Canes to B1G?

Think Nebraska is the only non-AAU accredited school in the B1G. And they made a "special exception" for them. Not sure if they'd go that route with UM. As for UM, I think re the AAU deal, "if we coulda, we woulda by now." Not sure exactly where we fall short in terms of becoming eligible to be an AAU member.

Members have to pay $80k per year in membership dues. I wouldn't be surprised if Miami was like, "80k? That's too expensive for an accreditation we don't really need." AAU isn't like the Big10 Academic Alliance where there is a 10 billion pot of research money. It's more prestige and lobbying. Also, I don't think the books have been open since the 1990s so it doesn't look like the AAU is actively recruiting new members. From what I learned online, one massive factor in AAU accreditation is biomedical research. Miami has some of the premier biomed research in the world. I don't think that meeting their requirements for AAU accreditation would be a big problem (it was an issue for Nebraska because they have a ton of agricultural research, but the AAU doesn't weigh that as heavily as biomed). Notre Dame isn't an AAU member either and I suspect many people would consider Notre Dame to be a top research university.

Advertisement
Members have to pay $80k per year in membership dues. I wouldn't be surprised if Miami was like, "80k? That's too expensive for an accreditation we don't really need." AAU isn't like the Big10 Academic Alliance where there is a 10 billion pot of research money. It's more prestige and lobbying. Also, I don't think the books have been open since the 1990s so it doesn't look like the AAU is actively recruiting new members. From what I learned online, one massive factor in AAU accreditation is biomedical research. Miami has some of the premier biomed research in the world. I don't think that meeting their requirements for AAU accreditation would be a big problem (it was an issue for Nebraska because they have a ton of agricultural research, but the AAU doesn't weigh that as heavily as biomed). Notre Dame isn't an AAU member either and I suspect many people would consider Notre Dame to be a top research university.
It seems like a weird club designed to let some bigger state institutions hang around some ivy league private schools. Probably a benefit for administrators more than anything.

We would also try and move BC and Cuse with us and ultimately Notre Dame as well.

No.

There's too much dead weight in these conferences as it is. Adding BC and Syracuse would just make the Big 10 into the ACC lite.

The knife running through the heart of the ACC - the REASON they don't get as much TV money as others and the reason FSU/Clemson/whatever want out... is because of the dead weight.

ESPN/Fox don't want to pay a conference to have to put Wake Forest vs BC, or Rutgers vs Maryland on the air. It's not a valuable product.

No.

There's too much dead weight in these conferences as it is. Adding BC and Syracuse would just make the Big 10 into the ACC lite.

The knife running through the heart of the ACC - the REASON they don't get as much TV money as others and the reason FSU/Clemson/whatever want out... is because of the dead weight.

ESPN/Fox don't want to pay a conference to have to put Wake Forest vs BC, or Rutgers vs Maryland on the air. It's not a valuable product.
SEC already have a geo footprint where Clemson @& fsu are UF USC EAST

SEC already have a geo footprint where Clemson @& fsu are UF USC EAST

Geo footprint mattered 10 years ago... that's not how the game is played today. Now it's all about adding brands and creating the best matchups.

I won't get in to the business reasons why, I don't think anybody cares, but that's how the playing field has changed. And honestly that's good for Miami.

Advertisement
It seems like a weird club designed to let some bigger state institutions hang around some ivy league private schools. Probably a benefit for administrators more than anything.

I get a chuckle out of schools like Wisconsin and Minnesota calling themselves "Public Ivies." It's like Miami or other schools calling themselves the "Harvard of the [insert region]." It probably gets the administrators feted at their fancy ****tail parties though. I would bet you a shiny nickel that Donna Shalala discussed turning Miami into the "Harvard of the South" at least once in meetings with the high roller donors.

I'm already having flash backs of our team huddling under heaters and getting run over by Wisconsin. And that game was in Orlando lol Imagine having to play them up there. Oh wait we also got run over by them in NY? Sounds like a great idea.

If Miami is jumping ship it needs to be SEC. Traveling all the way up north 6 times a year would be a diaster.

Someone said the penalty to leave is 100 million? Where the Fck is that written. I thought it was 50 million and Maryland only paid 31.4 after it counter sued the acc.
As far as someone saying that “it’s not the Acc’s fault but our fault and the rest of the teams’ fault that the acc doesn’t generate enough revenue cause Clemson is the only one winning” is a bull sht argument. Who tf in that conference except the suckeyes have done anything remotely relevant? Anyone not willing to play in the cold is dumb AF. Idk if anyone heard of something called the nfl playoffs when you have to go and play in New England Chicago Green Bay etc.
Suck up 2 games and let the rest come down here and sweat balls.
would love Minnesota to come here in September for a noon game.

