Canes to B1G?

Advertisement
We should join the SEC.

The Big10 is a great conference, but Miami is not a northern team. I know that Miami sees itself as the Stanford of the South or whatever and our leadership would probably rather hobnob with the President of Michigan rather than Alabama... but I just hope our snobbery doesn't become a barrier for us.

From a recruiting standpoint, to a travel standpoint, to a money standpoint, the SEC makes way more sense. If FSU is in the SEC and Miami in the Big 10, that helps FSU recruiting-wise in my opinion. I think South Florida kids prefer the SEC.

Miami is in the Southeast. Join the Southeastern Conference if it's an option (and it would be if we wanted it). It's not rocket surgery.

I don't hate the idea of the Big 10, but I think the SEC is a better choice IMO.
I'm 99.9% sure U****sticks have blocked us twice from joining the SEC. Many years ago and recently before we joined the ACC.

Imagine you’re running ESPN. Miami os a valuable brand. Maybe not as valuable as Texas, but **** valuable all the same. Right now, you have Miami.

If Miami goes to the Big 10, you lose Miami. How is that good for you?

What you want is to keep your most valuable brands, and you want to milk as much out of them as possible. You want Miami playing FSU and Florida and whatever marquee matchups you can create because that means eyeballs and money.

SEC would take us because ESPN writes the checks and they carry a **** big stick. IMO.

I don't see UF, Bama and UGA allowing that to happen. Especially UF. If FSU has a vote, they're not going to want Miami in as well.

Miami to the SEC benefits us greatly, other schools see that.

ESPN hasn't shown much love for Miami. They seem content with Miami being an afterthought.

From a competitive standpoint, having to fly a minimum of 6 hours to all of your away games and then have to play half of them in cold weather a team from FL doesn’t seem like a great strategy. Just my thoughts on it 🤷🏼‍♂️
The maximum flight time to any B1G school from MIA is 4 hours, and the average is around 3…unless we’re flying on the DC-3 from “Major League” — and with Blake as AD that is entirely possible.

Advertisement
The reason we must go is to not be an orphan after realignment, not to be remake ourselves as some other school.

The reason we don’t go SEC is UF. They’d love nothing more than to be our death knell.
The gaytors have the same number of votes to say yes or no to a team joining as every member of the conference. I agree we aren't ever joining the sec, but they will have nothing to do with it either way. Did you just miss the Texas A & M/Texas situation?? A & M having their panties in a bundle over it meant absolutely ******* nothing. The sec plowed right over them. Each team gets one vote, that's it.

You guys really want UM playing games in November/December in Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin? The weather would suck for half our games.
I was at a night game in Ann Arbor in October. By the end of the game it was 40 degrees.
It’s not about solely about fan comfort, it’s about playing conditions. 40 degrees on the field is almost perfect conditions, it’s not the ice bowl. Many UM players adjusted easily when drafted by pro teams playing in the North.

The real issue would be logistics, not just for football, but for all the other sports that would have to travel for road games.

I don't see UF, Bama and UGA allowing that to happen. Especially UF. If FSU has a vote, they're not going to want Miami in as well.

ESPN hasn't shown much love for Miami. They seem content with Miami being an afterthought.
Exactly how would ESPN have shown love? More UM games on their channels? Maybe if we had a better product ...?

Last season when we played Duke, it was around 40 degrees. We won 48-0.

They make thermal underwear now that keeps you nice and toasty. Cold weather shouldn't be the reason to keep Miami out of the B1G.

It gets really, really, really cold in some parts of SEC and ACC country as well. Many years ago, I did some training at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. In January it was 0 degrees with windchill. ZERO degrees.

My parents live in Kentucky and it regularly dips down to 10-15 degrees in the winter. Pretty much every conference is going to have its share of cold weather games.
I meant we would hate it as fans traveling to all those places. Yes they are “college towns” but having grown up in a college town was enough for me

Advertisement
How many times has this been rehashed. UF would love nothing more than to see us left standing when the music stops. They’d fall on their sword before they let us in.

They would also love never to schedule us again…but they do.

UF doesn’t drive the bus.

The gaytors have the same number of votes to say yes or no to a team joining as every member of the conference. I agree we aren't ever joining the sec, but they will have nothing to do with it either way. Did you just miss the Texas A & M/Texas situation?? A & M having their panties in a bundle over it meant absolutely ******* nothing. The sec plowed right over them. Each team gets one vote, that's it.
But UF is not alone. It takes only 5 schools to block a vote. With Texas and OU, it’s only A & M blocking it. UF has UGA, UK, UT and USCe voting as group to prevent expansion from those they deem as competitors.

I'm 99.9% sure U****sticks have blocked us twice from joining the SEC. Many years ago and recently before we joined the ACC.

