The ACC can improve and make a lot of money, but as it is, it will likely never command the amount of money the SEC and BIG10 can now and in the foreseeable future.

I just told you how. You can either grow the whole pie to equal the SEC - never gonna happen - OR you can change how you slice the pie.

There’s nothing that says every team in a conference needs to share revenue equally. My suggestion is to give teams that finish top 25 the ENTIRE distribution for the ACC…so Wake eg gets zero, and Miami gets Wake’s share.

Do that, and Clemson, UM, etc will make more than SEC teams. That’s what should happen for the ACC to stay competitive

Big East had revenue sharing, but your bowl game revenue was yours. I believe your out of conference games were yours as well, but I'm not 100 percent certain on that.

I just told you how. You can either grow the whole pie to equal the SEC - never gonna happen - OR you can change how you slice the pie.

There’s nothing that says every team in a conference needs to share revenue equally. My suggestion is to give teams that finish top 25 the ENTIRE distribution for the ACC…so Wake eg gets zero, and Miami gets Wake’s share.

Do that, and Clemson, UM, etc will make more than SEC teams. That’s what should happen for the ACC to stay competitive

I'm not going to go into why that is a crazy idea, dumb even, but there's zero chance that will happen.

I'm not going to go into why that is a crazy idea, dumb even, but there's zero chance that will happen.

I want to hear why you think it’s a crazy and dumb idea.

Low chance of happening….maybe, but some kind of unequal revenue distribution, even if not as drastic as what I want to happen, is probably inevitable if they want to keep the top 3 or 4 teams in the ACC from bailing.

SEC and Big 10 schools making 2x and 3x as much as ACC schools is not sustainable. It will never last. If it remains the case, I guarantee the ACC is toast

Advertisement
Back