Canes bs Convicts Game 3 1pm ACCNX

Maybe I worded that all wrong. I absolutely would not start Rosario in game 1. As @scane said, it should be Ligon game 1 and Palm game 2. My only point was that IF Gino was crazy enough to start Rosario in a regional, his best chance at any type of success would probably be in game 1 against a 4 seed
Well, I disagree. He pitched well in his Las 4-5 starts. He pitched well at GT. He pitched very well against VT where our other starters got shelled. So, he has the ability to pitch well against the best hitting teams.

As @scane pointed out, in games Rosario started, the team is 8-3 and 7-2 removing the game he got injured. He's not pitching deep enough to get more wins.

He has the goods. He struggles with the mental side of the game not getting past 5 innings. He's going to give us 4 good innings and that's what Gino will plan for. He basically said that when interviewed during the game at FSU whern Rosariowas pitching.

Pitching Rosario against a #4 would be a waste. We'd wind up Pitching Garland against a 2 or 3 seed and I wouldn't go there. Rosario has pitched every Sunday for a reason. Gino hasn't replaced him. You don't make one of the bullpen guys a starter if you haven't done it all season especially at the end of the regular season.

So, there are only 2 options. Garland is the 4th starter or you pitch by committee in 2 of the 4 games because Rosario isn't going to go beyond 5 innings. If he does, then that's a big bonus.

Lastly, who is going to replace Rosario that you know can give 4+ solid innings?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Regionals are double elimination. You're going to play 4 games and maybe have to play 5. The only way a team is playing 3 games is if they lose at least 2 of them and going home.

Let's say we go 3-0 in our regional including a win over Florida and Florida is 2-1. We would play them again in game #4 where they'd have to win to force a game #5.

We will have Florida in our regional unless they host. It's very likely one of us goes 3-0. In either case we would face them 2 and maybe 3 times in the regional.
If you win your first three games in a regional, it’s over. You win. Go look at a four team bracket.

Regionals are double elimination. You're going to play 4 games and maybe have to play 5. The only way a team is playing 3 games is if they lose at least 2 of them and going home.

Let's say we go 3-0 in our regional including a win over Florida and Florida is 2-1. We would play them again in game #4 where they'd have to win to force a game #5.

We will have Florida in our regional unless they host. It's very likely one of us goes 3-0. In either case we would face them 2 and maybe 3 times in the regional.
Let me know when you’ve found it. We should plan for three starters, period.

Well, I disagree. He pitched well in his Las 4-5 starts. He pitched well at GT. He pitched very well against VT where our other starters got shelled. So, he has the ability to pitch well against the best hitting teams.

As @scane pointed out, in games Rosario started, the team is 8-3 and 7-2 removing the game he got injured. He's not pitching deep enough to get more wins.

He has the goods. He struggles with the mental side of the game not getting past 5 innings. He's going to give us 4 good innings and that's what Gino will plan for. He basically said that when interviewed during the game at FSU whern Rosariowas pitching.

Pitching Rosario against a #4 would be a waste. We'd wind up Pitching Garland against a 2 or 3 seed and I wouldn't go there. Rosario has pitched every Sunday for a reason. Gino hasn't replaced him. You don't make one of the bullpen guys a starter if you haven't done it all season especially at the end of the regular season.

So, there are only 2 options. Garland is the 4th starter or you pitch by committee in 2 of the 4 games because Rosario isn't going to go beyond 5 innings. If he does, then that's a big bonus.
I can certainly appreciate your well thought out point of view. We can agree to disagree on Rosario. My only rebuttal would be that it seems like whenever someone is on the pro-Rosario side they always seem to go back to the “he has the goods… but” and then it goes into the mental side of his game. Well, that’s a huge part of being a successful pitcher. Especially in the post season. You can’t just brush that off to the side. Would you trust him not to meltdown in a win or go home game?

This is wrong. If you go 2-0, game 3 is already against a team that has lost once, so you win game 3 and it’s over.

Advertisement
I can certainly appreciate your well thought out point of view. We can agree to disagree on Rosario. My only rebuttal would be that it seems like whenever someone is on the pro-Rosario side they always seem to go back to the “he has the goods… but” and then it goes into the mental side of his game. Well, that’s a huge part of being a successful pitcher. Especially in the post season. You can’t just brush that off to the side. Would you trust him not to meltdown in a win or go home game?
I appreciate your viewpoint. Rosario pitches well for 4 innings. That's the bottom line. He can do that against anyone.

Quiet frankly I think he would struggle with any team beyond 4-5 innings so, I think he should pitch where we can get the biggest bang.

I appreciate your viewpoint. Rosario pitches well for 4 innings. That's the bottom line. He can do that against anyone.

