Canes D since 2016

AllAboutTheU13

Sophomore
Was interested to see where the Canes ranked in scoring defense since Diaz arrived in 2016:

1599339347999.png

Advertisement
Offense we are probably 61st.

Highest drafted player in the Diaz era is Chad Thomas, a 3rd rounder. He was just released today.

We have had solid talent not elite talent.

3rd-1
4th-3
5th-3
6th-2
7th-3

Same time frame:

Ohio State has had 8 first rounders.
Alabama has had 7 first rounders, Clemson has had 5 first rounders.

Last edited:
Interesting but not surprising. Factor in the offense has done them no favors in terms of being put in advantageous situations and this is really impressive. No evidence to believe the defense won’t continue to be “good” at a minimum. The challenge now becomes to take the next step and enter “elite” territory (top 10).

Highest drafted player in the Diaz era is Chad Thomas, a 3rd rounder. He was just released today.

3rd-1
4th-3
5th-3
6th-2
7th-3

Same time frame:

The market speaks. 👆

Advertisement

3rd-1
4th-3
5th-3
6th-2
7th-3

Same time frame:

Yeah you’d think our defense would move into the top 10 if we can start getting top 10 recruiting classes.

Was interested to see where the Canes ranked in scoring defense since Diaz arrived in 2016:
I'd be interested in seeing Points per play OR Yards per play.

Not trying to play devils advocated, but those stats tell a more full story. Now I think this defense is way better then past years (i.e., Goldie and Shannon), also our offense have been pretty slow moving as well.
Nonetheless, if you asked me which defense I'd rather have the past 4 years ours or LSU's I'd take LSU's.

Advertisement
I'd be interested in seeing Points per play OR Yards per play.

Not trying to play devils advocated, but those stats tell a more full story. Now I think this defense is way better then past years (i.e., Goldie and Shannon), also our offense have been pretty slow moving as well.
Nonetheless, if you asked me which defense I'd rather have the past 4 years ours or LSU's I'd take LSU's.
I know it was the cool thing to knock the defense all offseason but you might be surprised looking up those numbers, especially ypp.. Numbers were solid last year but the year before were dam near elite, like rare air that only clemson could compete with. Off top of head the year before that was really good too and had tons of turnovers included. Defense has been solid since Diaz has been here, we might have gotten spoiled quick lol

love to match those stats with corresponding opponents' average starting yard-line on offense. Hard to hold on when your offense constantly "3-and-outs" and your defense constantly has its backs against the wall. Mix in a few shanked punts and turnovers...

View attachment 129248
Pretty great when you consider that the offense has made the D practically play with one hand tied behind their back with constant 3 and outs, crap field position, short breaks between series. The D, with an already probation-affected roster, has been on the field way more than they deserve.

Advertisement
Please name the really good offenses Miami has shut down? ND 2017 maybe. Have not exactly played the greatest competition especially last season. Could stop Wisconsin.
You can play that stupid game with any team..

How is clemson defense so great when they play similar ACC teams offense??

outside of TAMU( manzel years) and LSU last year Bama doesn’t play “top” offenses

Advertisement
1.3 points separate us from the top 10. Even #3 on there is less than a field goal away. Have an offense with a pulse and it could easily be top 5. And this is without much NFL caliber talent. Recruiting's been solid lately, so I wouldn't nitpick too much on D.

On the flipside, we could regress on scoring D and still have a much better record and overall defense solely due to the fact the offense moves quickly and will create more possessions for the other team. Point being, the D has not been the issue the past 4 years. To base judgment on a single play or two a game is silly. The games should've never come down to that point if we had an offense with a pulse.

Last edited:
I know it was the cool thing to knock the defense all offseason but you might be surprised looking up those numbers, especially ypp.. Numbers were solid last year but the year before were dam near elite, like rare air that only clemson could compete with. Off top of head the year before that was really good too and had tons of turnovers included. Defense has been solid since Diaz has been here, we might have gotten spoiled quick lol
Then dam, sign me up!

Advertisement
Back