Canes D since 2016

Stupidest argument I continue to see, we play in the same conference as Clemson. You can do this with any team.

These are the same offenses we continually stop that denofrio gave up 500 yards to.

The defense has been good to very good under Diaz and even last year. Every bit of data and analytics says so, stop with idiotic arguments.
People don’t take into account that holding is also legal against us lol

Advertisement
Idk why y’all get caught up in the numbers so much. The game isn’t won on the stat line. LSU won a title bc they made a few stops and just outscored everybody. All we need is timely stops and and turnovers. The offense will do plenty this year and the defense will get gashed occasionally. The situational plays will determine our success.

Say what you want about our overall numbers, and how bad the offense was, but we took leads in the 4th many times and lost bc we couldn’t get a timely stop.
What the stats don't show is how many times we make the tackles for loss and give up the 3rd and long. Often in the second half, frequently momentum turning. Average still look good.

We're close but we have to button that down and get off the field. Then watch how effective the defense becomes.

And it helps having a punter. If you lose 10 yards every change of possession while trading 3 and outs, eventually the defense is playing on their side of the field. Then anything can happen.

What the stats don't show is how many times we make the tackles for loss and give up the 3rd and long. Often in the second half, frequently momentum turning. Average still look good.

We're close but we have to button that down and get off the field. Then watch how effective the defense becomes.

And it helps having a punter. If you lose 10 yards every change of possession while trading 3 and outs, eventually the defense is playing on their side of the field. Then anything can happen.

Yep. I’m in no way hating on our defense. I mean they’re the only reason we made a bowl game last year, but we are not as good as the numbers show. And for that matter, our offense wasn’t as good as the numbers either. Someone said we were in the 70s lmao. We weren’t even top 100 IMO

Our defense in multiple years has has had the worst or close to the worst starting field position of any team in the country. From horrible offense , horrible punts etc. Whike having an o that has epic amounts of three and puts. No good defense has dealt with more than Miami . Yet they stay highly ranked.

So spare me on your little sos stat.

LMAO.

Yep. I’m in no way hating on our defense. I mean they’re the only reason we made a bowl game last year, but we are not as good as the numbers show. And for that matter, our offense wasn’t as good as the numbers either. Someone said we were in the 70s lmao. We weren’t even top 100 IMO
I was pretty much in agreement with you. Every year, the defense is a work in progress, most teams don't have the depth to plug people in like Bama.

Advertisement
View attachment 129319View attachment 129320

Let’s not do this.

SOS adjustments ranked our defense in the 40s in 2019. In 2017, as a 10 win team, we witnessed 3(?) separate QBs produce career best days against our defense. The photos are just an example of a Diaz defense not having to deal with offensive turnovers. Just simply getting his *** handed to him....

The first photo is the result of just the first half...

“Happens to every defense..” Sure. Now consider who we play against as well. It’s ok to demand better. It’s not like we’re facing a 2019 LSU schedule.

And. We’re Miami.
Clemson’s 2018 defense was #1 in the nation. And South Carolina’s mediocre offense was 57th in 2018. That was our point earlier - in this era, that happens to everyone, even the most dominant defense of the last half decade. You can find games like this on all the top defenses’ resumes. It’s a different era now.

1599421133033.png

What the stats show us is that Miami Defense in the Diaz era has been consistently top 10-15, but the offense has been so atrociously bad on the other side of the spectrum that is has completely knocked us off balance.

If you're arguing that Miami's Defense hasn't been elite or been a complete shutdown Defense, well yeah of course not... How on Earth could we be, we don't have the same talent Defensively that programs like Bama, Clemson, Oh St & LSU have as far as annual top tier NFL draft picks on Defense, but guess what, even with all that talent none of those programs have Elite shutdown Defense either. Literally every single one of them get gashed multiple times a year giving up well over 400+ yards, the difference is their offenses don't compound the problem & make it even more different on them. LSU's Defense was not great last year, their historic season wasn't because they had a suffocating Defense that shut everyone down, they simply outgunned everybody & scored a shìt ton of points & produced astronomical yardage offensively, all their Defense really did was create key turnovers.