Quiet frankly I think he would struggle with any team beyond 4-5 innings so, I think he should pitch where we can get the biggest bang.
That’s fair. 4 innings and let the bullpen take over. I like it. Hopefully that’s the way Gino plays it and doesn’t wait until the meltdown to make a move. I don’t care if he’s throwing a no hitter thru 4. That’s it.

Advertisement
That’s fair. 4 innings and let the bullpen take over. I like it. Hopefully that’s the way Gino plays it and doesn’t wait until the meltdown to make a move. I don’t care if he’s throwing a no hitter thru 4. That’s it.
You have the bullpen warming. You let Rosario continue past 4 until he gets base runners. You really want this young man to break thru. It would be awesome if that happened in the post season.

Gino said that Rosario pitches well, but doesn't handle adversity well. He said he watches Rosario's body language closely so things don't get out of hand (paraphrasing).

Last edited:

What evidence is there that Rosario pitches well for four innings? There are two full seasons now of data to draw from. He was bad last year and way worse this year. Baseball can quantify individual performance better than most any other team game. It doesn’t matter what his “stuff” is, or if he’s struggling with the mental aspect of the game, etc. That’s for the coaches to decide if he’s still a viable part of the team going forward. Right now, with the post-season staring the team in the face, he’s a terrible option. Basically, if he is a good pitcher, why doesn’t he pitch well? (7.24 ERA and a 1.84 WHIP for ‘22 if you’re wondering.)

What evidence is there that Rosario pitches well for four innings? There are two full seasons now of data to draw from. He was bad last year and way worse this year. Baseball can quantify individual performance better than most any other team game. It doesn’t matter what his “stuff” is, or if he’s struggling with the mental aspect of the game, etc. That’s for the coaches to decide if he’s still a viable part of the team going forward. Right now, with the post-season staring the team in the face, he’s a terrible option. Basically, if he is a good pitcher, why doesn’t he pitch well? (7.24 ERA and a 1.84 WHIP for ‘22 if you’re wondering.)
All of you have valid points. His ERA in his last four starts is 5.00 but the WHIP is still bad at 2.11 (and far too many HBP). If you take just the first three innings into account, his ERA in those 4 starts is 2.25.

The coaches know and see this as well, so, why not let him go 3 innings as an opener and then don't send him back out to start the 4th? I agree you should be able to let him go until he allows a base-runner in his last inning started, but Gino rarely has such a quick hook.

Advertisement
First of all, we're all here on the CIS message board to give our opinions. Of course it's the coaches decision.
For evidence we got wins when Rosario pitched against UVA, GT, VT, and ND. All the top hitting teams in the ACC. He just didn't get through 5 in some them to qualify for the win. Against VT and GT he was our only win. At VT and GT, his era was 2 or less.

He just needs to break through mentally to get past 5 innings. He can pitch 4 good innings against anyone. His era blows up because he has a bad 5th and then gets pulled.

I'm only looking to get 4 solid from Rosario. Anything more is a bonus. He can pitch well against anyone. The opponent isn't the issue. It's all between his ears.

Rosario had one of his best starts in his career last year in the regional against South Alabama, which we barely won 1-0.

Just give him some run support and we CAN win with him just giving us a few innings.

Rosario had one of his best starts in his career last year in the regional against South Alabama, which we barely won 1-0.

Just give him some run support and we CAN win with him just giving us a few innings.
Under that logic we can start Radelunas. Give even the worst pitcher enough run support and they can get a win, which is probably the most antiquated and useless stat in baseball for pitchers.

Advertisement
Under that logic we can start Radelunas. Give even the worst pitcher enough run support and they can get a win, which is probably the most antiquated and useless stat in baseball for pitchers.
I'm far more concerned about our offense going into the postseason, it's been highly inconsistent. This is college baseball, you need to score runs to win.

First of all, we're all here on the CIS message board to give our opinions. Of course it's the coaches decision.
For evidence we got wins when Rosario pitched against UVA, GT, VT, and ND. All the top hitting teams in the ACC. He just didn't get through 5 in some them to qualify for the win. Against VT and GT he was our only win. At VT and GT, his era was 2 or less.

He just needs to break through mentally to get past 5 innings. He can pitch 4 good innings against anyone. His era blows up because he has a bad 5th and then gets pulled.

I'm only looking to get 4 solid from Rosario. Anything more is a bonus. He can pitch well against anyone. The opponent isn't the issue. It's all between his ears.
Pitchers like Rosario are the reason middle relievers became prevalent.

What's your wild hair for Rosario? If we had someone better as a weekend starter, he'd be out there.

Advertisement
Back