Canes Baseball Coaching Staff Discussion

Fire Gino DiMare

• Total voters
Advertisement
Never hire a coach from a failed regime & especially one u can’t fire.

Hopefully Gino proves us wrong, but for some reason, I’ve had this gut feeling, a feeling that’s been amplified for 16 yrs now, that no matter the talent, no matter the staff, when the head man is still the head man, our ceiling is the NCAA Tourney w/ a slight chance into SR every so often.

Maybe those results r fine for a TX St or some other Conference USA Cinderella story, but not us. We’re baseball royalty. Yes we haven’t won a Natty since ‘01, but we’ve always been in the CWS competing for one for a great stretch. We’re top T-5 all-time in titles. It’s amazing how both SC & Miami have mirrored each other in football & baseball since 2006. Difference is SC made a wholesale change to both football & now baseball this off season; we’re 1 of 2 thus far.

Vish always delivers…. Especially when programs future looks bleak. Have Read many of these types of articles over the years from him about football
Did anyone post on that smaller board he used to run or be part of? They still might. There were some great debates on there in the Shannon/Golden years.

Advertisement
Never hire a coach from a failed regime & especially one u can’t fire.

Hopefully Gino proves us wrong, but for some reason, I’ve had this gut feeling, a feeling that’s been amplified for 16 yrs now, that no matter the talent, no matter the staff, when the head man is still the head man, our ceiling is the NCAA Tourney w/ a slight chance into SR every so often.

Maybe those results r fine for a TX St or some other Conference USA Cinderella story, but not us. We’re baseball royalty. Yes we haven’t won a Natty since ‘01, but we’ve always been in the CWS competing for one for a great stretch. We’re top T-5 all-time in titles. It’s amazing how both SC & Miami have mirrored each other in football & baseball since 2006. Difference is SC made a wholesale change to both football & now baseball this off season; we’re 1 of 2 thus far.

Hiring from failed regimes has been our sorry calling card across different sports by the past regime... hopefully the new group goes a different direction.

1654725260930.png

I said in another thread that Gino reminded me of Coker.An asst. who should have never gotten the keys to a Ferrari because they were still learning to drive a Buick.A Buick with auto pilot no less.

Both got the keys to a very successful program not because they were overly qualified but because of other circumstances.Coker ,because the players knew they could run him over and Gino because of his daddy’s money.

Well we all saw what hiring Coker has led to.Two decades of a crumbling program.Now here comes Gino another unqualified appointee and we’re headed in the same direction.

Well people with means have finally had enough and are attempting to right the football program back to where it should be.Hopefully those same people are willing to put up their money to fix all Miami sports so we don’t need to be held hostage by the couple of million dollars Gino’s old man donates.

It took us pretty much two decades to hopefully right the football program and I sure hope these people don’t allow the once proud baseball program to crumble before they decide to fix it.

There’s a ton of young talent on the baseball team.I just hope someone is put in charge that can put them on the track back to the elite and is not left to a guy that doesn’t know enough to have his hitters adjust to pitchers throwing 85 mph fastballs and 75 mph breaking balls.

Gino is NOT the answer.The baseball team will win its share of games in the ACC.enough to make the ncaa tournament because it only takes being in the top 64 to make it.They may even win enough to host a regional like this year because of their talent.But they will never get back to elite status of regularly making it to Omaha under the present staff.They just aren’t qualified enough.

I just hope Rad decides to fix this before it gets to the point of no return that they let the football program fall to and it’s two decades before we become decent again .

I know it won’t happen this year and it’s a shame cause I really believe there’s enough young talent there and with the kids coming in to make a run in the next couple years.It won’t happen IMHO unless changes are made.

Advertisement
I think there's a lot of raw emotion from the regional loss. People forget this is a very young team. I did expect them to get to the Super Regionals, but not get to Omaha.

The glaring issue to me is hitting. I've complained about the hitting approach for several years now. What bothers me is Gino's unwillingness to change. You have to evaluate yourself against your peers.

Why are the same ACC teams always at the top of the conference in hitting? It's not by chance. It is the type of player they are recruiting along with the philosophy and instruction. It's not that hard. Take a look at your peers and duplicate the best parts that make them successful.

