Canes BB Recent Transfers Update

Middle Tennessee has produced a lot of pitching talent over the last 10-12 years. Your insight into the lack of arms in east Tennessee is very interesting.
Walters State every year has a top program. I mean they have been good for a very long time.
It also seems like 90% of the big time HS arms in the state come out of Middle TN these days. It has shifted.

Walters State takes a lot of kids in the region and turns them into better players than anyone at the HS level expects them to be. They've signed the hardest thrower in the area in Gage Peterson this year as well.

Most recently they took Colby Backus - now at Tennessee. He was a decent catcher but didn't hit for any pop at all.. hit 1 homerun his senior year and it was just because he hit it off a 90mph fastball and it was in the conference tournament (off Gage Peterson - mentioned above - as a sophomore)

Now he was an All American at Walters State, hit 19 home runs, enrolled at Tennessee and playing summer ball locally and leading all collegiate summer leagues in homeruns.

Advertisement
I can say it now, but I was told last Fall that Kaden Martin "might not ever get an at-bat here, not good enough. The guy you really want to watch is Blake Cyr, that kid can play." Not from a fan, but from a coach.
So, why did we recruit him? And who's going to avoid those mistakes w the current staff?

It also seems like 90% of the big time HS arms in the state come out of Middle TN these days. It has shifted.

Walters State takes a lot of kids in the region and turns them into better players than anyone at the HS level expects them to be. They've signed the hardest thrower in the area in Gage Peterson this year as well.

Most recently they took Colby Backus - now at Tennessee. He was a decent catcher but didn't hit for any pop at all.. hit 1 homerun his senior year and it was just because he hit it off a 90mph fastball and it was in the conference tournament (off Gage Peterson - mentioned above - as a sophomore)

Now he was an All American at Walters State, hit 19 home runs, enrolled at Tennessee and playing summer ball locally and leading all collegiate summer leagues in homeruns.
Sounds like we should have hired the Walters State coach.

So, why did we recruit him? And who's going to avoid those mistakes w the current staff?
Lots of tools. Got to fall camp and they quickly saw he wasn’t good enough.

You can see where he landed to know that it quickly got around that others saw it that way as well.

As for the evaluation, I didn’t ask.

I can say it now, but I was told last Fall that Kaden Martin "might not ever get an at-bat here, not good enough. The guy you really want to watch is Blake Cyr, that kid can play." Not from a fan, but from a coach.
Heard the same and was suspect of the source. I had bought into the hype from PG and all the hype vids.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
This is what some of us have meant when we criticized Gino for being a lazy recruiter. He just trusted some travel ball hype. Didn’t get out there to find out if the kid was legit. At this level, you don’t ever “wait til fall camp” to find out how good someone is.

Advertisement
Is JD absolutely doing nothing in the portal? What’s going on? Why can’t we attract some D1 top tier transfers?

Advertisement
Back