Canes bs Convicts Game 3 1pm ACCNX

Advertisement
Great regular season. I have a feeling we are going to have to beat the Gators in order to advance to the Super Regional. I could care less about the ACC tourney
I think they'll host if they don't crap the bed in SEC tourney - they've won 10 of their last 11.

Gino wasn’t going to do it anyway, but I think any thought of starting McFarlane or Gallo went out the window with Ziehl’s form. Need to get Gage another look next week. If he struggles again, you might think about pushing McFarlane and Gallo back into the primary setup roles.

Advertisement
Gino wasn’t going to do it anyway, but I think any thought of starting McFarlane or Gallo went out the window with Ziehl’s form. Need to get Gage another look next week. If he struggles again, you might think about pushing McFarlane and Gallo back into the primary setup roles.
Maybe, but McFarlane has been money in the middle inning, high leverage situations recently. That is when games are won and lost.

Maybe, but McFarlane has been money in the middle inning, high leverage situations recently. That is when games are won and lost.
I’d definitely rather Gage figure it out and leave things as they are

Advertisement
Ha - who knew. He doesn't get lot of breaks to be honest - bad defense several times, umpires' calls, etc.
He had pretty good stuff today. Just seems like when adversity rears it’s head he has trouble with it. Adversity is part of baseball… he needs to have the mindset that adversity is not a bad thing…it’s all how you react to it.

Fun fact: We’re 8-3 in games that Rosario starts. 7-2 since his return from injury.
That’s the fallacy of causation. A 7.21 ERA and a 1.84 WHIP strongly suggest he’s one of the worst pitchers in all of D1 baseball.

Advertisement
Ha - who knew. He doesn't get lot of breaks to be honest - bad defense several times, umpires' calls, etc.
It’s the same defense our other pitchers have and the same umps. He gave up 5 ER in 4 and 2/3. 2 wild pitches. 3 hit batters. He’s not unlucky- he’s simply a bad pitcher. 2 seasons is a big enough sample size.

There should be no way FSU hosts after their week.
Someone asked the question last week as to why anyone thinks we’re better than FSU.
One obvious reason is that they’re a horrible 6-14 road/neutral.

Best time to start him might be game 1 of a regional when his “stuff” might overwhelm a 4 seed. But even then you’re playing with fire because if he goes south early you’re going to eat up the bullpen.
I wouldn't start Rosario game 1. In regionals, you have to plan for at least 4 starters. You can't assume we go 3-0. Garland should pitch against the #4 seed which is basically a good midweek team. Rosario should pitch in game #4 if needed where you're going to use all the bullpen arms you have left. This way the bullpen doesn't get burned early.

The same thing goes for Ligon at this point. Give us 4-5 solid innings. We now have at least 4 bullpen arms we're confident in (McFarlane, Gallo, Ziehl, Walters). Don't pitch any of the bullpen guys more than 1 inning unless absolutely necessary. This way we have those 4 arms available for every regional game.

The ACC tournament will be an interesting trial run for the regional because you need 4 starters to play in the ACC Championship game. Miami faces Wake Forest and NC State. Wake Forest just swept NC State this weekend. What will Gino's strategy be? Does he pitch Palmquist against Wake Forest or does he save him for the Semi Final. I think Garland will pitch against NC State and Ligon will pitch against Wake Forest. Palmquist will pitch in the semi final and Rosario in the finals if we make it that far. This way all bullpen arms would be available on Sunday not worrying about burning anyone.

Edit:
Ligon and Rosario are scratched as starters for our pod games against NC State and Wake Forest because that would be no more than 3 days rest.

Garland has to start one of the pod games. I hope we get NC State first. Palmquist could pitch game #2, but that would be on 4-5 days rest depending when game #2 is played. If he does, I pitch him 3-4 innings and have him available for 1 inning on Sunday.

It would be better to pitch by committee against Wake Forest and have Garland go against NC State. This way we maintain our weekend rotation with Palmquist pitching in the semi final game with Ligon, Rosario, and the bullpen available for Sunday.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wouldn't start Rosario game 1. In regionals, you're going to need at least 4 starters. Garland should pitch against the #4 seed which is basically a good midweek team. Rosario should pitch the last game where you're going to use all the bullpen arms you have left. This way the bullpen doesn't get burned early.

The same thing goes for Ligon at this point. Give us 4-5 solid innings. We now have at least 4 bullpen arms we're confident in (McFarlane, Gallo, Ziehl, Walters). Don't pitch any of the bullpen guys more than 1 inning unless absolutely necessary. This way we have those 4 arms available for every regional game.

The ACC tournament will be an interesting trial run for the regional because you need 4 starters to play in the ACC Championship game. Miami faces Wake Forest and NC State. Wake Forest just swept NC State this weekend. What will Gino's strategy be? Does he pitch Palmquist against Wake Forest or does he save him for the Semi Final. I think Garland will pitch against NC State and Ligon will pitch against Wake Forest. Palmquist will pitch in the semi final and Rosario in the finals if we make it that far. This way all bullpen arms would be available on Sunday not worrying about burning anyone.
Maybe I worded that all wrong. I absolutely would not start Rosario in game 1. As @scane said, it should be Ligon game 1 and Palm game 2. My only point was that IF Gino was crazy enough to start Rosario in a regional, his best chance at any type of success would probably be in game 1 against a 4 seed

I wouldn't start Rosario game 1. In regionals, you're going to need at least 4 starters. Garland should pitch against the #4 seed which is basically a good midweek team. Rosario should pitch the last game where you're going to use all the bullpen arms you have left. This way the bullpen doesn't get burned early.

If there is a fourth game in the regionals, then we blew it as expected. This team should only have to play three games.

Maybe I worded that all wrong. I absolutely would not start Rosario in game 1. As @scane said, it should be Ligon game 1 and Palm game 2. My only point was that IF Gino was crazy enough to start Rosario in a regional, his best chance at any type of success would probably be in game 1 against a 4 seed
You cannot start Rosario and expect to win unless our bats are on fire. I've now seen him pitch live 5 starts. Watch, rinse and repeat. He was mental lapses that cannot be explained. The body language tells it all.

Advertisement
Back