Canes BB Recent Transfers Update

Luis Tuero- Bethune Cookman. Interestingly, he was on the Arizona team last year that knocked the Canes out of the regionals.
Ray Bermudez- Polk State College
Adrian Dominguez- Eastern Florida College

Advertisement
Advertisement
Chad Born named one of the top prospects in the ASun and is off to a good start for Coastal. Hits second and had a 2run bomb tonight in helping Coastal give Wake their first loss

Mike Rosario is batting .352 with 3 home runs and an OPS of 1.037 in the lead off spot for FIU. Also is 6-6 in stolen bases.

Advertisement
Alex Toral-FSU: Now the 3 hitter in the FSU lineup, (started the season as cleanup) he's hitting .286 with a .447% OBP and 1 HR
Jordan Lala-U of Tampa: Hitting .349 with a .483% OBP. Although Lala was the leadoff hitter for the better part of 3 seasons for the Canes, he's been relegated to the 5-7 spots for the DII Spartans.
Victor Mederos-Oklahoma State: Owner of a 4.00 ERA and an awful WHIP OF 1.89, Mederos was a no-decision in a Saturday night start win vs Vandy.
Ray Gil-Jacksonville U: Slashing .364/.432/.535 Gil is having a good season as a middle of the order hitter.
Adam Frank & Gabe Rivera-Nova SE U: Hitting .344 and .318 respectively and each with a HR for the 13-0 Sharks. Frank somewhat surprisingly bats ahead of Rivera in the order.
Luis Espinal-MDC: Hitting .370 for the Sharks
Jose Izarra-Florida Southwestern State: Hitting .324 with a pair of HR's.
Alex Munroe-Southeastern U: 3-0 with a 1.26 ERA as a reliever for the 21-0 (sic)!?! Fire.
Nicholas Regalado-Florida Southwestern State: 3-1 with a an 2.81 ERA as a starter for the Bucs.
Spencer Bodanza: Out of Baseball
Tony Jenkins: presumed out of baseball
I like these stats and update; thanks...

Alex Toral-FSU: Now the 3 hitter in the FSU lineup, (started the season as cleanup) he's hitting .286 with a .447% OBP and 1 HR
Jordan Lala-U of Tampa: Hitting .349 with a .483% OBP. Although Lala was the leadoff hitter for the better part of 3 seasons for the Canes, he's been relegated to the 5-7 spots for the DII Spartans.
Victor Mederos-Oklahoma State: Owner of a 4.00 ERA and an awful WHIP OF 1.89, Mederos was a no-decision in a Saturday night start win vs Vandy.
Ray Gil-Jacksonville U: Slashing .364/.432/.535 Gil is having a good season as a middle of the order hitter.
Adam Frank & Gabe Rivera-Nova SE U: Hitting .344 and .318 respectively and each with a HR for the 13-0 Sharks. Frank somewhat surprisingly bats ahead of Rivera in the order.
Luis Espinal-MDC: Hitting .370 for the Sharks
Jose Izarra-Florida Southwestern State: Hitting .324 with a pair of HR's.
Alex Munroe-Southeastern U: 3-0 with a 1.26 ERA as a reliever for the 21-0 (sic)!?! Fire.
Nicholas Regalado-Florida Southwestern State: 3-1 with a an 2.81 ERA as a starter for the Bucs.
Spencer Bodanza: Out of Baseball
Tony Jenkins: presumed out of baseball
Transferring did well for most

Advertisement
Kaden Martin going to Radford. He’s hitting .132 in the NECL.
The signs were there on the showcase circuit for multiple years. Hit .400 for 3 years in HS (including 1 in a Georgia powerhouse conference) but couldn't hit .250 in summer/fall.

Never figured out good pitching.

There has been an epic collapse of Tennessee HS baseball talent.. especially in the Knoxville area. From 2004-2012 that area was a baseball factory - probably top 10 baseball city in America. Higher per capita. Now I wouldn't say they're even top 30-40.

You couldn't play a conference game in AAA level baseball in Tennessee and not see 88+ my 2 years in TN HS baseball. I saw better arms there than I ever did in Miami Dade as a Freshman and Sophomore. Now its rare to see upper 80s. 6-8 kids combined from Knoxville into Northeast Tennessee that I'm aware of hitting 90 while having any pitchability.