Miami's Defense is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination & no one has ever argued it was, there are several areas they need to improve on, however what cannot be argued is they are good enough for us to be an above .500 team & the numbers show that. There is no question what the main crux of our problems has been since 2017 & it's as clear as day it's the Offense.

Nitpicking the Defense is a CIS custom, but the reality is if we had a halfway decent Offense over the last 2 years we don't go 7-6 & 6-7, with a semi-functional offense that isn't from the 90's we at our very worst would've been a back to back 9 win team in 2018 & 2019, 2018 especially. I mean look no further than the infamous UVA game, that was arguably the best Defensive performance of the entire Diaz era even including the Notre Lame beat down, we were insanely ironclad strong & had completely shut them down, all we needed was an offense that wasn't mentally handicapped & we beat them soundly. But we couldn't do basic Peewee level play execution & put together a drive to save our lives & suffered from burnt out Richt play calling & that God forsaken Onside Kick (still can't believe he did that smh lol), but the point is, just an offense slightly above being the worst ever in school history & we win more games.

That's all the offense has to be, just don't be the worst of all-time & we'll win a lot more...

NEVER FORGET; Enox's offense last year was 73rd in scoring, 76th in yards per play, 127th in sacks allowed & 121st in Red Zone scoring... Just have an offense in the top 50 in any of those categories & we won't suck, that's a fact.

Clemson’s 2018 defense was #1 in the nation. And South Carolina’s mediocre offense was 57th in 2018. That was our point earlier - in this era, that happens to everyone, even the most dominant defense of the last half decade. You can find games like this on all the top defenses’ resumes. It’s a different era now.

View attachment 129326

Exactly my point. We can play this game with everyone

What the stats show us is that Miami Defense in the Diaz era has been consistently top 10-15, but the offense has been so atrociously bad on the other side of the spectrum that is has completely knocked us off balance.

If you're arguing that Miami's Defense hasn't been elite or been a complete shutdown Defense, well yeah of course not... How on Earth could we be, we don't have the same talent Defensively that programs like Bama, Clemson, Oh St & LSU have as far as annual top tier NFL draft picks on Defense, but guess what, even with all that talent none of those programs have Elite shutdown Defense either. Literally every single one of them get gashed multiple times a year giving up well over 400+ yards, the difference is their offenses don't compound the problem & make it even more different on them. LSU's Defense was not great last year, their historic season wasn't because they had a suffocating Defense that shut everyone down, they simply outgunned everybody & scored a shìt ton of points & produced astronomical yardage offensively, all their Defense really did was create key turnovers.

Miami's Defense is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination & no one has ever argued it was, there are several areas they need to improve on, however what cannot be argued is they are good enough for us to be an above .500 team & the numbers show that. There is no question what the main crux of our problems has been since 2017 & it's as clear as day it's the Offense.

Nitpicking the Defense is a CIS custom, but the reality is if we had a halfway decent Offense over the last 2 years we don't go 7-6 & 6-7, with a semi-functional offense that isn't from the 90's we at our very worst would've been a back to back 9 win team in 2018 & 2019, 2018 especially. I mean look no further than the infamous UVA game, that was arguably the best Defensive performance of the entire Diaz era even including the Notre Lame beat down, we were insanely ironclad strong & had completely shut them down, all we needed was an offense that wasn't mentally handicapped & we beat them soundly. But we couldn't do basic Peewee level play execution & put together a drive to save our lives & suffered from burnt out Richt play calling & that God forsaken Onside Kick (still can't believe he did that smh lol), but the point is, just an offense slightly above being the worst ever in school history & we win more games.

That's all the offense has to be, just don't be the worst of all-time & we'll win a lot more...

