Canes D since 2016

Advertisement
CFB has changed. Defenses that have a propensity to force negative plays and turnovers every few drives are considered solid. It’s just too **** difficult to expect your defense to torpedo every drive and hold the opposition to under 20 points a game.

Don’t see anything wrong on the defensive side of the ball. And we win, and do so in convincing fashion, then the 2021 recruiting class stays intact bringing with it 2-5* players that will only kick the defense up to further notches. I’d say we get a Top 25 offense out of Lashlee; then we’re sitting pretty come the end of the season.

The D basically needs two things to run at a high level: a couple dominant guys on the line and two stud safeties. We all saw it work in 2017 with Norton/McIntosh and Johnson/Redwine. Didn't quite have the guys on the line and definitely didn't have the safeties last year. This season Phillips/Roche should prove to be pretty dominant, especially if Nesta and Ford step it up a notch. Safeties have the talent (especially Bubba) but it still remains to be seen.

Thing is, we're stacking talent at S and DE, which should ultimately move us into that upper echelon of consistent top 10 defenses. Given how atrocious the offense has been (and special teams!), anyone knocking the D is completely insane.

Advertisement
I'd be interested in seeing Points per play OR Yards per play.

Not trying to play devils advocated, but those stats tell a more full story. Now I think this defense is way better then past years (i.e., Goldie and Shannon), also our offense have been pretty slow moving as well.
Nonetheless, if you asked me which defense I'd rather have the past 4 years ours or LSU's I'd take LSU's.
Since 2016, our defense is 4th in yards per play.

1599409188851.png

Idk why y’all get caught up in the numbers so much. The game isn’t won on the stat line. LSU won a title bc they made a few stops and just outscored everybody. All we need is timely stops and and turnovers. The offense will do plenty this year and the defense will get gashed occasionally. The situational plays will determine our success.

Say what you want about our overall numbers, and how bad the offense was, but we took leads in the 4th many times and lost bc we couldn’t get a timely stop.

The defense was alright, but the offense was putrid. Nowhere close to a dominant defense, something we've been spoiled with in the past.

Advertisement
Since 2016, our defense is 4th in yards per play.

View attachment 129304
Nice and Point Per Play, happen to have that one? More then happy to see the awesome results.
I think football is a combination of statistics and talent, but there are just so many variables.

Terrible PPP and have umpteenth turnovers and that all goes out the window.

Yeah I wouldn’t consider our defense elite either, but seems like we’re close. Was mentioned before in this thread, many fans still think of elite defenses from the 80s/90s/early 00s. Those days are gone. It’s a new era with teams regularly averaging 40+ points a game (highlighting even further how far behind our offense has been). If you’re holding teams to 18 pts/game, that’s elite now. Even the way defense is played now has changed. LBs and DTs are no longer the stars - it’s more about versatile, athletic DBs who can play in space and a dominant pass rush.

Yeah I wouldn’t consider our defense elite either, but seems like we’re close. Was mentioned before in this thread, many fans still think of elite defenses from the 80s/90s/early 00s. Those days are gone. It’s a new era with teams regularly averaging 40+ points a game (highlighting even further how far behind our offense has been). If you’re holding teams to 18 pts/game, that’s elite now. Even the way defense is played now has changed. LBs and DTs are no longer the stars - it’s more about versatile, athletic DBs who can play in space and a dominant pass rush.
This. People are disappointed when we don't "shut down" good offenses. Nobody does that in this era of college football. It's no longer realistic.

Idk why y’all get caught up in the numbers so much. The game isn’t won on the stat line. LSU won a title bc they made a few stops and just outscored everybody. All we need is timely stops and and turnovers. The offense will do plenty this year and the defense will get gashed occasionally. The situational plays will determine our success.

Say what you want about our overall numbers, and how bad the offense was, but we took leads in the 4th many times and lost bc we couldn’t get a timely stop.
Yup, that’s basically what college football is now. Get a few stops here or there and rely on your offense to win you the game.

Advertisement
Please name the really good offenses Miami has shut down? ND 2017 maybe. Have not exactly played the greatest competition especially last season. Could stop Wisconsin.

Stupidest argument I continue to see, we play in the same conference as Clemson. You can do this with any team.

These are the same offenses we continually stop that denofrio gave up 500 yards to.

The defense has been good to very good under Diaz and even last year. Every bit of data and analytics says so, stop with idiotic arguments.

This. People are disappointed when we don't "shut down" good offenses. Nobody does that in this era of college football. It's no longer realistic.

The mighty 01 canes d would have multiple bad games a year in today’s game , **** one dimensional running qb’s busted our asses at times back then. Typical um fans stuck in the past can’t understand you can’t shut people down anymore. You have to bend and give up some things. The spread offenses makes reads easier ,playing in space that spreads the d thin , no huddle that wears them down and everyone has a dual threat guy that can actually pass. Then mix in all the rules are built for the offense, you play with one hand behind your back on d now.

Lining up and running cover 2 all game and out talenting people is dead. It’s quite impressive what the d has done.

Last edited:
Advertisement
C9EE0E82-FBF5-4F89-BC02-9E0184872B4B.jpeg
9D8E0635-6DC6-45F4-B991-00C216A906E8.jpeg

Let’s not do this.

SOS adjustments ranked our defense in the 40s in 2019. In 2017, as a 10 win team, we witnessed 3(?) separate QBs produce career best days against our defense. The photos are just an example of a Diaz defense not having to deal with offensive turnovers. Just simply getting his *** handed to him....

The first photo is the result of just the first half...

“Happens to every defense..” Sure. Now consider who we play against as well. It’s ok to demand better. It’s not like we’re facing a 2019 LSU schedule.

And. We’re Miami.

Stupidest argument I continue to see, we play in the same conference as Clemson. You can do this with any team.

These are the same offenses we continually stop that denofrio gave up 500 yards to.

The defense has been good to very good under Diaz and even last year. Every bit of data and analytics says so, stop with idiotic arguments.

Duh isn’t our barometer.

View attachment 129319View attachment 129320

Let’s not do this.

SOS adjustments ranked our defense in the 40s in 2019. In 2017, as a 10 win team, we witnessed 3(?) separate QBs produce career best days against our defense. The photos are just an example of a Diaz defense not having to deal with offensive turnovers. Just simply getting his *** handed to him....

The first photo is the result of just the first half...

“Happens to every defense..” Sure. Now consider who we play against as well. It’s ok to demand better. It’s not like we’re facing a 2019 LSU schedule.

And. We’re Miami.

Lmao.

Duh isn’t our barometer.

Our defense in multiple years has has had the worst or close to the worst starting field position of any team in the country. From horrible offense , horrible punts etc. Whike having an o that has epic amounts of three and puts. No good defense has dealt with more than Miami . Yet they stay highly ranked.

So spare me on your little sos stat.

Advertisement
Back