Canes BB Recent Transfers Update

I was always under the impression that the Toral problem was our staff (not saying the regression our players typically have isn't) but this dude seems to interested in his power numbers to do what it takes to help his team win. Cant coach selfish players

What sort of "typical regression" are you referring to? I mean, sure there are players who don't improve, but what happened in 2021 isnt really typical. Even Toral took a massive jump forward from his frosh year to his soph/jr years before that.

This year in particular that's a weird thing to say as the guys who have returned - Kayfus, Pitelli, and Morales - all have noticeably gotten better. The issue with the lineup this year is more about talent. With Carrier and Perez hurt they have 2 spots being filled by either Juco transfer backups or frosh who just aren't ready yet.

Advertisement
What sort of "typical regression" are you referring to? I mean, sure there are players who don't improve, but what happened in 2021 isnt really typical. Even Toral took a massive jump forward from his frosh year to his soph/jr years before that.

This year in particular that's a weird thing to say as the guys who have returned - Kayfus, Pitelli, and Morales - all have noticeably gotten better. The issue with the lineup this year is more about talent. With Carrier and Perez hurt they have 2 spots being filled by either Juco transfer backups or frosh who just aren't ready yet.
Any word on when Carrier and/or Perez might return?

I would have gladly kept Lala. He would’ve fixed our outfield issues and been a good enough 8-9 hitter. He wasn’t an ACC caliber leadoff guy, but he was good enough to play for this team. Can’t replace that experience and we wouldn’t be looking for a freshman to figure it out.

I would have gladly kept Lala. He would’ve fixed our outfield issues and been a good enough 8-9 hitter. He wasn’t an ACC caliber leadoff guy, but he was good enough to play for this team. Can’t replace that experience and we wouldn’t be looking for a freshman to figure it out.
But yet it took Gino a full season to move him down in order. It’s been a trend under Gino; leaving dudes in spots they don’t belong for too long.

I hope Romero breaks this streak but that’s the current one on this years club

Advertisement
But yet it took Gino a full season to move him down in order. It’s been a trend under Gino; leaving dudes in spots they don’t belong for too long.

I hope Romero breaks this streak but that’s the current one on this years club
I would put Burke behind Morales, but Gino seems to need a lefty bat behind Yoyo. This weekend's heroics notwithstanding, do you trust Pitelli there?

Through 27 games Romero leads the team in rbi (well, tied at 27 with Burke and Pitelli [who had 10 last week]). Should he have 8 or 10 more? Yes, I think so. Are the 35 k's in 95 ab's an issue? Obviously. Though I don't think moving him down in the order will change his approach much (and the approach seems to be the issue, because the swing is there). The big 2 out, 2 rbi single on Saturday against Clemson was a rope over the shortstops head and then again this Sunday he hit one off the blue monster in left - so we know he's capable of letting the ball travel and working the back side, I just wish we saw some more of it.

And, ultimately, he's doing what you want your 4 hole to do - drive in runs (if he stays at 1 rbi/game he will net close to 60 - Yoyo paced us last year with just 45).

I would put Burke behind Morales, but Gino seems to need a lefty bat behind Yoyo. This weekend's heroics notwithstanding, do you trust Pitelli there?

Through 27 games Romero leads the team in rbi (well, tied at 27 with Burke and Pitelli [who had 10 last week]). Should he have 8 or 10 more? Yes, I think so. Are the 35 k's in 95 ab's an issue? Obviously. Though I don't think moving him down in the order will change his approach much (and the approach seems to be the issue, because the swing is there). The big 2 out, 2 rbi single on Saturday against Clemson was a rope over the shortstops head and then again this Sunday he hit one off the blue monster in left - so we know he's capable of letting the ball travel and working the back side, I just wish we saw some more of it.

And, ultimately, he's doing what you want your 4 hole to do - drive in runs (if he stays at 1 rbi/game he will net close to 60 - Yoyo paced us last year with just 45).
Great post. Agree on all fronts. I think a lot of the frustration for most of us has been he’s been a black hole in acc play. I don’t remember the number but @scane mentioned it was quite abysmal during sundays game. I don’t know the breakdown but am curious how many of those 27 RBI’s came in acc play. I hope he goes on a tear because we definitely need him during this stretch

Great post. Agree on all fronts. I think a lot of the frustration for most of us has been he’s been a black hole in acc play. I don’t remember the number but @scane mentioned it was quite abysmal during sundays game. I don’t know the breakdown but am curious how many of those 27 RBI’s came in acc play. I hope he goes on a tear because we definitely need him during this stretch
Currently .178 in ACC play with 9 RBIs. Again tonight he was 1-1 with RISP and 0-3 otherwise. It’s a really odd one.