It's apparent to me that the UM guys that are successful are doing so because of their own talent and not the instruction from the coaching staff. I think any improvement in hitting will come from summer ball. We had 4 guys that hit well durring the season and in the 2nd half (Burke, Kayfus, Morales, and Romero). The rest of the guys got worse. They're hitting approaches were terrible.

The team needs a new hitting coach and a completely different hitting philosophy. Some basic drills I learned in high school could benefit this team. They are the worst offspeed hitting team I've ever seen. It's like they're taught to only hit fastballs. Most guess at pitches rather than looking at a certain zone where you can hit a fastball or offspeed pitch.

If Gino doesn’t change his hitting philosophy and the team performs poorly again, then he should be let go. You can't keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result

The pitching staff is fine. They had their bad moments. Again, it's a young pitching staff. They should be really good next year if we don't lose too many who are draft eligible. Palmquist and Walters are gone for sure. McFarlane I believe is draft eligible, but I think he needs another year and he could be big for us next year.

I agree with others that next year is Super Regionals or bust. However, I want to see a dramatic change in the offense. I'd also like to see more athletic outfielders recruited. It's sad to say, but some of our outfielders look like softball players. Just about every team in the entire NCAA tournament had athletic outfielders. We are definitely the least athletic outfield in the ACC. Give me athletes and teach them how to hit. I don't care if a kid hit .400 in high school. If he's a liability in the field, he can only be a DH. We have too many DH's on the team.

Raising the number of scholarships from 11.7 would be the most helpful thing to help the program.
Yes, the scholarship limit should be icreased.
Miami can make up the difference in scholarships with NIL money. Thst is an advantage for UM.

What we need is a new hitting coach with a completely different hitting philosophy.

Last edited:
scholarship cap/high tuition isn’t our issue. Please stop posting this nonsense on the board. It’s the lazy recruiting evaluations that lead to Gino and JD not wanting to leave the tri county area for a player unless they are forced too. On paper Miami baseball Recruiting is on par with the football powerhouses like Ohio State, Georgia , bama, etc…. We don’t develop for **** and we are the definition of “perfect game” all stars.

We can’t continue to recruit top 5 nationally each and every single year and scream the scholarship rule is hurting us.

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of raw emotion from the regional loss. People forget this is a very young team. I did expect them to get to the Super Regionals, but not get to Omaha.

The glaring issue to me is hitting. I've complained about the hitting approach for several years now. What bothers me is Gino's unwillingness to change. You have to evaluate yourself against your peers.

Why are the same ACC teams always at the top of the conference in hitting? It's not by chance. It is the type of player they are recruiting along with the philosophy and instruction. It's not that hard. Take a look at your peers and duplicate the best parts that make them successful.

It's apparent to me that the UM guys that are successful are doing so because of their own talent and not the instruction from the coaching staff. I think any improvement in hitting will come from summer ball. We had 4 guys that hit well durring the season and in the 2nd half (Burke, Kayfus, Morales, and Romero). The rest of the guys got worse. They're hitting approaches were terrible.

The team needs a new hitting coach and a completely different hitting philosophy. Some basic drills I learned in high school could benefit this team. They are the worst offspeed hitting team I've ever seen. It's like they're taught to only hit fastballs. Most guess at pitches rather than looking at a certain zone where you can hit a fastball or offspeed pitch.

If Gino doesn’t change his hitting philosophy and the team performs poorly again, then he should be let go. You can't keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result

The pitching staff is fine. They had their bad moments. Again, it's a young pitching staff. They should be really good next year if we don't lose too many who are draft eligible. Palmquist and Walters are gone for sure. McFarlane I believe is draft eligible, but I think he needs another year and he could be big for us next year.

