Canes bs Hoos, Game 2 - 3pm, ACCNNEX

So since we don’t care as much about baseball as football do we fly a banner on a drone ? Or stick it on a used van and drive around CG’s?
All of those would be welcome. It would be greatly appreciated if the football crew kicked in for a proper plane and a banner. To see that flying over the Light would make my day.

Advertisement
No argument necessary with that. I agree. My issue would be putting that on rad at this early stage. #1 it happened with Mandy and that was just connections not even daddy's money & #2 baseball is JUST now getting close to being able to compete with the disadvantages they've been playing with. He had a great class if he didn't lose so much to the draft. I get every one deals with that same issue but here it's always seemed like a bigger issue since Jim left honestly even his last few seasons. Gino seems to me like he won't cut it long term. But I'd give him about 2 more seasons to know for sure.
Gino has been the de facto head of this team for at least the last 6 years, and JD the pitching for 23 years. I have no idea what 2 more years is going to do for them.

Gino has been the de facto head of this team for at least the last 6 years, and JD the pitching for 23 years. I have no idea what 2 more years is going to do for them.
While I'm all for holding coaches and players accountable I often wonder when it's known by the majority the disadvantages that are in place not just for the sport but far more for universities that are pretty costly. Jd I'm not sure I'd argue for the dude. I've known jd since I came for a visit my last year in high school and he was friends with a few of our players. He's a genuinely great dude. BUT maybe the game has passed him by at this point. However when it relates to baseball you also have to acknowledge the fact there's only 11 total scholarships yearly to distribute among the entire team. Upwards of 40 dudes all splitting 11 scholarships. When tuition costs as much as It does with us that's what's called a MAJOR disadvantage to most schools. The reason I said two more years is due to the fact that now nil can even our disadvantages out to where it's a semi even playing field POTENTIALLY. I'm still not crazy about his management skills & how often he's out managed and the mistakes that are common on the base path. The errors we commit on the field, Etc. But that's my reason for saying 2 more years.

Final line on Rosario: 4.1 IP, 5 runs, 5 ER 10.48 ERA 8 hits 5 BB’s 3 K’s and WP for good measure. WHIP was 3.17. Had some bad defense behind him for sure, but this is just atrocious.

No argument necessary with that. I agree. My issue would be putting that on rad at this early stage. #1 it happened with Mandy and that was just connections not even daddy's money & #2 baseball is JUST now getting close to being able to compete with the disadvantages they've been playing with. He had a great class if he didn't lose so much to the draft. I get every one deals with that same issue but here it's always seemed like a bigger issue since Jim left honestly even his last few seasons. Gino seems to me like he won't cut it long term. But I'd give him about 2 more seasons to know for sure.
Baseball is just now getting to the point of being able to compete??? We have four national titles and had a 44 year postseason streak. If you’re going to make excuses, at least have an idea what you are talking about.

We were Duke basketball. We didn’t have to try to catch up to everyone. We were elite.

Were.

Advertisement
While I'm all for holding coaches and players accountable I often wonder when it's known by the majority the disadvantages that are in place not just for the sport but far more for universities that are pretty costly. Jd I'm not sure I'd argue for the dude. I've known jd since I came for a visit my last year in high school and he was friends with a few of our players. He's a genuinely great dude. BUT maybe the game has passed him by at this point. However when it relates to baseball you also have to acknowledge the fact there's only 11 total scholarships yearly to distribute among the entire team. Upwards of 40 dudes all splitting 11 scholarships. When tuition costs as much as It does with us that's what's called a MAJOR disadvantage to most schools. The reason I said two more years is due to the fact that now nil can even our disadvantages out to where it's a semi even playing field POTENTIALLY. I'm still not crazy about his management skills & how often he's out managed and the mistakes that are common on the base path. The errors we commit on the field, Etc. But that's my reason for saying 2 more years.
Ah, the trusty old scholarship excuse.

We’ve had top 5 recruiting classes. The players have made it to campus. Why haven’t we seen top 5 results?

Funny how we’ve always been an expensive private school, but the downfall began right when Jim had his personal issues and Gino came in to run things. In 2008 we were the #1 seed. By 2012 we were getting embarrassed in home regional games.

Baseball is just now getting to the point of being able to compete??? We have four national titles and had a 44 year postseason streak. If you’re going to make excuses, at least have an idea what you are talking about.

We were Duke basketball. We didn’t have to try to catch up to everyone. We were elite.

Were.
I'm more than aware what our history is. And I'm also aware it wasn't with Gino being hired that we slid into this. I don't know why all this has transpired but I remember listening to coach Morris talk about different ways to approach that issue. Gino dimare isn't any part of Jim Morris. But the baseball program didn't become this bad once Gino got here. Health issues or not it started under Morris

I'm more than aware what our history is. And I'm also aware it wasn't with Gino being hired that we slid into this. I don't know why all this has transpired but I remember listening to coach Morris talk about different ways to approach that issue. Gino dimare isn't any part of Jim Morris. But the baseball program didn't become this bad once Gino got here. Health issues or not it started under Morris
The program has continued to attract top 5 recruiting classes year after year despite the “private school handicap”. Gyno apprenticed under Morris. Gyno is the HC now. Ergo, the problem is Gyno. Unless you’re suggesting something intangible like a curse underpinning the program, it’s simply deductive reasoning to determine what the issue is.