Others have made that point also and it’s fair, but I disagree.

Today’s game is all about driving TV revenue by creating interesting matchups. UM vs UF is great television. Whatever hangups the Gator has, they’re not calling the shots at the end of the day…as Texas and A&M recently proved.

ESPN and Fox are driving the bus here, not some rinky dink board of regents in Gainesville.

College football sold it’s soul to the networks, and the networks are the ones calling all the shots now

Advertisement

Bama doesn’t give a **** either way. UGA might, but not enough to bite the hand that feeds (ESPN). UF might try to block, but ESPN would roll over them just like they did A&M.

College football has changed, man. These conferences have made huge money deals with the network and money talks now in a way it never used to.

The thing about selling your soul to the devil (or to Micky Mouse), as the SEC has done, is you give up a lot of control.

UF might want to block, but ESPN doesn’t give a **** about their whiney reasons for wanting to keep us out. UF vs UM vs FSU week after week is good TV, it’s $$$, and that’s all that’s going to matter

Both this and @RocketsandCanes make several good points
Thanks @JeddTheFisch. And @Rellyrell this is a really good point. I didn't discuss the option of staying in the ACC. But I think that is the most likely scenario and I would prefer that if we could add some quality programs.

As much as I think the B10 would be really interesting, it would be the lesser of the evils of changing conferences. The plain fact is changing conferences is hard and a huge risk. If you look back at all the programs that have changed conferences in the past 20 years, it has rarely worked out all that well for them. It certainly hasn't vaulted any into sustained powerhouses (A&M is trying to change that). At least that I can remember.

It would be cool to pry some B12 teams like Ok. State (Jimmy Johnson Bowl), Baylor, and TCU (MOAR private schools), but I don't think that is super realistic. More likely that we raid the AAC. But we need to avoid vaulting UCF into the ACC imo. They are a sleeping giant with the size and resources they have.

This move would mark the end of the Miami Hurricanes football program.
The end? Come on SF, you know the end already came for us a longtime ago. You know, when we joined the ACC/Tobacco road mafia. Smh if anything, this move and the BIG (no pun intended lol) $$$ that come with it will probably be what rebirths us. We’d have so much money the admin couldn’t even be cheap if they wanted too! Well atleast that’s what I hope! 🙏 lol

Advertisement
Imagine being in the sec and we’re in fspoos “pod” and we still get to play them yearly and then we also get to play ufag as your permanent matchup. It would be ideal

Thanks @JeddTheFisch. And @Rellyrell this is a really good point. I didn't discuss the option of staying in the ACC. But I think that is the most likely scenario and I would prefer that if we could add some quality programs.

As much as I think the B10 would be really interesting, it would be the lesser of the evils of changing conferences. The plain fact is changing conferences is hard and a huge risk. If you look back at all the programs that have changed conferences in the past 20 years, it has rarely worked out all that well for them. It certainly hasn't vaulted any into sustained powerhouses (A&M is trying to change that). At least that I can remember.

It would be cool to pry some B12 teams like Ok. State (Jimmy Johnson Bowl), Baylor, and TCU (MOAR private schools), but I don't think that is super realistic. More likely that we raid the AAC. But we need to avoid vaulting UCF into the ACC imo. They are a sleeping giant with the size and resources they have.

Was listening to Parker & Durham this am. They made it quite clear; the ACC is not the problem. The narrative of it being a weak conference is b/c this league needs FSU to be FSU the nation is accustomed to. It needs Miami to be The U again. The league is perceived as weak b/c only Clemson is handling their biz.

I’ve been saying this for yrs, how in tf can we blame The ACC for our failures? The ACC actually did right by us; they put us in a Big Eastesq division. Why? B/c they needed us. We were the prized acquisition during that 1st expansion in 2004. 5x National Champion, that went 46-4 over a 4 yr period, 2 yrs removed as Nat’l champion??? Of course they were going to do right by us! We were supposed to be in the ACCCG, often, against their FB crown jewel & our hated rival, FSU. Well, for yrs FSU held up their end, we did & have not. Yet, we blame the ACC? Sorry to say, we’re apart of the problem in helping this perception that the ACC is weak.

To ur point, jumping conferences rarely works out when it comes to a P5 to a different P5 conference.

Colorado from B12 to P12 = fail

Nebraska from B12 to B1G = fail

Maryland from ACC to B1G = fail

TAMU from B12 to SEC = still mediocre (although they r trending up)

Mizzou from B12 to SEC = fail

Miami from Big East to ACC = fail

Rutgers from Big East to B1G = fail

WVA from Big East to B12 = fail

Syracuse from Big East to ACC = fail

Pittsburgh from Big East to ACC = fail

VT from Big East to ACC = inconsistent, but the best out of the entire bunch.

Advertisement
Back