I agree with others that next year is Super Regionals or bust. However, I want to see a dramatic change in the offense. I'd also like to see more athletic outfielders recruited. It's sad to say, but some of our outfielders look like softball players. Just about every team in the entire NCAA tournament had athletic outfielders. We are definitely the least athletic outfield in the ACC. Give me athletes and teach them how to hit. I don't care if a kid hit .400 in high school. If he's a liability in the field, he can only be a DH. We have too many DH's on the team.
The first three ACC teams I looked at had a comparable number of freshman to Miami. Most teams don't have many seniors, anyway. I can't find any evidence that Miami is any younger or older than the typical ACC roster.l

Advertisement
The first three ACC teams I looked at had a comparable number of freshman to Miami. Most teams don't have many seniors, anyway. I can't find any evidence that Miami is any younger or older than the typical ACC roster.l
Having seniors is highly over rated by some. Just means they were not good enough to be drafted as jrs for the most part. Would much rather have a team with draft worthy jrs

We had no seniors and only had 6 juniors on the entire roster in which 4 of them contributed. Everyone else was Rsh/Covid sophomore or less.

Some of the sophomores are draft eligible. We likely lose Palmquist, Walters, and maybe Burke and McFarlane. I think Burke and McFarlane could benefit from another year.

Everyone else could come back. Some will transfer due to the 2023 recruits. I hope Burke comes back. Hopefully, Lorenzo Carrier gets healthy and can play summer ball. Long, Burke, and Carrier would be my starting lineup unless we get some stud 2023 outfielders.

The entire infield nucleus is intact. Maybe someone pushes Pitelli at SS and Gonzalez at 2B.

I'm expecting this team to win the ACC and make it to Omaha next year. As I stated earlier, I'm not a fan of the offense and I believe it needs a complete reboot.

If the hitting instruction doesn't change, we'll be only slightly better than 2022 because of summer ball growth and new recruits. We will squeeze out games because our pitching will be one of the best staffs in the ACC. I want better hitting with more runs scored to take the stress off the pitching staff.

We need a hitting coach like what VT has. I've watched a bunch of their games. They have compact powerful swings. That is either taught or recruited to those type of players. They hit fastballs and offspeed pitches. They also have an aggressive approach at the plate within the strike zone.

A lot of our players have longer swings and strikeout a lot. Compact and powerful is the way to go especially in college baseball with metal bats. You get to see the pitch a little longer and put more balls into play. Powerful compact swings are what I would be recruiting and teaching.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Our pitching staff is going to be good Next year? Am I missing something?

Palmquist and Walters are gone.

Arms: Ligon, Ziehl, Mcfarlane?, Gallo, Rosario?, Garland?, Rafe… I know I’m missing a few

That’s ^ the best pitching rotation in the acc? Not seeing that at all

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our staff is going to be good Next year? Am I missing something?

Palmquist and Walters are gone.

Arms: Ligon, Ziehl, Mcfarlane?, Gallo, Rosario?, Garland?, Torres… I know I’m missing a few

That’s ^ the best pitching rotation in the acc. Not seeing that at all
At least 1 draft projection has McFarlane in top 5 rounds. If that happens unlikely he comes back. NIL could possibly make a difference with drafted players. First year for that so who knows?

We have the arm talent to be one of if not the best staffs in the ACC...but a few of them have to make a big jump in the next 8 months. ANd like we've mentiond I just dont know if this staff can help these players make this jump. The Cape is great to face the best but for the most part those coaches are baby sitting and not messing with anyone.

The velo and stuff is there...but right now most of them are throwers. Ligon seems to know how to pitch but he had the look of a freshman who was questioning his stuff at the end and with his last few starts he was overthinking and trying to be perfect. Ligon would be an awesome #3 to run out after 2 guys with big league stuff. Frustrate the **** out of guys working in/out/up down, changing speeds, throwing 2-1 Changes ups and getting weak contact.

Having seniors is highly over rated by some. Just means they were not good enough to be drafted as jrs for the most part. Would much rather have a team with draft worthy jrs
Yup. Watched that Arkansas true frosh LHP Smith come in game 3 versus Ok State and was not phased by the moment - kid was legit. If you're good you're good no matter the age.

On a side note the school up north who hired a family member is going through the exact same arguments. He has one year left and they want change. If they are smart they will hire Bell from Pitt he has done wonders at PItt in just 4 years including the COVID years. It may not look it but they are building a pretty legit Northern program. Mercandante is one of his assistants.

Advertisement
Back