NEVER FORGET; Enox's offense last year was 73rd in scoring, 76th in yards per play, 127th in sacks allowed & 121st in Red Zone scoring... Just have an offense in the top 50 in any of those categories & we won't suck, that's a fact.
Richts last year we had a horrible offense and punter and last year horrible offensive and kicker.defense should be the least of our worries, we been more than solid last 4 years and this year i think will be the best defensive year of the diaz era.a solid offense,special teams could help out the defensive,plus i think this is the most talent defensive depth since diaz been here.no more excuses 11-0 lets f go

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm on both sides of the fence.

The defense is good enough to win most games if we actually had an offense. I'll give it that.

Forget the "what good offenses have we played" argument.
We have made WAY TOO MANY mediocre QB's look good over the last few years. Let's not forget...
UVA's QB looking like Dan Marino.
VT's QB looking like Mike Vick and their TE having a career day.
Clemson's QB started the game like 17/17 passing.

For crying out loud, we failed to stop Wisconsin's offense TWO YEARS IN A ROW. Their OC made Diaz his bi!tch. What's even worse, one year they beat us THROWING THE FORWARD PASS. Thier fvckin' QB was out there looking like Aaron Rodgers. Wisconsin doesn't even throw the ball well!

And how many times have we seen teams like Duke put up better defensive performances against common opponents?

Fvkcin' FIU scored 30 points and their RB had over 100 yards. FIU!
I don't give a **** how poorly your offense plays. IT'S FIU!
You win that game 6-3 if you have to!

The D basically needs two things to run at a high level: a couple dominant guys on the line and two stud safeties. We all saw it work in 2017 with Norton/McIntosh and Johnson/Redwine. Didn't quite have the guys on the line and definitely didn't have the safeties last year. This season Phillips/Roche should prove to be pretty dominant, especially if Nesta and Ford step it up a notch. Safeties have the talent (especially Bubba) but it still remains to be seen.

Thing is, we're stacking talent at S and DE, which should ultimately move us into that upper echelon of consistent top 10 defenses. Given how atrocious the offense has been (and special teams!), anyone knocking the D is completely insane.
The 2017 defense was statistically the worst defense since Diaz has been here. Most of those games where the opposing team’s quarterback went HAM were in 2017. Because Miami won most of those games people tend to forget. I still have nightmares of Zach McCloud chasing slot receivers all over the field. There’s a reason they switched to a 4-2-5 after that season.

Last edited:
I'm on both sides of the fence.

The defense is good enough to win most games if we actually had an offense. I'll give it that.

Forget the "what good offenses have we played" argument.
We have made WAY TOO MANY mediocre QB's look good over the last few years. Let's not forget...
UVA's QB looking like Dan Marino.
VT's QB looking like Mike Vick and their TE having a career day.
Clemson's QB started the game like 17/17 passing.

For crying out loud, we failed to stop Wisconsin's offense TWO YEARS IN A ROW. Their OC made Diaz his bi!tch. What's even worse, one year they beat us THROWING THE FORWARD PASS. Thier fvckin' QB was out there looking like Aaron Rodgers. Wisconsin doesn't even throw the ball well!

And how many times have we seen teams like Duke put up better defensive performances against common opponents?

Fvkcin' FIU scored 30 points and their RB had over 100 yards. FIU!
I don't give a **** how poorly your offense plays. IT'S FIU!
You win that game 6-3 if you have to!
Thanks for keeping it real. Defense is good but we gotta stop the "elite D" talk.

Last edited:
View attachment 129319View attachment 129320

Let’s not do this.

SOS adjustments ranked our defense in the 40s in 2019. In 2017, as a 10 win team, we witnessed 3(?) separate QBs produce career best days against our defense. The photos are just an example of a Diaz defense not having to deal with offensive turnovers. Just simply getting his *** handed to him....

The first photo is the result of just the first half...

“Happens to every defense..” Sure. Now consider who we play against as well. It’s ok to demand better. It’s not like we’re facing a 2019 LSU schedule.

And. We’re Miami.

Post your source. I look at all the stats and haven't seen us ranked in the 40s on D anywhere.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back