Also, why tf would pedo state leave for less money? Is the acc really gonna match sec or big ten revenue cause one team comes in that hasn’t done sht except be famous for molesting kids?
Are the domers and pedo state gonna make the ACc say “yeah now we can pay 65 million a year for each team”.
Tel the ACc to not be stupid or we out.
Even Clemson is ****ed that they’re not making the revenue that Maryland does. And if I’m not mistaken in the next year or two the big 10 is gonna be forking out more than double standard of the acc 30 mill per team.

No.

Seems to me there's a lot of "dead weight," as you put it, in the SEC. Even more so, in most years, in the B1G.

Advertisement
I’ve ven told multiple times no one wants us.

So im calling bull ****
Asinine. As I’ve previously The Big 10 not only would want us but would definitely have a vested interest in us becoming our old selves again. The main component though, as I’ve also stated, is that we need to use what’s going on as leverage and be proactive instead of reactive. Do we trust Blake to be proactive though? You probably know my answer on that.

If Miami is jumping ship it needs to be SEC.

Big picture- Miami thinks its academics warrant being in the smartest conference. The ACC is by far the most academically prestigious of the P5. It's a toss up for #2 between the Pac12 and B1G. Pac12 has Stanford, Cal, and even UCLA and USC are in or near the top 25. Obviously joining the Pac12 is a non starter. So B1G let's Miami feel smart, it has much larger payouts than the SEC, and it offers members 10 BILLION in research money. The only thing that the SEC could offer Miami that would make it more attractive than the B1G is that it might be slightly warmer.

Advertisement
Big picture- Miami thinks its academics warrant being in the smartest conference. The ACC is by far the most academically prestigious of the P5. It's a toss up for #2 between the Pac12 and B1G. Pac12 has Stanford, Cal, and even UCLA and USC are in or near the top 25. Obviously joining the Pac12 is a non starter. So B1G let's Miami feel smart, it has much larger payouts than the SEC, and it offers members 10 BILLION in research money. The only thing that the SEC could offer Miami that would make it more attractive than the B1G is that it might be slightly warmer.
Not challenging you, just looking for clarification. Is that 10 billion that is evenly distributed among B1G members, or 10B per school (which would be outrageous)

I'm already having flash backs of our team huddling under heaters and getting run over by Wisconsin. And that game was in Orlando lol Imagine having to play them up there. Oh wait we also got run over by them in NY? Sounds like a great idea.

If Miami is jumping ship it needs to be SEC. Traveling all the way up north 6 times a year would be a diaster.
My God have we gotten soft. Whatever happened to "Any team, anytime, any place"?

Advertisement
It's entertaining to go back and forth on this thread as to whether to join the B1G or not, but should an invitation be extended, let's all be real.
Once the lawyers give the thumbs up, it's a done deal.
I'm surprised honestly that this is even a conversation where some see this as a bad move. For right now, the Big 10 generates the most TV revenue for its members. Adding Miami helps them grab the Florida market. You're also talking about yearly match ups with Penn State and Ohio State, potentially. This will generate revenue.

I of course bring this up in the event FSU and Clemson somehow bolt for the SEC. The above scenario would be more than ideal, especially if the SEC tells Miami to **** off. Do people really believe that Miami could just stay in the ACC and that we'll just add other schools. Outside of WVU, which other school will elevate the ACC?

I have no problem with that but have you watched us play over the last 2 decades? Lol
I've religiously watched us play since my family moved to South Florida in 1981 when I was 9. I think among the biggest differentiators between our 2 decades of dominance vs the last 2 decades of irrelevance is our mindset which starts with having no fear of any team and showing up to demolish them anywhere anytime. If we're afraid to play Indiana in November, we deserve to be irrelevant.

I'm surprised honestly that this is even a conversation where some see this as a bad move. For right now, the Big 10 generates the most TV revenue for its members. Adding Miami helps them grab the Florida market. You're also talking about yearly match ups with Penn State and Ohio State, potentially. This will generate revenue.

I of course bring this up in the event FSU and Clemson somehow bolt for the SEC. The above scenario would be more than ideal, especially if the SEC tells Miami to **** off. Do people really believe that Miami could just stay in the ACC and that we'll just add other schools. Outside of WVU, which other school will elevate the ACC?
And, I'm not so sure WVU would really elevate the ACC. Yes, they have a very loyal fanbase, however their academics are to put it mildly questionable, and a small TV market. I suppose something is better than nothing, but I don't see this move as a lifeline. Just MHO.

Advertisement
Back