Canes offer 2019 OT Elmonus; Wake commit gives thoughts on UM's flip chances

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With the early signing period fast-approaching, it’s crunch time in Coral Gables for the Canes to sign a top class of prospects. Senior seasons are wrapping up around the country and the fall evaluation period has yielded a new name for Miami: A.C. Reynolds (NC) 3-star OT CJ Elmonus.

Sources have confirmed to CIS that Elmonus has landed a Miami offer. Elmonus, a Wake Forest commit, just received his UM offer on Monday and talked with CIS about how he learned the news.

“I received a phone call on Monday from the OL coach and he told me he was offering me,” Elmonus said. “I was slightly surprised at the offer because of how late it was.”

As the Canes find themselves with a huge need for offensive tackles, O-Line coach Stacy Searels has made Elmonus one of his top priorities down the stretch and has begun to build a connection with the 6’7” 265 pounder.

“Initially I spoke with (Asst. Director of Player Personnel) Chip Francoforte,” Elmonus said. “He was just letting me know that Miami was interested in me and that I should give coach Searels a call. Then I spoke with coach Searels, who I have talked to the most since.”

Now that he has the offer, where does Elmonus rate his Miami interest?

“My interest in Miami definitely increased once they offered me,” Elmonus said. “A successful school always interests me. Success means they’re doing something right.”

After showing some serious development between his junior and senior seasons, Elmonus’ profile has begun to rise and he was recently ranked inside the top 400 overall on 247Sports’ newest ranking release this week. However, despite newfound interest from Miami, UVA, and UCF, Elmonus is maintaining his commitment to the Demon Deacons for now.

“Wake is definitely on top right now,” Elmonus said. “So, I am definitely leaning more towards Wake, but I feel like I would be cheating myself if I didn’t check all of my options.”

If the Canes are going to make a move, they’ll have to do it soon: Elmonus plans on signing in December with the rest of his classmates at A.C. Reynolds.

“I may take a visit (to Miami),” Elmonus said. “Everything has to happen soon if it is going to happen because my school is having the signings in December.”

In the end, the school that wins out for Elmonus will have impressed him with their educational programs.

“Academics is definitely important which was a big reason for why I chose Wake,” Elmonus said. “But Miami has some majors that probably have better programs than Wake that I’ve been interested in.”

Advertisement
Even a 3 star from North Carolina is upset because we offered late. LOL

Anyway, gimme that. We need bodies!

(possibly not dead)

Advertisement
Looks athletic and tall. Kind of like Jalen Goss from last year. Not an instant impact guy because of his weight but you can see the upside.

The Tre Johnson experience makes me a little wary, but this guy looks better. They are doing what they are supposed to do in terms of evaluating guys but it sucks to be in this position.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So question is we go out and offer this guy who has some measurables....question is, how does he compare to the local guys....seems stupid to reach far unless local 3-stars told us to kick rocks

Advertisement
Looks athletic and tall. Kind of like Jalen Goss from last year. Not an instant impact guy because of his weight but you can see the upside.

The Tre Johnson experience makes me a little wary, but this guy looks better. They are doing what they are supposed to do in terms of evaluating guys but it sucks to be in this position.
Correct DM on when he can contribute at 6-7/255-260 needs probably 2 years S&C to be a serious contributor.

Advertisement
Back