Makes it very hard to judge talent anymore.

The signs were there on the showcase circuit for multiple years. Hit .400 for 3 years in HS (including 1 in a Georgia powerhouse conference) but couldn't hit .250 in summer/fall.

Never figured out good pitching.

There has been an epic collapse of Tennessee HS baseball talent.. especially in the Knoxville area. From 2004-2012 that area was a baseball factory - probably top 10 baseball city in America. Higher per capita. Now I wouldn't say they're even top 30-40.

You couldn't play a conference game in AAA level baseball in Tennessee and not see 88+ my 2 years in TN HS baseball. I saw better arms there than I ever did in Miami Dade as a Freshman and Sophomore. Now its rare to see upper 80s. 6-8 kids combined from Knoxville into Northeast Tennessee that I'm aware of hitting 90 while having any pitchability.

Makes it very hard to judge talent anymore.

Any idea why the decline in local talent?
It sounds odd given Tennessee's population is growing.
One would think with all these folks hailing California, Florida and the snow belt that it would be a plus for local baseball.

Advertisement
Any idea why the decline in local talent?
It sounds odd given Tennessee's population is growing.
One would think with all these folks hailing California, Florida and the snow belt that it would be a plus for local baseball.
Hard to really say. I've tried to figure it out myself. There's been an uptick in the caliber of coaching and lessons that are available in the area and exposure to strength and conditioning work. A lot of the same guys leading the same HS programs and programs like Webb that have better coaches than they had previously.

I grew up playing with Daniel Norris and he was throwing low 90s before he ever got exposed to legit coaching with an East Cobb program and eventually got up to 96-97 with them. I think we had 6 kids on our 14U team, including him, throwing 85+ and no one running that program or any coach we had before that did anything special. We just showed up to our first tournament the 13U season and he went from throwing probably 70 as a 12 year old to 80+ at 13.

You didn't see anyone working with legit pitching coaches in Northeast TN but I can still think of double digit kids throwing 90+ in that Big 8 conference in the Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol area from 2011-2013 and many still playing in the bigs or made it not that long ago. In Knoxville there were guys working with Larry Simcox and Rod Delmonico and the guys at that facility. That was about it and they're still around but they aren't pumping out the same caliber of prospects that they were when their kids were there and what ended up coming out of that dominant Farragut program.

Middle Tennessee has produced a lot of pitching talent over the last 10-12 years. Your insight into the lack of arms in east Tennessee is very interesting.
Walters State every year has a top program. I mean they have been good for a very long time.

Hard to really say. I've tried to figure it out myself. There's been an uptick in the caliber of coaching and lessons that are available in the area and exposure to strength and conditioning work. A lot of the same guys leading the same HS programs and programs like Webb that have better coaches than they had previously.

I grew up playing with Daniel Norris and he was throwing low 90s before he ever got exposed to legit coaching with an East Cobb program and eventually got up to 96-97 with them. I think we had 6 kids on our 14U team, including him, throwing 85+ and no one running that program or any coach we had before that did anything special. We just showed up to our first tournament the 13U season and he went from throwing probably 70 as a 12 year old to 80+ at 13.

You didn't see anyone working with legit pitching coaches in Northeast TN but I can still think of double digit kids throwing 90+ in that Big 8 conference in the Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol area from 2011-2013 and many still playing in the bigs or made it not that long ago. In Knoxville there were guys working with Larry Simcox and Rod Delmonico and the guys at that facility. That was about it and they're still around but they aren't pumping out the same caliber of prospects that they were when their kids were there and what ended up coming out of that dominant Farragut program.
I moved around a lot as a kid but was in the same school system as Farragut for a few years around Middle School (if we had stayed, would have graduated there class of '05). Multiple kids that I played with / against ended up D1 (Tony Delmonico at UT/FSU, Brett Basham at Ole Miss, etc)...and yet I felt like no one except people that paid REALLY close attention to the high school baseball scene knew it was a good baseball region at all.

Advertisement
Back