Canes Baseball Coaching Staff Discussion

Fire Gino DiMare

• Total voters

DiMare is in contract talks now for an extension.
frustrated andy griffith GIF
Immediately after a weekend where you get embarrassed on your own field as a superseed, when you've lost 4 of your last 5 NCAAT games, all to lower-seeded teams, that's definitely the time to sign the manager to an extension. Some real old Hecht mentality

Advertisement
I can't access the Herald - what does it say? Surely, Radakovich didn't initiate this, did he?

I can't access the Herald - what does it say? Surely, Radakovich didn't initiate this, did he?

"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the last war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Oh I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by the bye
And a parting on the left
Is now a parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Writer(s): Peter Townshend

Advertisement
I found the article - here's my take: a contract extension for a baseball coach, especially one who apparently donates his salary, doesn't mean a lot since he is zero cost already. That said, if he's going to be here a few more years, at least do what Canephilly suggested and go spend some money and get a good offensive guy who knows more than just hitting, e.g. how to put pressure on the other team's defense, aggressive on the bases, can coach third, etc.

Let Gino be CEO and shake up the roster like he did last year. And keep expanding his recruiting areas and use of the potal such as w Ziehl, Carrier, Burke and Romero. But hire an offense minded, eat-what-you-kill COO type to develop the position players and run the in-game offense.

I found the article - here's my take: a contract extension for a baseball coach, especially one who apparently donates his salary, doesn't mean a lot since he is zero cost already. That said, if he's going to be here a few more years, at least do what Canephilly suggested and go spend some money and get a good offensive guy who knows more than just hitting, e.g. how to put pressure on the other team's defense, aggressive on the bases, can coach third, etc.

Let Gino be CEO and shake up the roster like he did last year. And keep expanding his recruiting areas and use of the potal such as w Ziehl, Carrier, Burke and Romero. But hire an offense minded, eat-what-you-kill COO type to develop the position players and run the in-game offense.

Sounds like our football board 2 years ago

Sounds like our football board 2 years ago
Which part, because letting a zero cost baseball coach go in the middle of a contract is a lot cheaper and easier than a multi-million dollar football coach's contract.

And personally, I wish he didn't donate his salary because you feel more accountable when you are being paid a lot of money to get performance.

Which part, because letting a zero cost baseball coach go in the middle of a contract is a lot cheaper and easier than a multi-million dollar football coach's contract.

And personally, I wish he didn't donate his salary because you feel more accountable when you are being paid a lot of money to get performance.

Wasn’t a knock on your post, I agree it’s our best route forward for next season.

Just ironic how similar the situation is to Manny’s tenure. Hired from a failing regime lead by a coach far past his prime — nepotism involved, fans turn on him but know he won’t be let go just yet, so the compromise is that he take on a CEO role and hire a coach to run what is supposed to be his specialty. Use the portal to mask recruiting mistakes.

Next is the part when fans realize no coach worth anything will want to hurt their career by joining a failing regime, although our baseball program is in better shape than our football program was.

Advertisement
Wasn’t a knock on your post, I agree it’s our best route forward for next season.

Just ironic how similar the situation is to Manny’s tenure. Hired from a failing regime lead by a coach far past his prime — nepotism involved, fans turn on him but know he won’t be let go just yet, so the compromise is that he take on a CEO role and hire a coach to run what is supposed to be his specialty. Use the portal to mask recruiting mistakes.

Next is the part when fans realize no coach worth anything will want to hurt their career by joining a failing regime, although our baseball program is in better shape than our football program was.
Got it - I honestly haven't followed football as closely. I absolutely knew we had no chance of competing w the Bama's, etc. whereas I still held out hope for baseball.

One way to fix Canes baseball: Use some of the Tomato money (with some help from Ruiz also). Load the roster with talent.

Hitting: Look hard at hiring a different hitting coach as we've got to get more production out of the significant majority of the lineup. I wasn't terribly impressed by our inability to advance runners on base during the regional. We weren't very good at putting the bat on the ball during the regional whether it was directional hitting, bunting or power hitting.

Pitching: Others who follow the program more closely, should JD have done a better job fixing Rosario sooner? Rosario pitched well in the recent regional. Too little too late by JD (he should have done more sooner to fix Rosario) or he's a miracle worker that helped to fix a pitcher that's really struggled mentally? Walters (whose been an absolute stud for us) did struggle with control against Arizona when he went away from the fastball. Something JD should have worked more with him on or put it down to pressure and mistakes happening from time to time? Ligon?

Recruiting 3-4 power hitters, a short stop that can hit the ball (in addition to playing defense) and 2-3 live arms (preferably experienced) is probably the quickest fix.

We've got to use NIL to our advantage now to seriously upgrade the talent. With NIL, the tuition excuse isn't really valid anymore.

"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

Just like yesterday

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the last war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Oh I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by the bye
And a parting on the left
Is now a parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Writer(s): Peter Townshend
Was about to write “something about meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sprinkle

Just entered the Portal. Some talk of being a 1st round pick prior to the season. Had a down year. But here is your leadoff/SS that immediately changes your lineup, your run game, and your defense. If he slips far enough put his face on a can of tomato sauce and bring him in.

Pitelli is a nice player - would probably thrive at a smaller school but if they cut ties it wouldnt shock me if he ended up with Lala at Tampa.

to show you how stats can be really misleading. This might not be exact as I did it on my phone but so I apologize if they are not spot on.

In 11 games vs BC, S Dakota St, Towson and FIU.

25/57 - .439, w/16 Run, 8 Home Runs, 32 RBI's

The other 49 games:
30/164 - .183, w/23 runs, 0 Home Runs, 13 RBI's.

Last edited:
Sprinkle

Just entered the Portal. Some talk of being a 1st round pick prior to the season. Had a down year. But here is your leadoff/SS that immediately changes your lineup, your run game, and your defense. If he slips far enough put his face on a can of tomato sauce and bring him in.
I love watching that kid play. No clue if he’ll come across the country, but UCLA has their SS. Arizona has theirs, don’t think he leaves. Stanford SS will probably be back as well. Oregon SS should be back. Oregon St SS will be back, not a great hitter though. And Arizona St is a sh*t show.

So unless he goes and steals a job (Oregon St is the only likely place he’d have a chance to) we could have a good a chance as anybody, again assuming distance isn’t an issue.

I love watching that kid play. No clue if he’ll come across the country, but UCLA has their SS. Arizona has theirs, don’t think he leaves. Stanford SS will probably be back as well. Oregon SS should be back. Oregon St SS will be back, not a great hitter though. And Arizona St is a sh*t show.

So unless he goes and steals a job (Oregon St is the only likely place he’d have a chance to) we could have a good a chance as anybody, again assuming distance isn’t an issue.
Maybe Drew R can get him on board can "encourage" him to play his last season close to him to help "mentor" and so he can monitor him and start setting him up for next years draft when he can then sign with him....a lot of rules to skirt around. But get creative.

Maybe Drew R can get him on board can "encourage" him to play his last season close to him to help "mentor" and so he can monitor him and start setting him up for next years draft when he can then sign with him....a lot of rules to skirt around. But get creative.
That kid is certainly worth it. Idc how good the incoming freshman are, he’s proven. You give him the day 1 spot and call it a day.

Advertisement
Back