Last edited:
Currently .178 in ACC play with 9 RBIs. Again tonight he was 1-1 with RISP and 0-3 otherwise. It’s a really odd one.
He simply has to hit for more power to stay in the 4 hole, given his propensity to strike out a lot. He's not reliable enough to put the ball in play when you need it as a true 4 hole hitter IMO. I hope he proves me wrong, as I love his attitude - doesn't get down on himself.

But look at CDC for example - nowhere near the power potential as Romero, but I'd take him any day of the week as clean-up. He's gone obviously, but Burke and/or Pitelli seem like better fits when you need something other than a K in key situations. As scane pointed out above, a lot of his RBIs have come when it didn't matter.

Advertisement

Del and Toral come to the forefront of the mind. The comment about Toral’s selfishness withstanding, I have not been impressed with Yoyo’s progression as a hitter at all.

Maybe a product of being a young kid and the moment, pressure of the being where he is in the lineup but I think his performance thus far hearken’s the board’s ‘regression’ fears.

Del and Toral come to the forefront of the mind. The comment about Toral’s selfishness withstanding, I have not been impressed with Yoyo’s progression as a hitter at all.

Maybe a product of being a young kid and the moment, pressure of the being where he is in the lineup but I think his performance thus far hearken’s the board’s ‘regression’ fears.
The entire 2019 team regressed as a whole. I forgot the stud shortstop who we lost for whole year in 20 but the entire young team that went to Starkville regional in 19 regressed substantially before leaving Miami. Given the fact that Gino gutted pretty much the entire team makes me believe it was more of a mental thing with those guys than a lack of development. Only time will tell, but for the first time in A long time I’ve seen guys develop this off-season and into this year. Pitelli and Yoyo are great examples of that.

???? Yoyo is hitting 318 vs 284, obp 440 vs 343, in pace to equal Hr numbers and exceed Rbi numbers. Regression?? Come on man.

You should look again at Yoyo's numbers from last year compared to this year. If that isn't definite progression, I don't know what is. He's also noticeably developed physically and in his approach.

And yeah 2021 was concerning, but Covid protocols made it a tough year. If that lack of development happened this year, it'd be a major red flag on the coaching. But we're clearly a much better team this year imo

Advertisement
You should look again at Yoyo's numbers from last year compared to this year. If that isn't definite progression, I don't know what is. He's also noticeably developed physically and in his approach.

And yeah 2021 was concerning, but Covid protocols made it a tough year. If that lack of development happened this year, it'd be a major red flag on the coaching. But we're clearly a much better team this year imo
Couldn’t agree more… Yo-Yo… Pitelli… and I’ll even throw Walters in there as sensation….

Absolutely agree with this being a much better team, pleased with the talent in this freshman class, some guys have certainly surprised and impressed to boot. And I’m with you on the outside factors playing a role in the 2021 squad, you can’t write them out of the story.

Back to Yo-yo, I see the numbers, I can’t agree more with the physical progression point. Also super pleased with his attitude, he hustles quite a bit more than I expected from a guy with his natural ability (I don’t know him); seems to be fully on board.

Perhaps my expectations are too high but I find myself consistently witnessing a pre-decisional approach at the plate, I hoped to see that nearly gone. That can’t be ignored because his numbers impress, it will be exposed more frequently as we move forward. Again, he’s still a kid and there’s a reason I mention the situational aspect, Gino finds a way to consistently frustrate me with his lineup, though he’s been a hair less static than I anticipated. Point being I certainly don’t think he’s consistently put him in a chance to eliminate the pressures that force Yoyo into that pre-decisional approach I mentioned. I think that’s where that PTSD comes from, despite the team success. I’m not here to knock Yoyo down a peg in everyone’s eyes.

Obviously pulling for the boys, just starting the FIU game now.

Couldn’t agree more… Yo-Yo… Pitelli… and I’ll even throw Walters in there as sensation….
Pitelli has been awesome man, fun to watch. From my perspective he benefitted so much from hitting down and getting comfortable, and he’s producing in big time moments. (Just saw the homer, btw).

Obviously one thing doesn’t flat out equal the other but I think that’s helped him, he’s been a very cool dude in the box. End of the day that’s my interpretation of what I’m seeing, I’m not with the kids, don’t know what they work on day to day, don’t have a plug to tell me who’s a great kid, who’s a ****. Just drawing.

Advertisement
Alex Toral is now batting .203 with 63Ks in 143 AB's. I'll give Dimare credit for telling him his services were no longer needed. Yikes.
Victor Mederos has a 6.55 ERA with a 1.52 WHIP. Another bullet dodged!
Mederos has a lower Era than Rosario. But agree we don't miss either of these two.

Advertisement
Back