Canes Fans Not From South Florida

Not like with us though. There are probably only a hand full of schools (ND, USC, maybe Oregon more recently) that have the type of national following that we do. I mean I've lived in ATL, DC area, NC, and Tennessee, and in all those places I see tons of our gear. I see Canes in Baton Rouge, Louisiana whenever I visit there and the Tigers dominate the state of Louisiana in terms of following. We are literally everywhere! In fact, our attendance issue is an issue because we're a small school, in a bad stadium location, with a huge national following that doesn't travel.

Born on the south side of the Bull City; fell in love with my Canes in '83 at Wally Wade Stadium. Been a Cane ever since. Got on just as we were taking off and am forever grateful for the crazy success of our program over the course of many seasons. Just ridiculous what I've been privileged to witness...literally ridiculous.

More Canes fans outside Miami than Canes fans in Miami it seems. Even my U map seems to suggest the same. That's probably true with any school though.

Advertisement
Berkeley, California

Cal Grad but father of U Senior....became a big fan once I dropped the kid off 3+ years ago and have been to good games including UF game. Flying out for FSU game and was at Cincy game as well.

SF Giants season ticket holder: always wear U gear to the game. (I own plenty of it....)

Born in Pittsburgh, PA. My Cane fandom started as a little kid the night of the Fiesta Bowl because everyone else in my family was all PED State, and, frankly, I thought PSU was boring. I had no idea about the sport at that point, but man was I ever into that game and ****ing off my family. lol.

About 6 months later, I found out my family was moving to Miramar. My 1st questions were how close we would be to the OB and how many games I could go to each season.

A few years after that, we moved to Tampa and it was all FSU/UF at school. Yuck. I got crap for being a UM fan during the sanctions as the other schools were winning and magically gaining more fans. UM was my dream school for fb and academic-related reasons, so it was back to So. Florida for me after high school.

Then I moved back to Tampa, and I am now in the Silicon Valley. I'd love to see UM start a series with Stanford for purely selfish purposes.

That's my outside/inside/outside/inside/outside South Florida story. Or something like that. :neonu:

Advertisement
Have lived in VA most of my life (except for 3 years of law school at Miami), became a Canes fan at the age of 8 when my older brother was the first member of my family to go to college and went to the U.

LOL... Take a Guess..

From Colonia, NJ - Woodbridge,Edison,Rahway Area Exit 11 Turnpike -GSP Exit 131

Had friends that were Neb fans up here and the 83 ship made me a Fan.. then I got THAT letter from Erickson in Dec of 89 that talked about the walk on program.. LOL.... I was Hooked and A Fanatic!!!

Eventually Went to "UM"..... But it was the Univ. Of Maine.... oh yeah my Coach Kirk Freaking Ferentz.. Ugh

JC

Living in Savannah, GA (8 hours away) been a fan forever. Finally, financially able to go to a couple games a year. Saw the Savannah State game last year. This year went to Florida A&M and will be taking the wife and kids (who've never seen a live Cane game) to the FSU game. Oldest son is almost 4 and hopefully the tradition will continue.

Advertisement
Not like with us though. There are probably only a hand full of schools (ND, USC, maybe Oregon more recently) that have the type of national following that we do. I mean I've lived in ATL, DC area, NC, and Tennessee, and in all those places I see tons of our gear. I see Canes in Baton Rouge, Louisiana whenever I visit there and the Tigers dominate the state of Louisiana in terms of following. We are literally everywhere! In fact, our attendance issue is an issue because we're a small school, in a bad stadium location, with a huge national following that doesn't travel.

Born on the south side of the Bull City; fell in love with my Canes in '83 at Wally Wade Stadium. Been a Cane ever since. Got on just as we were taking off and am forever grateful for the crazy success of our program over the course of many seasons. Just ridiculous what I've been privileged to witness...literally ridiculous.

More Canes fans outside Miami than Canes fans in Miami it seems. Even my U map seems to suggest the same. That's probably true with any school though.

I was at that game too. A friend from UM undergrad was in grad school at Duke so I came down from NYC where I was living at the time to see us smash the Dukies. Had no idea what that team was about to accomplish.

Canes are not just nationwide. They are international!

The U 926.jpg

The U Map

Born and raised outside Philadelphia, PA but even growing up I disliked Ped St.

Moved to Florida and got my degree at UM, moved to Orlando, and been here 20 years. Right in the heart of Knights country, and some REAL obnoxious fans who think UCF would be in the ACC hunt every year if they were in conference...

Anderson, IN. 1991 Cotton Bowl, watched Randall Hill score a touchdown and shoot air guns. A Team that was better than yours and was not afraid to tell you, show you and rub it in your face in it, I was hooked.

Advertisement
I was born in Virginia and live in Virginia now but grew up in Ft Lauderdale. Went to Va Tech but still wore my Canes gear to every Tech vs Canes matchup in Blacksburg. My girlfriend used to hate me for it!

Ohio here. Bernie Kosar grew up in my hometown and lived down the street from my grandpa. Browns fan first, then started following the Hurricanes because of Bernie.

Advertisement
Kirjax--you did a good thing getting bloggers to become somewhat personal, impressive.

lol Wasn't my intention, just wanted to know where everyone was rooting for the Canes from. But it's been fun reading up on how everyone became Canes fans. Amazing how people growing up in other parts of the country become Canes fans.

Longtime reader, first time poster!

Possibly the only Irish Canes fan! If there is anyone out there from Ireland I'd love to hear from them!

I had no clue about American football until I started watching the 30 for 30's, came across the Miami doc and was hooked ever since. Hoped to get over to my first game this year but work has gotten in the way. Will definitely make it over next year, possibly for the spring game.

Being from Ireland, most people support soccer teams in England (Manchester United, Liverpool etc) - although I played soccer I could never understand how anyone could have an emotional connection to a team that represented a place that they weren't from. My view has totally changed since I started following the Canes. It's pi*sses me off when they lose, I am delighted when they win.

I can't wait for FSU next week - I hope a huge Miami support turns out to support the team, they have been fighting so hard over the past few games and they really deserve to feel the home field advantage! Go canes!!!!!

Born at Doctors right behind UM. Gables high then BA from UM.
Now Cocoa Beach but drag the family to all home games

Born and raised in Mid-Michigan, stuck in NW OH for grad school. Dad grew up in Cuba/Miami and raised me a Canes fan. I bleed green and orange. It's all about the U.

Advertisement
Back