Advertisement
The program has continued to attract top 5 recruiting classes year after year despite the “private school handicap”. Gyno apprenticed under Morris. Gyno is the HC now. Ergo, the problem is Gyno. Unless you’re suggesting something intangible like a curse underpinning the program, it’s simply deductive reasoning to determine what the issue is.
Maybe I'm wrong because I don't pay A LOT of attention. But from what I've noticed and we've gone through for the longest, we get those big classes. BUT how often do the top kids that we get ever ACTUALLY MAKE IT TO CAMPUS. From what I noticed we lose the top end recruits that we sign basically every year to the draft. Like I said I don't pay a lot of attention anymore. But am I wrong in My thinking that that's still what's occurring?

Maybe I'm wrong because I don't pay A LOT of attention. But from what I've noticed and we've gone through for the longest, we get those big classes. BUT how often do the top kids that we get ever ACTUALLY MAKE IT TO CAMPUS. From what I noticed we lose the top end recruits that we sign basically every year to the draft. Like I said I don't pay a lot of attention anymore. But am I wrong in My thinking that that's still what's occurring?
Yes. All the top recruiting classes lose players to the draft every year. It’s part of the deal.

Under Morris yes. Gino has done a great job of getting his top guys on campus… unfortunately the results haven’t followed

Development. Physically, mentally, etc. Very few seem to be getting better or smarter for that matter.

If anything it seems too many regress on top of just not knowing the game. Baserunning, approach, etc.

We have enough talent to win the Acc, host a regional, and then get to a Super every other year(college baseball has changed too so Omaha or bust isn’t realistic for any school every year but every 2-3 years would be a good goal). The threat to make every year should be there though.

Advertisement
Under Morris yes. Gino has done a great job of getting his top guys on campus… unfortunately the results haven’t followed
And in particular we seemingly were lucky with the COVID year that we got Yoyo, Rosario, and Mederos. Gino is well on his way to squandering getting the number one recruiting class to campus.

We can't beat the best teams under Gino. We are underachieving with the roster he has, and has had.

But the baseball program didn't become this bad once Gino got here. Health issues or not it started under Morris

You just inadvertently admitted that there is a problem beyond "high tuition".

We agree that it started under Morris. He retired about 8 years before he retired. The problem, though, is that DiMare was in charge that whole time. The missed regionals, home regional losses, that stuff happened while Gino was the hitting coach, recruiting coordinator, and de facto head coach. And the problems that started then continue to plague the program today.

Advertisement
You just inadvertently admitted that there is a problem beyond "high tuition".

We agree that it started under Morris. He retired about 8 years before he retired. The problem, though, is that DiMare was in charge that whole time. The missed regionals, home regional losses, that stuff happened while Gino was the hitting coach, recruiting coordinator, and de facto head coach. And the problems that started then continue to plague the program today.
It wasn't inadvertent. I'm perfectly aware there's a bigger root problem than that. I'm not involved in any part of the baseball program so I don't know what goes on in house any longer. When I was there our programs did ALOT of activities together for awhile and intermingled often. Then their was some issues between players at both programs and none of us were allowed near each other anymore. I'm not saying Gino is the answer at all. I'm saying his father and all these years he's put in to help us get where we are and where we've been deserves more than simply walk in and fire everybody. If Gino is the reason our hitting is so **** for all these years that's an issue that needs to be addressed. Same with jd. Just don't clean house day 1 especially when it's not house money that's footing that tab. For me like I said I don't know what the problems are in house because I keep my distance. But I know one of them and a significant one is the scholarship issue.

It wasn't inadvertent. I'm perfectly aware there's a bigger root problem than that. I'm not involved in any part of the baseball program so I don't know what goes on in house any longer. When I was there our programs did ALOT of activities together for awhile and intermingled often. Then their was some issues between players at both programs and none of us were allowed near each other anymore. I'm not saying Gino is the answer at all. I'm saying his father and all these years he's put in to help us get where we are and where we've been deserves more than simply walk in and fire everybody. If Gino is the reason our hitting is so **** for all these years that's an issue that needs to be addressed. Same with jd. Just don't clean house day 1 especially when it's not house money that's footing that tab. For me like I said I don't know what the problems are in house because I keep my distance. But I know one of them and a significant one is the scholarship issue.

Well, we are far from "day 1". Gino has been on the staff since 2012. And we're a middling #17-32 type program year after year after year. NIL money isn't going to teach players how to run bases or that putting the ball in play with a man on 3rd is important. Those are philosophical issues.

Dee, I love what u’ve done for the University as an ambassador both as a player & alum. I know u’re more tapped in than many of us; however, I am a bit perplexed by the statement of the disadvantages that face this program in regards to sports.

Can you expound on what disadvantages that have plagued us as opposed to a Duke, WF, UVA, etc? One minute I hear the that the team was unable to keep up w/ the big boys due to financial constraints, & the next I’m told by multiple sources this program have never had a financial issue. It’s not like we’re recruiting in the top 50 in either FB or Baseball; we’re out recruiting at both programs than the vast majority of our foes in the ACC. I may be naive, blind, or just missing something, but it appears most of these disadvantages have come from self infliction incompetence, coupled w/ nepotism & cronyism.

Every team is at 11.7, some are better at managing and circumventing that issue. Miami is a very attractive location for college baseball players.

The issue is coaching. Putting aside how nice Gino, JD, Norberto are, I have nothing personal against them, they aren't Coach Fraser, or Skip Bertman, or Jim/Laser/Turtle et al. Many of us know, because many of us lived through those years.

Advertisement
Back